RED ALERT....RED ALERT....RED ALERT.... - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

RED ALERT....RED ALERT....RED ALERT....

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Took me an 1 hr 20 mins to get to work, normally 45 mins, so not really a big deal. 

Trains were all mainly cancelled so husband drove me to Glasgow which was on his way. The most frustrating part of the whole journey was the radio. Radio Scotland constantly having callers on , telling us about their journey. Kirsty Wark calling in  telling us  about her train journey. Who the fook cares? Turned it over to Radio 2 to get Chris Evans talking about theit coverage of the Royal Wedding 😩 

Never been so glad to get to work. Only for everyone talking about how they are getting home ....

Got on the train at Milliken this morning and as we pulled into Paisley I got a call to say the office was closed, so right across to platform 4 for a train back.

Got into work at 08:35 only to find they'd announced at 08:30 that the uni was shut, hung about for a hour or so in case any students showed then headed on the train (though they were down to two an hour) got home fired up laptop to find uni is shut tomorrow again which is nice. However it all seems a bit of an overreaction it's not f*cking snowmaggeden.

I traveled for 20 minutes then thought I’m no risking my life for no cunt so about turned and headed home. Done a few emails, taken a couple of calls, booked a holiday and surfed the internet while catching up on some tv. Hopefully just hit the pub tomorrow.

Stay safe, you can’t be too careful folks.

1 minute ago, macy37 said:

I traveled for 20 minutes then thought I’m no risking my life for no cunt so about turned and headed home. Done a few emails, taken a couple of calls, booked a holiday and surfed the internet while catching up on some tv. Hopefully just hit the pub tomorrow.

Stay safe, you can’t be too careful folks.

The roads are quite bad around us mainly because the snowploughs don't seem to have been out.

2 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Nobody should have travelled unless absolutely necessary this morning. FM Nicola Sturgeon and Police Scotland said so

Risking life and limb to make it to work isn't necessary. If you had a fatal accident en route then your employer would replace you within a week

There can be no repurcusions such as non-payment for today as you have simply followed local police and government advice 

Do your employers have to pay you  ? 

Forbye anything else, if people going to work can't get through the traffic then how do they expect the emergency services to be able to get to incidents in quick time

In my opinion it's selfish and maybe they'd think twice if themselves or a loved one were put in the sort of predicament which endangered there lives trying to receive emergency treatment 

31 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Got on the train at Milliken this morning and as we pulled into Paisley I got a call to say the office was closed, so right across to platform 4 for a train back.

That was lucky. No such u turn on the M8 unfortunately 🙁 

2 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Forbye anything else, if people going to work can't get through the traffic then how do they expect the emergency services to be able to get to incidents in quick time

in your scenario all the emergency services drivers would be sat at home not getting paid because they were advised not to travel to work

Just now, Big Col said:

in your scenario all the emergency services drivers would be sat at home not getting paid because they were advised not to travel to work

You're just being a smart arse now eh

Unless necessary was the advice. I think the emergency services are a wee bit different to you or I and most other folk on here going to sit in an office or working on a building site or whatever it is people do

3 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

I'd imagine so, if you follow any procedures that they have in place. Mines does

I am not so sure about that, mines does too, but I dont think it is a legal requirement. I think it is only legal that you should be paid if your employers choose to close the workplace. I am not certain right enough.

Anyhoo, I am still sitting waiting on a taxi that will probably never come. Looks like its a party at the Central Hotel .

1 minute ago, DoonTheSlope said:

You're just being a smart arse now eh

Unless necessary was the advice. I think the emergency services are a wee bit different to you or I and most other folk on here going to sit in an office or working on a building site or whatever it is people do

Getting paid is necessary for a lot of people.

1 minute ago, Larky Masher said:

If your employer call a shutdown they'd probably have to pay you if you don't go work because of the weather I doubt they would.

If you don't make it in at my work you get paid and it doesn't get recorded as absence as long as you follow all absence procedure. Obviously it's got to be an official severe weather warning in place whether it's at the workplace or your local area and travel routes

In 2010 they tried to shaft people but the union tore them to shreds

Maybe it's different elsewhere though and it's a contractual thing though

3 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

If you don't make it in at my work you get paid and it doesn't get recorded as absence as long as you follow all absence procedure. Obviously it's got to be an official severe weather warning in place whether it's at the workplace or your local area and travel routes

In 2010 they tried to shaft people but the union tore them to shreds

Maybe it's different elsewhere though and it's a contractual thing though

All employers aren't like your's unfortunately.

11 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Anyhoo, I am still sitting waiting on a taxi that will probably never come. Looks like its a party at the Central Hotel .

That would be my worst nightmare. In 2010 I was offered a room at a hotel at the Gyle. I walked 3 and a half hours from The Gyle to Omni when I eventually found a taxi 

Next day it was hangover central in the work and next to fuck all was done, nothing was said though as the managers were on the loopy juice all night aswell. Yet, I look a bit tired or get seen taking a nurofen on a Monday after a derby or big Scotland weekend and they accuse me of having a hangover 

Showeracuntz

1 hour ago, Larky Masher said:

Got into work at 08:35 only to find they'd announced at 08:30 that the uni was shut, hung about for a hour or so in case any students showed then headed on the train (though they were down to two an hour) got home fired up laptop to find uni is shut tomorrow again which is nice. However it all seems a bit of an overreaction it's not f*cking snowmaggeden.

You a Lecturer or a Jannie ?