Squad and new players - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad and new players

Scout

31 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Given Rangers form since Christmas, its pretty hard not to over look some of their players (especially Murphy!) but far from convinced on Cummings inclusion, but again (bar a couple of blips) its hard not to take Rangers form since Murty started bringing players in during the January transfer window into account.

I would imagine Snodgrass is one of the players Eck had in mind when he said he knew what some players could do for him already (I imagine thats guys like Anya, Morrison, Fletcher (both), Martin, Snoddy etc) and this squad is more about making room to try out players like Cairney, McGeouch, McTorminay, Fraser etc (on form players who might not necessarily have found the room to break into the first team).

I fully expect his squad for May/June to resemble very little to this squad, with that squad more along the lines of more of the missing old guard, along with 5 or so new/fresh faces that have missed out this time around.

I’m not so sure, I think it’s quite feasible that we’ve seen the last of the Fletchers, Morrison and Anya.

5 minutes ago, Rab The Crab said:

I’m not so sure, I think it’s quite feasible that we’ve seen the last of the Fletchers, Morrison and Anya.

I think Steven is certainly going to find himself out the squad more times than he finds himself in it (but given how light we are up front, we might not have a choice, unless Eck is successful in getting Sam Gallagher).... Darren I think will be in squads for at least the foreseeable future come May/June, simply for his presence in the squad behind the scenes, rather than with a view to playing him (ie a more unofficial coaching role)... Morrison when fully fit is one of the first names on the team sheet, and still at a age where he can offer us something for one more campaign.

Anya I feel peaked with Scotland years ago, and just seemed to find his way into squads and the first team simply because he was one of Strachans favorites, rather than there on merit. Still has time on his side and is now back in the Derby first team, so will find his way there or there about, but just not as consistent as he had it under Strachan.

Edited by wanderer

------------------------ Archer

Paterson - McKenna  - Mulgrew  - Tierney

-------------------- McTominay 

------- Armstrong----------------McGinn

Fraser ----------------------------------Robertson

----------------------- McBurnie

That'll do me.

Edited by runningtings

1 minute ago, runningtings said:

------------------------ Archer

Paterson - McKenna  - Mulgrew  - Tierney

-------------------- McTominay 

------- Armstrong----------------McGinn

Fraser ---------- McGregor -----------Robertson

----------------------- McBurnie

That'll do me.

Agreed, if we can play 12 players every game I think we will be in with a decent shout.

I like the look of this squad. Largely made up of players who have been on the fringes or haven't had an opportunity to feature for us before. Allows a serious look at them before the Nations League and Euro qualifiers, while giving them a chance to fight for their place in the squad for the competitive matches can only be a good thing. McLeish will know what the regulars not included can do, so there's little point bringing them in for these matches.

With eight of the squad being 23 or younger, it's not only an opportunity to show what they can do now, it's a chance to for McLeish to see potential for future squads - what players could become important in a number of years time. Those players could be built around going forward.

I'm quite excited to see what this squad can do.

2 hours ago, wanderer said:

Given Rangers form since Christmas, its pretty hard not to over look some of their players (especially Murphy!) but far from convinced on Cummings inclusion, but again (bar a couple of blips) its hard not to take Rangers form since Murty started bringing players in during the January transfer window into account.

Who often has Cummings even played since Christmas? So Murphy  Plays a dozen games and looks good that's all that's needed  and don't start me on Russel martin ffs

16 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Who often has Cummings even played since Christmas? So Murphy  Plays a dozen games and looks good that's all that's needed  and don't start me on Russel martin ffs

11 appearences (mostly coming on from the bench) with 5 goals and 1 assist.

Edited by theweestevie

Archer

McKenna Mulgrew Tierney

Paterson McTominlay McGinn Robertson

Cairney McGregor

Cummings

Wouldnt be surprised if we line up something like this. McGinn and McTominlay sitting deep, wingbacks and two attacking midfielders pushing on, and all going backwards when we dont have the ball, leaving the striker a bit stranded.

I cant recall McLeish playing wingers that much, but it was a long time ago.

38 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Archer

McKenna Mulgrew Tierney

Cairney McGregor

Cummings

Wouldnt be surprised if we line up something like this. McGinn and McTominlay sitting deep, wingbacks and two attacking midfielders pushing on, and all going backwards when we dont have the ball, leaving the striker a bit stranded.

That looks a strong line up . Plenty going forward and defensive back up . Probably give Mcburnie  2nd half up front 

58 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Archer

McKenna Mulgrew Tierney

Cairney McGregor

Cummings

From what I recall Eck would go pretty heavy upfront (3 from Miller, O'Connor, McFadden and Boyd) with Hartley, Ferguson, Brown and Fletcher keeping things tidy in the middle of the park, with Gary Naismith and Allan Hutton providing support on the wings.

Edited by wanderer

2 hours ago, runningtings said:

Wonder if we have seen the last of Darren Fletcher...

I think we might have, Eck mentioned him in the press conference, that he wasn’t playing just now and the door wasn’t closed but there was no mention of having any great plans for him.

Theres a lot of midfielders in that squad, I don’t think we really need him any more.

With the emergence of McBurnie I’ll be really surprised if we see Chris Martin again also.

2 minutes ago, Rab The Crab said:

With the emergence of McBurnie I’ll be really surprised if we see Chris Martin again also.

From what I've seen of him at Reading, he hasn't really done much to make me think he should be involved in the squad. Of course, playing in a struggling side won't help, but he seems to be offering very little at the moment. McBurnie will probably be the long term option of that type of striker in our squad. I think you're right in saying we're probably not going to see Martin again.

I'd go with something like this -

Archer

Hanley...Mulgrew...Tierney 

Paterson...McTominay...Cairney...Robertson

Forrest...McBurnie...Fraser 

I'd be looking to get plenty of balls into McBurnie. Would maybe swap Forrest and Paterson around for another threat in the air. 

Armstrong and McGregor unlucky to miss out but I'd like to see McTominay and Cairney at this level. 

Edited by PASTA Mick

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

Archer

McKenna Mulgrew Tierney

Cairney McGregor

Cummings

That’s a very good team if eck can get them to buy into 3-5-2

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

Archer

McKenna Mulgrew Tierney

Cairney McGregor

Cummings

You're jist taking the pish noo.:lol:

10 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I'd go with something like this -

Archer

Hanley...Mulgrew...Tierney 

Paterson...McTominay...Cairney...Robertson

Forrest...McBurnie...Fraser 

I'd be looking to get plenty of balls into McBurnie. Would maybe swap Forrest and Paterson around for another threat in the air. 

Armstrong and McGregor unlucky to miss out but I'd like to see McTominay and Cairney at this level. 

That's a good team, would maybe swap Hanley for McKenna but it's decent enough.

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

That's a good team, would maybe swap Hanley for McKenna but it's decent enough.

I wasn't sure which two to pick from McKenna, Mulgrew and Hanley. I'd give all 3 some game time.  Mulgrew could be useful on free kicks because Forrest and Fraser both win a lot on the edge of the area and I'm not sure anyone else in my team can hit a good free-kick. 

2 hours ago, kumnio said:

Archer

McKenna Mulgrew Tierney

Cairney McGregor

Cummings

I doubt if he’d go with three left footed centre halves.