Best car for snow - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Best car for snow

On 02/03/2018 at 5:21 PM, jenblueeyes said:

Have to say my old Ford Focus drove better in the snow than my current 2 wheel drive Qashqai though it's much better now I use winter tyres.

I've had no issues in the Quashqai at all, pretty decent compared to some.cars I've drove in snow

On 3/2/2018 at 5:29 PM, Huddersfield said:

I had a couple of Suzuki GVs - where I live is very hilly & prone to heavy snow now & again. The first one, a diesel estate with manual 4wd was nigh on invincible. I got it over all sorts of snowed up roads & never had trouble getting off my frequently blocked street (a cul-de-sac on a steep gradient & dog-leg bend halfway up).

The second was petrol with electronic 4wd; it wasn't bad & generally dealt with snow OK but nothing like the first one. I preferred being able to choose when to put it into 4wd rather than waiting until my wheels were spinning & getting a load of flashing lights.

I had a Diahatsu Sportrack with the manual 4WD and that was brilliant in the snow, wife current Mini Countryman with full time 4WD isn't so great but that's on normal road tyres (well ridiculously expensive run flats).

Never struggled with driving in the snow. I've previously driven a toyota starlet, a VW Golf, a Kia Ceed & a Ford Focus and i currently drive an Audi A3. 

Driven every one of them in the snow just fine. Mainly because i'm a proficient driver and not a moron. If you're not a proficient driver or are a moron, please stay in your house when it snows. As all you're doing is causing everyone else hassle. :ok: 

On 3/5/2018 at 1:46 PM, Kirk said:

I've had no issues in the Quashqai at all, pretty decent compared to some.cars I've drove in snow

My mate loved hers so much she had two of them but I just don't like it. I've had it five years. I find if I have to break quickly there's a real clunk like it's metal on metal and I don't feel confident in its ability to stop though it always has done to date. Not helped by the fact the motor of the windscreen wipers failed when I was on the motorway and i had to get myself to a safe place in pouring rain using purely the rear lights of the car in front to guide my direction. Initially I was told it would take four weeks for the part to arrive from Nissan and would cost £250 plus labour to sort.  Thanks to friends on Facebook, I got the part via ebay for half the price and within four days. The guy who came to tow me to a garage said Quashqai's were known for problems with their windscreen wipers. It may just be that I've been unlucky and got a dud version but I definitely won't get one again.

21 hours ago, jenblueeyes said:

My mate loved hers so much she had two of them but I just don't like it. I've had it five years. I find if I have to break quickly there's a real clunk like it's metal on metal and I don't feel confident in its ability to stop though it always has done to date. Not helped by the fact the motor of the windscreen wipers failed when I was on the motorway and i had to get myself to a safe place in pouring rain using purely the rear lights of the car in front to guide my direction. Initially I was told it would take four weeks for the part to arrive from Nissan and would cost £250 plus labour to sort.  Thanks to friends on Facebook, I got the part via ebay for half the price and within four days. The guy who came to tow me to a garage said Quashqai's were known for problems with their windscreen wipers. It may just be that I've been unlucky and got a dud version but I definitely won't get one again.

I think I know what you mean with the sound haha. Oh we have had a couple of issues with the car away from snow, battery completely died and had to be replaced but that was covered with warranty thankfully. Keys have gone a bit funny with the remote free opening but seem to be working so that was possibly to do with dodgy battery etc too

On 05/03/2018 at 3:50 PM, Parklife said:

Never struggled with driving in the snow. I've previously driven a toyota starlet, a VW Golf, a Kia Ceed & a Ford Focus and i currently drive an Audi A3. 

Driven every one of them in the snow just fine. Mainly because i'm a proficient driver and not a moron. If you're not a proficient driver or are a moron, please stay in your house when it snows. As all you're doing is causing everyone else hassle. :ok: 

On 03/03/2018 at 6:25 PM, Eisegerwind said:

Yeah, it's always the other idiots. I can do this,

Can you do that?

Edited by Eisegerwind

12 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Probably not. I only claimed to be "proficient" to be fair :lol: 

Which was one of my points,one man's proficiency is another man's incompetent moron.

The other point being that 'best car for snow' isn't really relevant in this country. We don't drive on snow., Squirming about at 20 mph on a  gritted road with a couple of inches of slush or rocking it to and fro to get out of a snowy drive or parking space isn't really driving in snow.

2 hours ago, Eisegerwind said:

Which was one of my points,one man's proficiency is another man's incompetent moron.

That's stupid though. We were assessing driving on snowy public roads (situation A). I can do that totally proficiently. 

You've then introduced a new, completely different criteria (situation X), that very few people will have ever experienced, in an attempt to assess me driving in situation A. 

Driving ability in situation X is completely irrelevant when it comes to Situation A. 

So, in summary, you "point" is nonsensical. 

54 minutes ago, Parklife said:

That's stupid though. We were assessing driving on snowy public roads (situation A). I can do that totally proficiently. 

You've then introduced a new, completely different criteria (situation X), that very few people will have ever experienced, in an attempt to assess me driving in situation A. 

Driving ability in situation X is completely irrelevant when it comes to Situation A. 

So, in summary, you "point" is nonsensical. 

I've not and it isn't.

On 09/03/2018 at 3:34 PM, Orraloon said:

The word "proficient" covers a wide range of abilities, from competent to expert.  

You are just arguing about definitions.

Nope. We were discussing driving on public roads in the snow. Eiser then introduced rally driving in the snow in an attempt to assess my driving on public roads. Two completely different things, one of which was never being discussed.