First job for mcleish.... - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

First job for mcleish....

Malcolm

18 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well forgive me but I remember so many other false comings such as Robbie Foy, Jack Harper, Ryan Gauld, Islam Feruz and a whole stack more of players tipped for greatness who have bombed.

I hear you but the main difference is the players you mention never really got a proper run in a big team.  Mctominay, on the other hand, has. 

8 minutes ago, Scotsdeutsch said:

Excuse me? How does McGinn feel? Grow a pair son-this is serious sport feelings don’t come into it-you pick the best team and the best players available playing at the highest level possible. The last time I checked John McGinn doesn’t play for a famous top 4 premier league team and hasn’t played well in the champions league either. He plays in a rubbish league for a rubbish team.

Grow a pair son? Wise up. Like I said if he turns out to be a better player then no argument. Personally I think you should wait for a another season or so before you make a mess of your trousers, son. 

11 minutes ago, Scotsdeutsch said:

Excuse me? How does McGinn feel? Grow a pair son-this is serious sport feelings don’t come into it-you pick the best team and the best players available playing at the highest level possible. The last time I checked John McGinn doesn’t play for a famous top 4 premier league team and hasn’t played well in the champions league either. He plays in a rubbish league for a rubbish team.

Once again, why is it one or the other? The 2 together look ideal to me for central mid.

Mctominay looks decent but it's hard to tell wether he will make it at united long term. He's not really a match winner and man utd can just go out and buy a midfielder in summer for 70m or thereabouts so it's a hard place to make it as a young player now. He has played reasonably well so far and it's good he's picked us. He could be a good long term replacement for brown.

Have to love the comments on here, 

2 days ago it was all how he was going to turn us down and play for england and all doom and gloom

today - still doom and gloom, not played enough games, will be out the united team when they buy a 70m player. Not had a decent run

How about we just be glad we got a young player to play for us and there might, just might be a chance he turns out to be decent?

2 minutes ago, jamboman said:

2 days ago it was all how he was going to turn us down and play for england and all doom and gloom

today - still doom and gloom, not played enough games, will be out the united team when they buy a 70m player. Not had a decent run

How about we just be glad we got a young player to play for us and there might, just might be a chance he turns out to be decent?

It’s not hard to see why we never qualify for anything. We’re the most negative nation on Earth.

3 minutes ago, jamboman said:

Here Here

2 minutes ago, jamboman said:

Or how about going for the medium.

Be pleased he has agreed to play for us but cautious enough to realize he is still unproven and playing for a big club does not equate to us having a superstar on our hands.

1 hour ago, JECK said:

Not getting to carried away. Has played a handful of games in his career so far.  For all we know he could be playing for a stoke or West brom in a couple of seasons and be nothing special

Maybe but at least he'd still be playing at a good level. Generally the more players in the squad playing at the highest level of English football the better I'd say.

53 minutes ago, todd said:

I hear you but the main difference is the players you mention never really got a proper run in a big team.  Mctominay, on the other hand, has. 

Yep that's the difference. Remind me again when Robbie Foy started for Liverpool in a knock out CL game?

Mourinho has already trusted him to start some big games in recent weeks.

8 minutes ago, jamboman said:

He is clearly lacking in self belief if he thinks he's not good enough to play for England. ;)

Just now, Tartan Chris said:

Yep that's the difference. Remind me again when Robbie Foy started for Liverpool in a knock out CL game?

Mourinho has already trusted him to start some big games in recent weeks.

By all accounts that has something to do with the fact Mourinho has had a fall-out with Paul Pogba. Jose is not one for backing down so would sooner play McTominay than seen to be backing down. And so he's played in the Champions League whoopee doo. So have a plethora of other Scots in the last few years but it does not mean they will become superstars for us.

McTominey-Armstrong

Cairney

Would like to see this tried in the two friendlies coming up.

Armstrong looked the part when Strachan finally gave him a go in the qualifiers, NcTominey will obviously start and Tom Cairney will be a premier league player with or without Fulham next season, he runs the show for them in midfield.

Great choice Scott, hope you do well.

Don't buy the argument he's used as a pawn in a Mourhino spat with Pogba. Man U have a big enough squad not to pitch in a rookie unless they rate him. Even if I'm wrong and he was used to bite back at Pogba, United have had a good run of results with him in the team.

Anyway, he's a young player with some potential and he wants to play for us. Let's hope he fulfills it.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

By all accounts that has something to do with the fact Mourinho has had a fall-out with Paul Pogba. Jose is not one for backing down so would sooner play McTominay than seen to be backing down. And so he's played in the Champions League whoopee doo. So have a plethora of other Scots in the last few years but it does not mean they will become superstars for us.

Mourinho likes him regardless of his beef with Pogba. In any case he started v Chelsea with Pogba back in the team.

3 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

McTominey-Armstrong

Cairney

Would like to see this tried in the two friendlies coming up.

Armstrong looked the part when Strachan finally gave him a go in the qualifiers, NcTominey will obviously start and Tom Cairney will be a premier league player with or without Fulham next season, he runs the show for them in midfield.

Any chance you could try to learn how to spell his name before he gets his first cap?

1 minute ago, Tartan Chris said:

Mourinho likes him regardless of his beef with Pogba. In any case he started v Chelsea with Pogba back in the team.

But you do realize how much stick United are getting in recent weeks. They are getting panned from all quarters for how poor they've been in an attacking form. And that has been with McTominay in the side as well.