Players we have given up on - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Players we have given up on

jamboman

19 minutes ago, jamboman said:

Jack Harper

Ryan Gauld

Oli Burke

Does anyone feel these guys can make it for the national team.

Stevie Mallen another

How come our players cant make it outside scotland?

I assume you mean outside Britain?

The guys you’ve mentioned (apart from Mallan) all went abroad when very young and didn’t seem to be able to adapt to foreign football. 

Mallan moved from St Mirren to Barnsley so I’m not really sure what you were expecting of him. He’s still quite young to be fair to the guy. 

The other three could still have decent careers as well. Time will tell obviously but I don’t see why they can’t be successful for us. 

Edited by Texas Pete

I never really though Jack Harper would make it, only reason he got the airtime was he was at a big name club and the churn they go through and the small % that make it is frightening. Gauld, Burke and Mallan all have something about them and young enough to still grow into the player we hope with a couple of seasons of first team football at a decent level at a decent club with good manager, coaching staff and training facilities they could all still make it but next season will be major for all - i wouldnt right any off just yet. Only thing with Burke he looks lazy and immature off the ball 

For me Gauld will still ‘make it’ and get multiple caps for us. He won’t be the player we hoped though. 

This season has been a disaster, maybe he hasn’t been at his best but the manager at Aves clearly doesn’t like him even though he’s making impressive cameo appearances.  He just doesn’t fit in...Aves seem to play direct, physical football, the manager obviously doesn’t think a neat, short passing, creative player is required. But I guess if he truly was going to be world class he’d manage to force his way in no matter how his manager wants to play.

His next move is going to be very important and hopefully a permanent one because not many clubs change a system to suit a player you’re only going to have for a season.  He needs to find a club that will start him and suit him. There are probably teams in Portugal that would give him this but maybe he needs a change. 

I think English championship clubs will be interested just because of his pedigree in Scotland. And surely a Christie-less Aberdeen will too. Hopefully he can kick on from there and go up a level.

Thoughts on the others...Burke will be very important us. He does seem lazy and lack footballing itelligence but he’s still only 20. He’s got time to improve his work ethic and learn the game at this level. Probably needs a season in the Championship, we’ll learn a bit more about his attitude there too.

Harper will likely not make it. He’s playing at a very weak level and not impressing enough to make the first team manager give him a spot on the bench for a Malaga team struggling to score. 

Not sure about Mallan. Barnsley fans seem to like him even though he’s not getting much game time. He’ll be up against players like McGregor, Cairney, Christie, (hopefully Gauld!) to get into the full squad. 

3 hours ago, bigfingers said:

John fleck 

Fleck's been playing well for Sheffield United, worth a call up.

I would say Mackay-steven tbh.

Came through with Gauld and Armstrong at Dundee United but never really happened for him.

Ryan Christie maybe another one.

Edited by Tartan Chris

7 minutes ago, robbo cop said:

Thought Burke was going to be in the team for good a while back but seems to have went backwards. The others don't appeal much to me as being good enough.

If he hadn't moved for £15million the chances are he still wouldn't have been capped by now. He's really not very good

He had never had a look in prior to the last qualifying campaign, he gets a £15million move and suddenly starts the next Scotland game 

7 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

If he hadn't moved for £15million the chances are he still wouldn't have been capped by now. He's really not very good

He had never had a look in prior to the last qualifying campaign, he gets a £15million move and suddenly starts the next Scotland game 

Aye, but were England no sniffing aboot him as well....

1 minute ago, DoonTheSlope said:

This. He really hasn't done much at club level to suggest that he should've played for the national team. Players like Ryan Fraser have shown much more than him at club level and haven't had as much of a look in.

2 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

He got his first call up prior to the last campaign, made his debut for us in the Czech or Denmark friendly.

He made his competitive debut for us when he was still a Forest player.

England were keen on him at that point but he was flying for Forest  and definitely deserved a place in the squad.

3 minutes ago, Rab The Crab said:

He got his first call up prior to the last campaign, made his debut for us in the Czech or Denmark friendly.

He made his competitive debut for us when he was still a Forest player.

England were keen on him at that point but he was flying for Forest  and definitely deserved a place in the squad.

👍🏻 I stand corrected 

I still don't think he is good enough if we are looking to improve 

Burke worked hard yesterday and was far from lazy. Good assist as well. I believe he will still go onto be a big player for us. Ryan gauld needs a move to somewhere like hibs and hearts where he can get a proper run of games. If he does this then he could still be a decent player and get his career back on track. Stevie Mallam is a good talent but what does anyone expect from him tbf, he was playing for st mirren and now is on Barnsleys bench, he is a long way from being good enough to be selected for the squad. Jack Harper needs to move to where he will get first team opportunities even if it was just league 1 in England.

1 hour ago, DoonTheSlope said:

👍🏻 I stand corrected 

I still don't think he is good enough if we are looking to improve 

Guys 20 and has a couple of EPL starts, Who was the last 20 year old we can say that about?

He's not the messiah we thought he might be but could be a key player in our "improved" future.

Burke is 20 years of age. Absolutely laughable that muppets would write him off already. He’s more than good enough for scotland. His attacking qualities are golden,he needs to work on his defensive tracking. By no means the finished article at 20 years of age.

9 hours ago, Scotsdeutsch said:

Burke is 20 years of age. Absolutely laughable that muppets would write him off already. He’s more than good enough for scotland. His attacking qualities are golden,he needs to work on his defensive tracking. By no means the finished article at 20 years of age.

Assuming he had a choice, Burke chose the wrong team to come home to. WBA are done, they're going down. He apparently played very well on Saturday too.

there's no way we should be writing any 20 year old off, we've stuck by James Forrest on the wing for long enough so there's no way Burke should be written off.