Somewhere to watch game in Budapest - Hungary v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Somewhere to watch game in Budapest

Sherriffatman

There’s a couple of Irish bars that will have the football on, I don’t think any of the ruin bars will. There is a Scottish pub called Caledonia, but it’s not the biggest, maybe 50-60 people at a guess. 

• 3 weeks later...

Most bars will be showing the game. A few worth thinking about in terms of atmosphere/English speaking staff, good pub food etc. Becketts Irish Bar, Liszt Ferenc Tér 11, 1061.Capacity 200 +. 7 TVs (closes 1am). BBz Bar & Grill, Kiraly Utca 15, 1075. Capacity 280. 7 TVs. (Closes 3am). Kisrablo Pub, Zenta u. 3, 1111.Capacity 120 6 TVs (closes at 11pm). Jack Doyles Bar, Pilvax köz 1-3, 1052. Capacity 100. 5 TVs. (Closes 1am). The Caledonia, Mozsar Utca 9, 1066. Capacity 140. 7 TVs (closes 10pm).

On 05/03/2018 at 2:32 PM, kumnio said:

There’s a couple of Irish bars that will have the football on, I don’t think any of the ruin bars will. There is a Scottish pub called Caledonia, but it’s not the biggest, maybe 50-60 people at a guess

Capacity for Scottish sized folk

2 hours ago, Patrick62 said:

Most bars will be showing the game. A few worth thinking about in terms of atmosphere/English speaking staff, good pub food etc. Becketts Irish Bar, Liszt Ferenc Tér 11, 1061.Capacity 200 +. 7 TVs (closes 1am). BBz Bar & Grill, Kiraly Utca 15, 1075. Capacity 280. 7 TVs. (Closes 3am). Kisrablo Pub, Zenta u. 3, 1111.Capacity 120 6 TVs (closes at 11pm). Jack Doyles Bar, Pilvax köz 1-3, 1052. Capacity 100. 5 TVs. (Closes 1am). The Caledonia, Mozsar Utca 9, 1066. Capacity 140. .

Capacity for everyone else 

Edited by TDYER63
Fat bassas

22 hours ago, The Black Bra said:

Thought I saw mention of a pub called the Prince William or King William or something, run by an Armenian. Sure I saw it mentioned on one of the threads here but can’t find it now. Any ideas?

It was the Sir William. Certainly not much Scottish authenticity about it although reading through the menu was a laugh with stuff like "Rangers steak" on it.

Edit..had a google there and it appears to be thriving!

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g274887-d3175290-Reviews-Sir_William_pub_skot_Etterem-Budapest_Central_Hungary.html

Edited by Toepoke

On 3/21/2018 at 1:43 PM, Toepoke said:

Is the Champs sports pub still open?  Used to be a great place to watch the fitba back in the day. Mind watching Celtic win at Anfield in there, quite an atmosphere!

It's still there and has several screens.

On 3/22/2018 at 1:39 PM, Toepoke said:

It was the Sir William. Certainly not much Scottish authenticity about it although reading through the menu was a laugh with stuff like "Rangers steak" on it.

Edit..had a google there and it appears to be thriving!

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g274887-d3175290-Reviews-Sir_William_pub_skot_Etterem-Budapest_Central_Hungary.html

It's a very small place. Not even sure it has a TV. But it does have a decent terrace outside.

14 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Sadly, some bars add what they might term "tourist tax".   I have personal experience.

I have never heard of this before. Maybe 10 -15 years ago. Tipping is always appreciated at 10-15%, but best to check on your receipt or just ask that it hasn't already been added. Most likely at a restaurant it will be included. But service in Budapest has improved considerably over the past 15 years.

14 hours ago, Scotschic said:

Friends of mine live there and advise to avoid Irish bars unless you want ripped off for beer. 

I can say that Jack O’Doyles certainly isn’t a rip off in the past two years I’ve been there. For a city centre pub it’s very reasonable

Thats not to say the won’t take advantage of the “thick as shit with bottomless wallet” Scotland fans for a couple of days but even if they did then it wouldn’t be the first boozer to do so

14 hours ago, Scotschic said:

Friends of mine live there and advise to avoid Irish bars unless you want ripped off for beer. 

I think this is a little harsh. There are only two genuine Irish Bars here in Budapest. Becketts (been here 25 years) and Jack Doyles (here 8 years). Both offer a good selection of beers, spirits, wine and good pub food. With English speaking staff and good service. Yes, you might pay an extra 150 HUF/43p on the price of a Hungarian lager. But their food offers and other offers stand up well, even against the so called 'ruin bars'.

20 hours ago, Patrick62 said:

I think this is a little harsh. There are only two genuine Irish Bars here in Budapest. Becketts (been here 25 years) and Jack Doyles (here 8 years). Both offer a good selection of beers, spirits, wine and good pub food. With English speaking staff and good service. Yes, you might pay an extra 150 HUF/43p on the price of a Hungarian lager. But their food offers and other offers stand up well, even against the so called 'ruin bars'.

Good info Patrick. What's Becketts like since it moved location? It was a hub for ex-pats when we were there. Pretty busy most nights, especially when sport was on the box.

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Good info Patrick. What's Becketts like since it moved location? It was a hub for ex-pats when we were there. Pretty busy most nights, especially when sport was on the box.

I went in once two years ago when I was travelling. There’s was fridge you took your drink from I you were wanting a bottle then went to pay at the bar. As I approached the bar she tried to charge me for a whole table who were getting up to leave

I said I’m not with them and she said yes you are and you have to pay for your drinks and that I’d been been there all night etc. I then proceeded to tell her ram the bottle up her chuff and told her to go away, not quite as politely as that you must understand

It was just down from Oktagon on Andreas Utca heading towards the Ferris wheel when I was there 

Edited by DoonTheSlope

3 hours ago, Mitre said:

Is Captain Cooks still there?

That was my local when I lived there. Across from Becketts old location on Bacsjy Zyllinksky (sp)

Great wee boozer

:ok: I believe so.  That bit of town's been tarted up beyond recognition in recent years, nice to see some of the old establishments are hanging in there.

7 hours ago, Toepoke said:

:ok: I believe so.  That bit of town's been tarted up beyond recognition in recent years, nice to see some of the old establishments are hanging in there.

16 years since I was there. Loved the place.

On 3/24/2018 at 12:53 PM, DoonTheSlope said:

I went in once two years ago when I was travelling. There’s was fridge you took your drink from I you were wanting a bottle then went to pay at the bar. As I approached the bar she tried to charge me for a whole table who were getting up to leave

I said I’m not with them and she said yes you are and you have to pay for your drinks and that I’d been been there all night etc. I then proceeded to tell her ram the bottle up her chuff and told her to go away, not quite as politely as that you must understand

It was just down from Oktagon on Andreas Utca heading towards the Ferris wheel when I was there 

Certainly this is not Becketts. You get served there. It's a good bar and the Scottish fans that went seemed to enjoy it.