First job for mcleish.... - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

First job for mcleish....

Malcolm

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Southgate meets with him this weekend and he is playing in the Manchester United first team.  I'm not confident mate.

Sadly Southgate will say you'll play in major finals

Including this summer, he's picking Jake Livermore

However, if he's ever going to choose his heritage that should never come into it

We could badly do with him though with brown retired

Mcginn will have to do

6 hours ago, Bino's said:

Sadly Southgate will say you'll play in major finals

Including this summer, he's picking Jake Livermore

However, if he's ever going to choose his heritage that should never come into it

We could badly do with him though with brown retired

Mcginn will have to do

It's not an either/or with McGinn - the two together would be perfect, one being right-footed, the other left. Also McTom. has the height - useful to protect our central defence at corners and set pieces - that's not something Brown was particularly good at.

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

On the plus side there's Ethan Hamilton at ManU - and his heritage is not questioned. He's described as a Roy Keane type!

It does look like Hamilton has been more highly rated at Old Trafford and McTominay’s emergence is something of a surprise. The latter’s astounding growth spurt is no doubt the reason and that says a lot about modern football.

1 hour ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Just read the interview where he said he 'probably felt more Scottish', he then goes onto say he's not bothered though. If that's the case, I wouldn't be surprised if he picked England for his career prospects

Would love to read the article do you have a link for it by any chance 

The fact that he has met both Southgate and McLeish shouts to me that he has no real strong feelings to either nation and will probably go with the team that he feels will give him the best chance of playing in a world cup or euro 

2 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Good luck to McTominay, whatever he decides. Obviously the potential for us to have a player who is a regular starter at Man Utd is appealing, but if the lad decides to throw in his lot with England then fair enough.

Totally agree, although once he's made his bed he better lie in it if things go tits up with England. 

19 hours ago, Bino's said:

probably true but dont see that anywhere online

bigger question is why off spring of two scottish people can trun into a top level player by growing up in england, when we cant seem to produce anything nowadays

That's the crux of the issue.  Scottish clubs stopped churning out top class youngsters decades ago.  Until they start to again we're going to struggle, because we can't rely on English academies and the abstract concept of 'feeling Scottish' to get us through.

19 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

McLeish should have offered him the captaincy. He might only get a couple of caps for England.  Why is it we cannot get a decent eligibles yet McGeady and McCarthy can snub us for Ireland. I was brought up to believe that Scottish blood runs strong. Not as strong as oirish it would seem.

In Scotland we have Celtic acting as a focal point for the Irish diaspora but there's no Scottish equivalent outside Scotland that I know of.  Also, and possibly more crucially, RoI occasionally qualify for tournaments, whereas we haven't for 20 years and if I'm honest I can't see that ending any time in the near future.

The Irish aren't always successful in attracting eligibles though.  Off the top of my head, Gary Cahill, Martin Keown, Jamie O'Hara and Kevin Nolan could all have represented Ireland, but didn't, as could our very own Darren Fletcher.

1 hour ago, borojock said:

Would love to read the article do you have a link for it by any chance 

The fact that he has met both Southgate and McLeish shouts to me that he has no real strong feelings to either nation and will probably go with the team that he feels will give him the best chance of playing in a world cup or euro 

http://www.squawka.com/news/manchester-united-highlight-mctominay-to-show-scottish-connection-is-still-intact/764285#BTweMrMyoHO1RvYc.97

4 hours ago, Toepoke said:

A carry on like this makes me think the old eligibility rules of country of birth only weren't that bad after all.

So, Maloney could only have played for Malaysia?

Although, I would have been quite happy that. Apart from 2 pretty decent goals, I thought he was pretty shit for us. I'm sure lots of folk won't share that opinion.

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

So, Maloney could only have played for Malaysia?

Absolutely,  the rule was not without flaws eg. Joe Baker playing for England and his brother the USA.

Still at least the issue was clear cut from the off.

2 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Daily Star claiming that they’ve got an exclusive. A ‘source’ claims McTominay has chosen England and could be called up this month.

Said he made the decision after speaking with Rashford and Lingard.

It may be true but I’m going to stick my neck out and say a piece of shit like the Daily Star has probably taken a stab in the dark with that.

15 minutes ago, Ormond said:

It may be true but I’m going to stick my neck out and say a piece of shit like the Daily Star has probably taken a stab in the dark with that.

Yes I'd generally agree with the sentiments about the Daily Star but clues are there and would suggest an element of truth to it considering McTominay knocked back a call-up V Netherlands. But lets just wait and see.

To be fair to the lad, it's a tough decision.

Sounds like he's got a lot of Scottish family and I'd be delighted if he chose us.

He's got a lot of colleagues that will be persuading him towards England though, so I can't begrudge him taking that option either.

Good luck to him whatever he chooses.... Can't help thinking of Gabby Agbonlahor though who got 2 or 3 appearances for England, but could have been a star for Scotland across numerous campaigns. Hopefully McLeish's power of persuasion is better this time.

22 hours ago, scotlad said:

That's the crux of the issue.  Scottish clubs stopped churning out top class youngsters decades ago.  Until they start to again we're going to struggle, because we can't rely on English academies and the abstract concept of 'feeling Scottish' to get us through.

In Scotland we have Celtic acting as a focal point for the Irish diaspora but there's no Scottish equivalent outside Scotland that I know of.  Also, and possibly more crucially, RoI occasionally qualify for tournaments, whereas we haven't for 20 years and if I'm honest I can't see that ending any time in the near future.

The Irish aren't always successful in attracting eligibles though.  Off the top of my head, Gary Cahill, Martin Keown, Jamie O'Hara and Kevin Nolan could all have represented Ireland, but didn't, as could our very own Darren Fletcher.

Well, we'll just have to get Corby Town promoted to the EPL lol!

8 hours ago, COLT NY said:

To be fair to the lad, it's a tough decision.

Sounds like he's got a lot of Scottish family and I'd be delighted if he chose us.

He's got a lot of colleagues that will be persuading him towards England though, so I can't begrudge him taking that option either.

Good luck to him whatever he chooses.... Can't help thinking of Gabby Agbonlahor though who got 2 or 3 appearances for England, but could have been a star for Scotland across numerous campaigns. Hopefully McLeish's power of persuasion is better this time.

IIRC Agbonlahor was a case we were fed bum info... it was reported at the time his mum was Scottish (which she is) but we were under the impression he was on good terms with his mum and bad terms with his dad, but turned out it was the other way around and his Dad was actually his agent or something (while his mum walked out on the family when he was a baby and spent the last decade trying to worm her way back into his life)

Edited by wanderer

2 hours ago, wanderer said:

IIRC Agbonlahor was a case we were fed bum info... it was reported at the time his mum was Scottish (which she is) but we were under the impression he was on good terms with his mum and bad terms with his dad, but turned out it was the other way around and his Dad was actually his agent or something (while his mum walked out on the family when he was a baby and spent the last decade trying to worm her way back into his life)

Same applies if he'd chosen Nigeria

Like saga's gone for ivory coast

The sell is you'll play 40 caps for us

Some would be great for us, some won't

Like the evil Ritchie