Players we have given up on - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Players we have given up on

jamboman

12 hours ago, Scotsdeutsch said:

Burke is 20 years of age. Absolutely laughable that muppets would write him off already. He’s more than good enough for scotland. His attacking qualities are golden,he needs to work on his defensive tracking. By no means the finished article at 20 years of age.

You're last point is correct but he isn't currently good enough for the National team.  Time will tell whether he ever is.

Gauld really is coming up to a watershed. I respect that he went abroad - new language, culture, learn football in the European style etc. He now needs games. His education as a footballer is no longer a valid reason for floating around the fringes of a squad. Any analysis of what his coaches find lacking in him, or is he just unlucky with individual Managers ? I have a wee bit sympathy with Oliver Burke in terms of his moves not really working out for game time, but not sure what is holding Guald back ?

23 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Gauld really is coming up to a watershed. I respect that he went abroad - new language, culture, learn football in the European style etc. He now needs games. His education as a footballer is no longer a valid reason for floating around the fringes of a squad. Any analysis of what his coaches find lacking in him, or is he just unlucky with individual Managers ? I have a wee bit sympathy with Oliver Burke in terms of his moves not really working out for game time, but not sure what is holding Guald back ?

Yes, I have great sympathy with Gauld and Burke. Folk can criticise about making the wrong moves but both were adventurous and wanted to grow. Sporting Lisbon had a reputation for developing plus he clearly wanted to learn. If it doesn't work out then it just doesn't. He made a sensible choice at the time and I hope a young guy who tried that gets his career on track even if he never plays for the biggest clubs.

So..

Gauld.. Had broken into the Avez side, scored a good goal to win the game against Belenenses, then got injured. Since getting back fit he's struggled to get back into the starting line up, with the management perhaps reluctant to change much as they're just skirting above relegation at the moment. When a club is doing that the manager usually doesn't risk changing things much. Gauld's been 'around' tho.. while almost all have been of the bench, he's played in 15 of the 22 games since he got back fit. He's hardly 'washed up', and still looks a quality player. I think there's a bit of "we dont see him every week, he must be terrible now" going on.
I kind of expect him to leave Sporting at the end of the season, Jesus is still in place and he bought 2 central midfielders in the summer and another 2 in January. Carvalho's still there, despite West Ham's half-hearted attempts.. so it doesn't seem like there's room for Gauld in the Sporting squad. He'll need to move to play, but i wouldn't expect him to rush back to the uk.

Harper.. Seems to be the main man at Malagueno right now. Scored 11 goals so far, helping them to top their Spanish 3rd tier table. The latest was just a few days ago, where he got the opener in a 3-2 win over Velez. So it seems his move from Brighton is paying off at the moment. Parent club Malaga look certain to be relegated from La Liga this season, so it seems likely Harper would move up to that side to play in the 2nd tier next season. If he can establish himself at that leve, team that go down are usually in the mix for promotion, so he could be starting in La Liga in 2 years. Fingers crossed.

Burke.. Just started against Leicester in the Premier League and laid on West Brom's only goal. He's played in their last 6 games, so seems to be finally breaking into the side. He's had a lot of established premier league players in front of him , so no surprise he didn't walk into the side. Only just turned 20, so he's got time, just need to play regular football, which he certainly will at West Brom next season, albeit back in the Championship.

In terms of writing any of them off.. I think it's far too soon to even be thinking about that. Having recently seen them play a bit, I think its quite reasonable to suggest that all three would be leading lights at 11 of the 12 Scottish Premiership sides. So no, don't write them off. But don't be desperate for them to suddenly be in the squad either. Caps need to be earnt (unless you're Cummings), and these three are well about that task right now.

15 hours ago, andyD said:

So..

Gauld.. Had broken into the Avez side, scored a good goal to win the game against Belenenses, then got injured. Since getting back fit he's struggled to get back into the starting line up, with the management perhaps reluctant to change much as they're just skirting above relegation at the moment. When a club is doing that the manager usually doesn't risk changing things much. Gauld's been 'around' tho.. while almost all have been of the bench, he's played in 15 of the 22 games since he got back fit. He's hardly 'washed up', and still looks a quality player. I think there's a bit of "we dont see him every week, he must be terrible now" going on.
I kind of expect him to leave Sporting at the end of the season, Jesus is still in place and he bought 2 central midfielders in the summer and another 2 in January. Carvalho's still there, despite West Ham's half-hearted attempts.. so it doesn't seem like there's room for Gauld in the Sporting squad. He'll need to move to play, but i wouldn't expect him to rush back to the uk.

Harper.. Seems to be the main man at Malagueno right now. Scored 11 goals so far, helping them to top their Spanish 3rd tier table. The latest was just a few days ago, where he got the opener in a 3-2 win over Velez. So it seems his move from Brighton is paying off at the moment. Parent club Malaga look certain to be relegated from La Liga this season, so it seems likely Harper would move up to that side to play in the 2nd tier next season. If he can establish himself at that leve, team that go down are usually in the mix for promotion, so he could be starting in La Liga in 2 years. Fingers crossed.

Burke.. Just started against Leicester in the Premier League and laid on West Brom's only goal. He's played in their last 6 games, so seems to be finally breaking into the side. He's had a lot of established premier league players in front of him , so no surprise he didn't walk into the side. Only just turned 20, so he's got time, just need to play regular football, which he certainly will at West Brom next season, albeit back in the Championship.

In terms of writing any of them off.. I think it's far too soon to even be thinking about that. Having recently seen them play a bit, I think its quite reasonable to suggest that all three would be leading lights at 11 of the 12 Scottish Premiership sides. So no, don't write them off. But don't be desperate for them to suddenly be in the squad either. Caps need to be earnt (unless you're Cummings), and these three are well about that task right now.

Really good informative post! And enjoyed reading it (Minus the cheap shot at Cummings). 

On 15/03/2018 at 10:47 AM, andyD said:

Dropped to the bench against Bournemouth this weekend and didn't come on. He'll probably make more of an impact in the Championship next season, as you say, as West Brom sell players to cut costs. The fact that he's in the squad of a Premier League side regularly at his age (albeit not a very good one) can only be a positive thing.