Squad and new players - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad and new players

Scout

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

I wasn't sure which two to pick from McKenna, Mulgrew and Hanley. I'd give all 3 some game time.  Mulgrew could be useful on free kicks because Forrest and Fraser both win a lot on the edge of the area and I'm not sure anyone else in my team can hit a good free-kick. 

No one can hit a free kick, never really thought Mulgrew could either. Hope Snodgrass hasn't retired.

I'd be pretty pissed if I was Snodgrass, McArthur or Berra. All having good seasons. Notice that some are mentioning that Berra is carrying an injury so maybe its fair enough if he's been left out to rest.

Snodgrass leads the assist charts (12) in the Championship and has scored 7. He's also been a very important player to us in previous campaigns and at 30 he's not past it. Has McLeish left him out just to have a look at some new players? I'd say that Christie, Phillips (picked as a striker!?), Murphy and Ritchie (not a regular for Newcastle) are lucky to be picked over him. Some aren't even much younger than Snodgrass.

McArthur has been a regular and playing well for a Premier League team. I'm not sure how you could justify McLean, McDonald or McGeough over him. Again both aren't much younger and McLean looked out of his depth against Netherlands. 

Saying that, these players and Liam Lindsay not being called up are my only gripes. And it's probably good to have a look guys like Christie, McDonald and McGeough. Maybe Snodgrass, McArthur and Berra will come back in for the competitive games. 

Out of this Squad I'd like,

McLaughlin

Hanley      McKenna     Tierney

Forrest                                                                   Robertson

Armstrong McTominay  McGinn 

Cairney

McBurnie

For me the 'must starts' are Tierney, Robertson, McTominay and Cairney. 

Outside of Ritchie, Martin and Christie, a fair enough experimental squad. Generally players on good recent form / who have had a good season.

I generally do not like Matt Ritchie, just not my kind of wide player at all. Bannan for me does not carry the ball forward enough, his passing also is quite limited.

On Kenny McLean, he and McKenna have been the only shining lights in the dross recent weeks for Aberdeen. McLean is a lot more deserving of his call up now than in November, where he'd taken his usual 3 months to lose the half stone he puts on every summer resulting in a slow start to the season.

On John Souttar it looks like his rag dolling on Friday night has cost him a place.

Fair play to Big Eck, let's see who cuts it over the two games looking forward to the summer. These are the two games to experiment a bit round the fringes before looking to bring back into the squad the likes of Morrison, Berra, Gordon, Griffiths, McArthur and Snodgrass in the summer if possible.

12 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

I'd go with something like this -

Archer

Hanley...Mulgrew...Tierney 

Paterson...McTominay...Cairney...Robertson

Forrest...McBurnie...Fraser 

I'd be looking to get plenty of balls into McBurnie. Would maybe swap Forrest and Paterson around for another threat in the air. 

Armstrong and McGregor unlucky to miss out but I'd like to see McTominay and Cairney at this level. 

That's a decent side.

I'm not sure Archer has done enough to earn a cap yet.

McTominay and Cairney are the two best passers of a ball we have. Passing the ball is also one of Robertson's biggest strengths. The three of them together looks like a really good combination on paper. But Paterson is the exact opposite - passing the ball is his biggest weakness.

Forrest - 21 caps and no goals speaks for itself.

McBurnie has been playing on the left of a front three for Barnsley. I don't think Cummings has done anywhere near enough to be in the squad, but, once again, he's the only centre-forward.

McGregor

Fraser...McTominay...Cairney...Robertson

Ritchie...Cummings...McBurnie 

9 minutes ago, davew said:

That's a decent side.

I'm not sure Archer has done enough to earn a cap yet.

McTominay and Cairney are the two best passers of a ball we have. Passing the ball is also one of Robertson's biggest strengths. The three of them together looks like a really good combination on paper. But Paterson is the exact opposite - passing the ball is his biggest weakness.

Forrest - 21 caps and no goals speaks for itself.

McBurnie has been playing on the left of a front three for Barnsley. I don't think Cummings has done anywhere near enough to be in the squad, but, once again, he's the only centre-forward.

McGregor

Fraser...McTominay...Cairney...Robertson

Ritchie...Cummings...McBurnie 

I think 3-4-3 is too risky for us. We need the extra man in midfield. So 3-5-2 for me.

I'd rather we played a 352, but I think something like this is most likely.

McGregor
Paterson - McKenna - Tierney (c) - Robertson
Forest - McDonald - Armstrong - McTominay - Fraser
McBurnie

I don't think we called up the players to really do anything else.

I'm happy to see a lot of the new faces, but agree about the strange omissions including Snodgrass - who is having a great season probably at his level and McArthur. 

I am not overly excited by McLeish but so far so good. Let's see how we do in the games.

21 hours ago, andyD said:

I'd rather we played a 352, but I think something like this is most likely.

McGregor
Paterson - McKenna - Tierney (c) - Robertson
Forest - McDonald - Armstrong - McTominay - Fraser
McBurnie

I don't think we called up the players to really do anything else.

Swap Armstrong for Cairney and that looks about right 

11 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

I'm happy to see a lot of the new faces, but agree about the strange omissions including Snodgrass - who is having a great season probably at his level and McArthur. 

I am not overly excited by McLeish but so far so good. Let's see how we do in the games.

Snodgrass was phoned by McLeish explaining his omission. No doubt Macarthur was too.

Would be quite happy to see,

—————-McGregor————————

Paterson—Mulgrew—McKenna-KT

————McTominay—-McGinn———

Forrest————Armstrong—Fraser

—————Cummings/McBurnie——-

Have a sneaky feeling he might start Murphy after watching his interview though, he watched him against Hearts and he was terrific to be fair that day.

Edited by BraveheartGordon

2 minutes ago, BraveheartGordon said:

Would be quite happy to see,

—————-McGregor————————

Paterson—Mulgrew—McKenna-KT

————McTominay—-McGinn———

Forrest————Armstrong—Fraser

—————Cummings/McBurnie——-

Have a sneaky feeling he might start Murphy after watching his interview though, he watched him against Hearts and he was terrific to be fair that day.

No Robertson ?

On 14/03/2018 at 1:17 PM, fringo said:

No Robertson ?

I was thinking play Tierney in his natural position in the first match because I’d like to see McKenna next to an experienced Centre half, then play Robertson at full-back and Tierney at CB in the second game. I’d like to see McKenna but should be next to an experienced player and not KT IMO.

3 hours ago, BraveheartGordon said:

I was thinking play Tierney in his natural position in the first match because I’d like to see McKenna next to an experienced Centre half, then play Robertson at full-back and Tierney at CB in the second game. I’d like to see McKenna but should be next to an experienced player and not KT IMO.

:ok:

McLeish has intimated that KT will be his captain so you'd expect him to start every match. That suggests that he is the left CB of a back 3. Hanley could mentor McKenna or maybe leave it to Mulgrew at the risk of having all left-footed centre backs.

Only trouble with a back 3 is that in a 3-5-2 there is no room for wingers like Fraser or Murphy.

34 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

McLeish has intimated that KT will be his captain so you'd expect him to start every match. That suggests that he is the left CB of a back 3. Hanley could mentor McKenna or maybe leave it to Mulgrew at the risk of having all left-footed centre backs.

Only trouble with a back 3 is that in a 3-5-2 there is no room for wingers like Fraser or Murphy.

You could play one striker and another attacker such as Fraser or Murphy. They’d have the freedom to link with wing backs as required.

On 3/15/2018 at 2:02 PM, Third Lanark said:

I hope hanley says absolutely nothing to mckenna and stays well away from him, or we can expect mckenna to cost us as many goals as hanley

On 15/03/2018 at 6:02 PM, Third Lanark said:

KT no longer in the squad for Friday. Didn’t play for sellick today. Maybe he’s injured.

I hope Andy Robertson gets the armband.

34 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Out of curiosity why Robertson, a few have said this.

Plenty players with captaincy experience in the squad and probably starting eleven. Has Robertson any?

He sets a great example with the amount of effort he puts in - and so would be a god man to follow I think.