First job for mcleish.... - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

First job for mcleish....

Malcolm

13 hours ago, aaid said:

Seems like it's more down to a combination of Scot Gemmill, Malky Mackay and Ricky Sbragia courting him over the last nine months that's seen him opt for Scotland rather than McLeish just rocking up and having a word. 

In fairness Mackay said he turned down the chance to play for his side against Holland

1 hour ago, SkyBlueScot said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/12090/11277704/charlie-nicholas-surprised-by-scott-mctominays-decision-to-represent-scotland

He's talking utter bullshit and it makes me really angry. I've listened to this sort of crap so much it drives me nuts. Yes, there may well be players who choose their country on dubious grounds but who knows how anyone feels about who they are and what makes them feel English or Scottish (or whatever)? If you are born and raised in the same place as your mum and dad and grandparents then I can understand how there is little or no question of your identity. For many of us though there are many complex reasons why you'd say "I am X". I was born in England but I always so desperately wanted to be a Scot. Andy Irvine's penalties and Gordon strachan's goal in 86 all reinforced this. I'm an adult now and can say "I am Scottish" but also "I am English" (and to say anything else would be an insult to my mother) but I would still give my right arm to represent Scotland (football, curling, whatever...)

Excuse the rant but Charlie Nicholas can do one.

Nicholas talks some amount of pish on most occasions and I think he’s wrong about SMcT. However, good on him for actually coming out and criticising the bullshit eligibility rules and saying what they are and what they actually represent in reality. First time I’ve heard a pundit have a say on this, other than the, ‘thems the rules’ cop out we normally get. 

4 hours ago, Paulo2576 said:

Nicholas talks some amount of pish on most occasions and I think he’s wrong about SMcT. However, good on him for actually coming out and criticising the bullshit eligibility rules and saying what they are and what they actually represent in reality. First time I’ve heard a pundit have a say on this, other than the, ‘thems the rules’ cop out we normally get. 

Don't necessarily disagree with what NIcholas has to say about the rules or the reliance on eligibles. However, two things about this article really piss me off.

- The fact that he's waited for ST to declare for Scotland to come out with this. This is a lad who's declared for us at a young age, after only a handful of games, but who's playing at one of the best teams in Europe. It's so different from the numerous "English" boys who've declared for us at 23/24 once they find themselves 1/3 of a way through their career and still at Derby, QPR or Bournemouth.

- My question would be why didn't he choose one of those occasions to raise this point? But then again, when I think about it, that wouldn't be any better as he really doesn't know anything about their family situation or what makes someone who doesn't have a Scottish accent feel Scottish. My son doesn't have a Scottish accent, but try telling him that when Lee Griffiths got that second free kick or when we murdered them English at the rugby last week.

By the way... English press wasting no time in trying to shoot ST down now he's made his decision...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5465663/Manchester-Uniteds-Scott-McTominay-struggled-Crystal-Palace-test.html

Nicholas has always been pretty vocal on this subject, only thing is he rarely sticks to his guns on it, and mostly uses it as a stick to beat whoever he has fell out with at the SFA (Nigel Quashie he was very vocal about, yet was clear it was just to stick the boot into Vogts, and when Smith came along and Quashie was a vital link in his team, he could not praise him highly enough)

9 hours ago, Paulo2576 said:

If Nicholas had stayed out the night clubs he might have actually done something in a Scotland shirt. His rant is ridiculous.

54 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

If Nicholas had stayed out the night clubs he might have actually done something in a Scotland shirt. His rant is ridiculous.

It is. If McTominay's priority is raising his own profile then surely playing for England would have made far more sense.

I'm delighted McTominay's chosen to play for Scotland. Hopefully he'll fulfil his potential, unlike the bitter Charlie Nicholas, who could have been a much, much better player than he turned out to be.