Council Tax - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Got divorced a few years ago, children were all at uni etc so I contacted the council and got myself a 25% discount on council tax as I was home alone. I've now got a bidey-in, she has her own flat, in the same council tax area, and pays council tax on this at full rate.

Should I tell my council of my change in circumstances ? and if so will I go back up to paying the full whack ? 

I think if you each have your own place and are paying council tax individually, you don't need to do anything.  If she changed her registered address to yours you would have to pay full tax on your property but there would be a discount on the empty property (might be exempt for a limited time,) unless it was rented out in which case the tenant would be paying the CT.

I’d say you’re ok with your discount.

If she’s paying council tax at her own place, it’s fine. She lives there, but stays at yours most nights.

:ok:

Don’t know if the council are as bad as HMRC, but they charged me tax on 2 company cars, because I stupidly told them the new one had been delivered, but the old one wasn’t getting picked up for a few days. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone staying longer than 2 weeks, and you should be losing the discount

I don't think it matters she is paying her own council tax

this is based on aberdeenshire

But I think every council have their own rules & discretion

Edited by euan2020