Deid hamster ... or in torpor - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Deid hamster ... or in torpor

So we got our son a hamster for Christmas. I didn't particularly want an animal in the house, but have grown pretty attached to her. Woke up this morning and she was lying lifeless in the cage. I thought it was dead, but was reading about torpor and how it might be in this state because it was cold - basically looks dead but shuts down to conserve itself. On texting my son he told me its whiskers were twitching last night. 

My question is - nobody at home right now, can it survive in this state for long? I'll try to heat it up when I get home from work around 6pm.

It needs to see it has food stores From a study.

In conclusion, our results demonstrate that food store availability affects torpor expression and also highlight variation in torpor patterns and energy-saving strategies in common hamsters.

6 minutes ago, Stapes said:

We always make sure it's stocked up with food, although we suspect it saves lots in its little house.

Swithering whether to ask for a half day. What a saddo lol.

I'm out of knowledge then mate, nah it reflects well on you that you're considering it. Yeah they stockpile, the only other thing is temperature, maybe it's the crazy weather sending it's circadian rhythm away to fuck

That's what I thought re the weather. Although we have a pretty warm house. My son telling me it was twitching and making noises when it was in that state gives me some hope! Away home to place him on a hot water bottle.

4 minutes ago, phart said:

I'm out of knowledge then mate, nah it reflects well on you that you're considering it. Yeah they stockpile, the only other thing is temperature, maybe it's the crazy weather sending it's circadian rhythm away to fuck

Aye - if the temperature drops to below 5°C(ish) most go into torpor to try and preserve body heat; although they can go into that state from anything below 15°C depending on the hamster from what I understand. If it's been moving, even subtly, that's a good sign.

13 minutes ago, Stapes said:

Lying it on a hit water bottle now. Completely motionless. Not looking good. I think if my son had woken me last night we could have done something. But he wasn't to know. :-(

Poor Hamster. :(

21 minutes ago, Stapes said:

Lying it on a hit water bottle now. Completely motionless. Not looking good. I think if my son had woken me last night we could have done something. But he wasn't to know. :-(

:(

1 hour ago, Stapes said:

Maybe you can turn your half day into compassionate leave? Get another couple of days off?

1 hour ago, McTeeko said:

Shame for your wee hamster but if your son is old enough to have his own phone then I’d just get him a proper pet like a dug 👍🏼  

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

Apparently hamsters are very fragile.

On the plus side The Grand Tour will be a lot better without the extremely irritating Hammond on it.

1 hour ago, Brummie Hibs said:

A deid hamster is easier to shuv up yer erse (allegedly) 

I wish the TAMB died. 

1 minute ago, Stapes said:

If in my grief I'd committed suicide yeez widnae be laughing... Or mibbees yeez would :-(

See all these jokey and snide comments? i think they're just using you as a Guinea Pig.