Fifa & Gibraltar - Ramifications For Us? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Fifa & Gibraltar - Ramifications For Us?

Cove_Sheep

OFFICIAL STATEMENT IN REACTION TO FIFA's DECISION RELATING TO OUR FIFA APPLICATION TODAY:

The Gibraltar FA is extremely disappointed the decision taken by Football’s World Governing Body, FIFA, at its Executive Committee Meeting this week, to reject our Membership Application on the grounds that Gibraltar is not an Independent Country.

The decision was announced, this afternoon, at a Press Conference, following a meeting of the FIFA Executive Committee, by FIFA President Sepp Blatter.

The Gibraltar Football Association is extremely disappointed that once again political issues are being allowed to interfere with and take precedence over sporting considerations.

Unfortunately this is a decision that, at this stage, the Gibraltar FA expected and as a result, the Gibraltar FA is already nonetheless engaged in preparing its case for admission to FIFA with the Court of Arbitration for Sport, (CAS), in Lausanne Switzerland.

Not sure of Gibraltar's powers. Do they have Home Rule as such? Faroes do.

Faroes voted for Indy in the 50s or 60s, it was close, but yes ended up winning something like 52-48, but no idea why it didn't happen.

Taking this hugely off topic, but wonder what the polling in the Faroes is for Indy.

Well fact FIFA do not recognise Gibraltar to allow them into their set up says it all.....

Not sure its that clear cut Gibraltar is not yet a full member of FIFA and is therefore not eligible to enter the World Cup – however its matches at confederation level are recognized by Fifa also the rules for points are based on three criteria not one :

Calculation of points for a single match

P = M x I x T x C

M: points for Match result

Teams gain 3 points for a victory, 1 point for a draw and 0 points for a defeat. In a penalty shoot-out, the winning team gains 2 points and the losing team gains 1 point.

I: Importance of match

Friendly match (including small competitions): I = 1.0

FIFA World Cup™ qualifier or confederation-level qualifier: I = 2.5

Confederation-level final competition or FIFA Confederations Cup: I = 3.0

FIFA World Cup™ final competition: I = 4.0

T: strength of opposing Team

The strength of the opponents is based on the formula: 200 – the ranking position of the opponents.As an exception to this formula, the team at the top of the ranking is always assigned the value 200 and the teams ranked 150th and below are assigned a minimum value of 50. The ranking position is taken from the opponents’ ranking in the most recently published FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking.

Cheers for the link, isnt easy information to find on the FIFA site much like most of their reports !

Bottom line is if we finish second we don’t need to worry too much about points

Some groups have fewer teams as well so it’s not a significant disadvantage

Cheers for the link, isnt easy information to find on the FIFA site much like most of their reports !

Bottom line is if we finish second we dont need to worry too much about points

Some groups have fewer teams as well so its not a significant disadvantage

True, but like the Irish, those extra points could make a massive difference for our World Cup pot.

At least the group with 5 teams have games against France for friendlies.

With regards to Gibraltar and FIFA, I suspect FIFA acknowledge them in the same way they view teams like Catalonia and Tibet.... They know of them and are happy to let teams play them, but teams who do should not expect it to be treated the same way the like of a San Marino v Italy game would be treated from FIFA

Edited by wanderer