Kris Boyd - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Kris Boyd

robbo cop

I see Kris Boyd is saying he is open to a Scotland call up. I know we lack strikers but surely not as we have got to look to the future. To be fair, when he was on his first stint at Rangers he could have and should have played more, but then fell out with the management team. If Jason Cummings keeps banging them in I would sooner have him in the squad.

3 hours ago, robbo cop said:

If Jason Cummings keeps banging them in I would sooner have him in the squad.

When did he start banging them in? Does he usually start for Rangers?  The more I think about the more it appears that we should play some one with footballing ability up front rather than just picking some one simply because he plays up front for his team.

3 hours ago, robbo cop said:

If Jason Cummings keeps banging them in I would sooner have him in the squad.

Off the top of my head he's scored 1 goal in the league against Ross County and a few in the cup against a league 2 side and a struggling Falkirk side. He's nowhere near good enough yet

Kris Boyd over Jason Cummings for me

1 minute ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Off the top of my head he's scored 1 goal in the league against Ross County and a few in the cup against a league 2 side and a struggling Falkirk side. He's nowhere near good enough yet

Kris Boyd over Jason Cummings for me

I'd pick you over either of them DTS.

1 minute ago, Barney Rubble said:

I'd pick you over either of them DTS.

Your saying that in jest but if the game was played doon Portybelly Pitz you'd be surprised. 

I wisnae bad on the five a side astros, I just didn't have the pace for the 11s but the ball stuck to my feet like glue. If I had an extra dozen yards of pace I'd have been at Real Madrid

He should never have been allowed a second chance after walking out before. The nonsense about the manager was garbage. You don’t play for the manager, you play for your country.

Edited by Ormond

On ‎11‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 2:29 PM, ceudmilefailte said:

When did he start banging them in? Does he usually start for Rangers?  The more I think about the more it appears that we should play some one with footballing ability up front rather than just picking some one simply because he plays up front for his team.

He just scored a hatrick the other week  .......zzzzzzzzzzz

1 minute ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Against a struggling championship side

What has Matt Philips done?...that's what I am getting at, would rather have just about anybody instead of him. I would rather give players a chance before having a go at them, but then that's what we do.

1 minute ago, robbo cop said:

What has Matt Philips done?...that's what I am getting at, would rather have just about anybody instead of him. I would rather give players a chance before having a go at them, but then that's what we do.

Nothing, looked decent against Lithuania but offered hee haw in the following games 

Striking situation isn't great right now.

Griffiths and Fletcher both out.
Watt without a club.
Cummings unimpressive (failed in the championship, bench player for Rangers with 1 league goal)
Stevie May's not remembered where the goal is.
Naismith seems washed up.
Rhodes off form.
Chris Martin has 2 goals all season.

McBurnie is a bit of a godsend, and is banging them in in the championship.

But after him.. there's very little right now.
Part of me says we should go 2 up top, and put McBurnie in with Rhodes. Rhodes has quality, he's shown that in the past, to a level that only Griffiths (from that list) can compare with. Seems McLeish is set on playing a lone striker with 2 supporting wide men tho.

9 minutes ago, andyD said:

Striking situation isn't great right now.

Griffiths and Fletcher both out.
Watt without a club.
Cummings unimpressive (failed in the championship, bench player for Rangers with 1 league goal)
Stevie May's not remembered where the goal is.
Naismith seems washed up.
Rhodes off form.
Chris Martin has 2 goals all season.

McBurnie is a bit of a godsend, and is banging them in in the championship.

Part of me says we should go 2 up top, and put McBurnie in with Rhodes. Rhodes has quality, he's shown that in the past, to a level that only Griffiths (from that list) can compare with. Seems McLeish is set on playing a lone striker with 2 supporting wide men tho.

What about playing somebody out of position up front?

2 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

What about playing somebody out of position up front?

I thought about 352 or 3511 with Ryan Fraser roaming in behind McBurnie. That could work.
Or we just play Armstrong or Cairney right up in a number 10 role.

I think we should have gambled on Rhodes tho. With the state of things we can't afford for him to be off form long term. Griffiths and McBurnie will likely end up the first choices, but we need depth beyond them, so anything we can do to help Rhodes get some of his mojo back is worth doing. Those three seem to be the only real goalscorers we have.

22 minutes ago, andyD said:

Tell me whe Rhodes has ever shown that he has quality when he's played for Scotland.  Actually, tell me when he's ever showed quality when up against any kind of serious opposition.  Can you also tell me what the lottery numbers will be for Friday as you must be Mystic Meg if you can tell what McLeish is "set on" playing before he's actually named a team let alone played a game.

14 minutes ago, aaid said:

Tell me whe Rhodes has ever shown that he has quality when he's played for Scotland.  Actually, tell me when he's ever showed quality when up against any kind of serious opposition.  Can you also tell me what the lottery numbers will be for Friday as you must be Mystic Meg if you can tell what McLeish is "set on" playing before he's actually named a team let alone played a game.

It's just an opinion, the word "seems" gives it away

58 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

It's just an opinion, the word "seems" gives it away

Opinions are fine but they are usually based on some form of evidence,. If they aren't then it's called guessing. 

2 hours ago, aaid said:

Rhodes will almost certainly finish up at the all time top scorer in the english championship. So he can score, we know that for certain.
For us.. he's barely been picked. but 3 goals in 455 minutes. So a goal every 152 minutes. No one in the squad gets anywhere near that.
For reference, Griffiths has a goal every 226 minutes.

So yeah, I think there is an evidence based position to say we should be getting Rhodes in and trying to make the most of his talent.
Feel free to bat me down with evidence..

Maybe show why Cummings, who is a pretty bad striker outside of the Scottish Championship, should be in ahead of Rhodes.

For me we need to look after the National side.. and Rhodes is an asset we can't really sideline much longer given that what was our mainstay strike force is all but gone now.

2 minutes ago, andyD said:

Rhodes will almost certainly finish up at the all time top scorer in the english championship. So he can score, we know that for certain.

If - and its a big if - that becomes the case then it's not exactly a great accolade as it means he will have spent his entire career playing in the second tier.   

There will be scores of strikers who played in the Championship that were better than him and who only didn't score as many goals because they ended up playing at the higher level.

Reminds me of the Crash Davis character in Bull Durham played by Kevin Costner - who broke the minor league batting record but was embarrassed by it as he only played a handful of games in the majors.   He thought it was worthless.

Rhodes is a flat track bully as - to be fair - is Boyd.

2 minutes ago, aaid said:

If - and its a big if - that becomes the case then it's not exactly a great accolade as it means he will have spent his entire career playing in the second tier.   

There will be scores of strikers who played in the Championship that were better than him and who only didn't score as many goals because they ended up playing at the higher level.

Reminds me of the Crash Davis character in Bull Durham played by Kevin Costner - who broke the minor league batting record but was embarrassed by it as he only played a handful of games in the majors.   He thought it was worthless.

Boyd admitted as much, he said he could bully some Defenders in Scotland but not down in England. That’s another in a list of reasons he should not be in or around a Scotland squad.

8 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Boyd admitted as much, he said he could bully some Defenders in Scotland but not down in England. That’s another in a list of reasons he should not be in or around a Scotland squad.

I agree 100%

59 minutes ago, aaid said:

I think you're overstating the if. Rhodes is currently 28, and in 3rd place, 22 goals off the top.
Ross McCormack is top and he's off sunning himself in Australia already.
Everyone else in the top 10 is at least 3 years older than Rhodes, except Chris Martin, who's still older and is 16 goals behind.
It's almost nailed on tbh.

As for not being a Premier League striker.. that's as may be. But do we have anyone who is a premier league striker?

I'm not sure Griff would cut it there tbh, and McBurnie's too early to tell. Jason Cummings? Seriously?

Fact remains we only have 2 strikers who are natural goalscorers, Griffiths and Rhodes. McBurnie might become one.. we can hope. But when you only have 2 proper goal scorers, I don't think you can afford to neglect one of them, especially when Griff seems to have dodgy calves, being out (i think) 5 times with them in the last 3 years. We need to support our options, and our options are few right now.

2 minutes ago, andyD said:

I think you're overstating the if. Rhodes is currently 28, and in 3rd place, 22 goals off the top.
Ross McCormack is top and he's off sunning himself in Australia already.
Everyone else in the top 10 is at least 3 years older than Rhodes, except Chris Martin, who's still older and is 16 goals behind.
It's almost nailed on tbh.

As for not being a Premier League striker.. that's as may be. But do we have anyone who is a premier league striker?

I'm not sure Griff would cut it there tbh, and McBurnie's too early to tell. Jason Cummings? Seriously?

Fact remains we only have 2 strikers who are natural goalscorers, Griffiths and Rhodes. McBurnie might become one.. we can hope. But when you only have 2 proper goal scorers, I don't think you can afford to neglect one of them, especially when Griff seems to have dodgy calves, being out (i think) 5 times with them in the last 3 years. We need to support our options, and our options are few right now.

As I said - so what, its a meaningless accolade.

For the upcoming games I'd much rather we went with someone young and upcoming like McBurnie or even Cummings who *might* be good enough in the future rather than someone like Rhodes or Boyd who are yesterday's men.