First job for mcleish.... - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

First job for mcleish....

Malcolm

On 03/03/2018 at 11:27 AM, Toepoke said:

A carry on like this makes me think the old eligibility rules of country of birth only weren't that bad after all.

Nope. I was born in Bath to Scottish parents as my Dad was working down South when I was born. Wee brother was born in Edinburgh three years later. Both Scottish.

Place of birth is far too arbitrary. 

J

PS I would never dream of playing for England.

8 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

Nope. I was born in Bath to Scottish parents as my Dad was working down South when I was born. Wee brother was born in Edinburgh three years later. Both Scottish.

J

I hope your wee brother takes the piss out of you for being "English":lol:

6 minutes ago, kumnio said:

BBC reporting it as well now. What kind of midfielder is he?

Box to box in the Fletcher mould although his early appearences for Man. United have been in games where he's been required to sit deeper. (away to Sevilla and home to Chelsea).

Him and Armstrong should be the middle two and then you select three attacking players ahead of them.

There is a decent crop of young players either established now or coming through so I'm optimistic for the next campaign IF they are used correctly and the old guard isn't relied upon e.g. first half of the world cup campaign.

34 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

J

Ok English boy

40 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

J

Similar to me. I was born in Doncaster, moved back to Scotland when I was one month old and lived in Scotland ever since.  In what universe does that make me English?  Still it's given my older brother 40 odd years of calling me an English tosser so not all bad!

Not getting to carried away. Has played a handful of games in his career so far.  For all we know he could be playing for a stoke or West brom in a couple of seasons and be nothing special

Edited by JECK

1 minute ago, JECK said:

Not getting to carried away. Has played a handful of games in his career so far.  For all we know he could be playing for a stoke or West brom in a couple of seasons and be nothing special

That's the spirit 👍

1 minute ago, JECK said:

Sensible post. Lets just woah back on the excitement here. Lets judge him on performances and consistency rather than on what club he plays for.

13 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Sensible post. Lets just woah back on the excitement here. Lets judge him on performances and consistency rather than on what club he plays for.

You can woah back all you like. Me, I'm gonna get carried away and believe he's the next Dalglish. 😆

This news is a bit of a result I suppose! I Wasn’t expecting it after he turned down an earlier call up and had Southgate coming to see him.

McTominay, 21, met Scotland boss Alex McLeish at United's Carrington training ground on Thursday.

England boss Gareth Southgate was due to visit United on Friday but it is understood McTominay did not meet him.

Does this indicate McLeish done such a good job of convincing him that he didn’t even hear Southgate out!? Seems hard to believe he didn’t even meet Southgate if he was there and wanting to see him. 

Lets hope he serves us well for many a year to come...

Can’t ask for more than that really. Opted to play for us and rejects option to speak to England. Welcome onboard Scott. However I don’t think he should be walking into our team just yet. I wonder how must McGinn feel? He’s been seemingly getting primed to step into browns shoes but looks like this lad will just shove him out the way. Fair enough if he’s a better player but he’s not proven that yet.

14 minutes ago, todd said:

You can woah back all you like. Me, I'm gonna get carried away and believe he's the next Dalglish. 😆

Well forgive me but I remember so many other false comings such as Robbie Foy, Jack Harper, Ryan Gauld, Islam Feruz and a whole stack more of players tipped for greatness who have bombed.

2 minutes ago, Duncan Blackheart said:

Great news

He's one of our own,

He's one of our own,

Scott McTominay,

He's one of our own

19 minutes ago, todd said:

That's the problem though. Folk will turn up at Hampden expecting him to perform monkey tricks. It's what happened to fletcher and he was never that sort of player. Way to many average games for Scotland I thought and took the crowd ages to understand what type of player he was. You can tell already what style of player mctominay is going to be and it's no going to be a match winner.

Without trying to pour cold water over this either you’ve got to wonder if he will be a first team /squad member in the long term. You can’t help he’s been a pawn in the Pogba saga to some extent. But probably more importantly, I can’t see mourinho getting away with united playing they way they are for another season, they are brutal, you have to wonder if he’ll find space for McTominay with Matic, Pogba, Herrera already there. 

18 minutes ago, Paulo2576 said:

Can’t ask for more than that really. Opted to play for us and rejects option to speak to England. Welcome onboard Scott. However I don’t think he should be walking into our team just yet. I wonder how must McGinn feel? He’s been seemingly getting primed to step into browns shoes but looks like this lad will just shove him out the way. Fair enough if he’s a better player but he’s not proven that yet.

Excuse me? How does McGinn feel? Grow a pair son-this is serious sport feelings don’t come into it-you pick the best team and the best players available playing at the highest level possible. The last time I checked John McGinn doesn’t play for a famous top 4 premier league team and hasn’t played well in the champions league either. He plays in a rubbish league for a rubbish team.