Alan Hutton - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Alan Hutton

N4Footsoldier

Let's look at the facts:

We have no recognised right back of suitable standard in the current squad

McLeish already bumming him up in the media

Playing well and Aston Villa flying at the minute

Attack-minded right footed player which we don't have many of at the minute

Would he fit back into the team? Who would you have right back?

2 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Let's look at the facts:

We have no recognised right back of suitable standard in the current squad

McLeish already bumming him up in the media

Playing well and Aston Villa flying at the minute

Attack-minded right footed player which we don't have many of at the minute

Would he fit back into the team? Who would you have right back?

Ironically, he's playing at Left Back.

Re Paterson - I’m all for him being tried in the friendlies but he’s playing middle of the park for Cardiff mostly he might not be able to seamlessly slot in there for international games- if he does it would be handy tho 

21 minutes ago, noctonjock said:

I went to the Leeds v cardiff game a couple of weeks back and Paterson was playing behind the striker and played really well. Scored a goal and also an assist . Would be a waste at right back 

I’m not so sure. He plays a specific role for a very direct Cardiff team. I reckon he’d be a waste for us there. He’d be better at right back for us unless we’re chasing a game. 

At wing back he’d be allowed a few forays forward too. 

9 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

I’m not so sure. He plays a specific role for a very direct Cardiff team. I reckon he’d be a waste for us there. He’d be better at right back for us unless we’re chasing a game. 

At wing back he’d be allowed a few forays forward too. 

Of course he would, and he’d be a big threat at the back post for Robertson or Tierney’s crosses. He’d got good pace and power would get up and down the right flank all game. Totally wasted as a number 10 for us. McGregor, Snodgrass, Armstrong are better options there.

Paterson is younger and playing at the exact sameness level. Huttons performance against Italy earned him a lot of brownie points but he was shite most of the time he played. He always gave me the impression he didn’t want to be there, confirmed considering he “retired” at such a young age.

Got 4 games at least to experiment if he doesn't get too many call-offs.   Should make best use of them, and hope younger players establish themselves.

When it comes to the Nat. Lg. games, it needs to be whoever is in form (and is a good fit).   Not just building for the future at that point.   They could be our best chance to qualify as we will see when the Euro Qual draw is made afterwards.