Squad and new players - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad and new players

Scout

Is Griffiths injured then?

Looks like McBurnie will get a start with those options.

Otherwise there are plenty of new faces, look at the keepers. Give McLaughlin and Archer a game each and see how they look.

Barry Douglas getting a call surprises me given Robbo and Tierney are also in the squad but he is an in form club player which is what people bang on about getting called up.

Same for Cairney and McDonald. A strong combination for their club, let's see if they can replicate that for their country.

When you think back to regulars of the last campaign....Gordon, Berra, Bannan, McArthur, Snoddy, Chris Martin, Darren Fletcher etc none of them are in their squad.

I assume some are injured and would have a few of those back when it starts again in September but pretty happy with how McLeish has freshened things up.

4 minutes ago, Davied14 said:

McGregor

Martin-Mulgrew-Teirney

Paterson-McTominay-McGinn-Robertson

Ritchie-McBurnie-Fraser

What is the point of giving McGregor a game?

He is 34 and point know what he can do (and can't). Archer is younger, needs a chance to stake a claim for September and last time I looked plays for a club higher in the table than Hull. Also keeps a lot more clean sheets.

He is in form, play him.

Quite happy.

Could be wrong but I thought Berra was injured which is why he isn't there.

Would have liked a couple of others but that might have been to many changes and the new players included deserve to be there

4 minutes ago, Davied14 said:

Archer is in form? Last I seen him he was throwing them in.

That was one bad day for him about 2 months ago wasn't it? Seems to be doing well the rest of the season (though someone I know who watches Millwall says its more down to their strong defense this season, rather than Archer)

Griffiths is injured surely.

Not involved yesterday, Armstrong returned for 4 minutes yesterday and is in the squad.

Yeah Snoddy has been playing well for us although he's struggled to make an impact for Scotland last 18 months. Maybe McLeish has given him a call saying he'll keep him in mind for September games but wants to look at younger players between now and then.

3 minutes ago, davew said:

No Berra or Lindsay?

Surprised to see no sign of Snodgrass or Griffiths. With the exceptions of Armstrong and Ritchie, it leaves us with a midfield and front-line that have never scored.

Griffiths and Berra injured. Don't know how well Snodgrass is doing at the moment.

4 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Yeah Snoddy has been playing well for us although he's struggled to make an impact for Scotland last 18 months. Maybe McLeish has given him a call saying he'll keep him in mind for September games but wants to look at younger players between now and then.

Imagine that is it.

We only lost 1 game last year, so Strachan probably wants to use this squad to give as much of Strachans squad a kind of "trial" over these two games (plus try out a couple of new options) and will probably see most the surprise players who have been dropped recalled in May/June, along with some youth players who have not been called up this time around given their chance).

By time we get to the Nations Cup in September, the squad will resemble very little from this first one.

Fkin pish!  WTF have Murphy and Martin done recently other than get a loan move to Ibrox?

Ritchie?  Phillips???  Neither of them give a flying fk and should be hunted.

No Berra or Lindsay or Souttar is utterly baffling.  As is the inclusion of McLean and exclusion of his far superior teammate.

Phillips and Ritchie are awful choices. 3 lbs too, hoping hell maybe give Douglas a chance and play Tierney or Robertson further up to see how they go.

not the most inspiring squad

1 minute ago, daviebee said:

Fkin pish!  WTF have Murphy and Martin done recently other than get a loan move to Ibrox?

Ritchie?  Phillips???  Neither of them give a flying fk and should be hunted.

No Berra or Lindsay or Souttar is utterly baffling.  As is the inclusion of McLean and exclusion of his far superior teammate.

Berra had a scan on his ankle after taking injections to play the last few games for Hearts so no great surprise he has been left out. Souttar was a doubt for Friday night so he may well be injured too.

Thought Lindsay would have made it though 

He said in his press conference that there's a few players that he knows what they can do so wants to try something with new faces. When Wee Chicken Baws was manager that's what fans were screaming out for. One of the journalists said there was 13 new caps in the squad, maybe a statto can confirm 

On the whole apart from a couple of questionable inclusions it's a pretty decent squad. I could say it's a wee bit light up front but I can't really comment as I've not seen enough of Ollie McBurnie

Grant Hanley over the likes of John Souttar, Paul Hanlon and Christophe Berra was a wee bit surprising but considering the way Souttar got ragdolled on Friday night it's maybe not surprising and Berra is probably one of the names that he knows what he offers

John McGlaughlin would be my number 1 from the keepers listed

Its last chance saloon for Matt Phillips, I thought he was decent against Lithuania but anonymous in the other games.

I don't know if he's played much but if he has and been decent I'd liked to have seen Liam Bridcutt getting another chance. He's got that bit of steel and goes in hard we that we could do with. I know some of the fans don't like him because he went through a Celtc player at Hampden. Hopefully Eck keeps an eye on him

Edited by DoonTheSlope
Berras absence explained by Hannibal above

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

Not the sweeping changes that I think a lot of people were expecting/hoping, but some good freshening up's here and there.

DYFUlm7X0AAuFeC.jpg:large

Very different to the squad that was first picked for Slovakia and Slovenia.

Gordon, Anya, Berra, Cooper, Whittaker, Bannan, Brown, D Fletcher, McArthur, Morrison, Snodgrass, S Fletcher, Griffiths and Martin all missing. 

Replaced by McLaughlin, Douglas, Martin, McKenna, Paterson, Cairney, McDonald, McGeouch, McGregor, McLean, McTominay, Murphy, Christie, Cummings and McBurnie. 

It does look a lot different to Strachans squads. 

Edited by PASTA Mick