Machu Picchu And Kilts - Page 2 - Peru v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Machu Picchu And Kilts

Ormond

34 minutes ago, Brummie Hibs said:

It seems like I need to do a bit of research on this. We have the money for it, but it is whether we can justify it. 

Saying that, I went to Angkor Wat a couple of years back and it blew me away, however completely spoiled by the number of tourists. The GF wasn't impressed at all, so I'm fighting a battle....

Sometimes folk just can't see the obvious answer staring them in the face. Leave the Missus in Lima to enjoy herself with the boys while you go to Machu Picchu. Half the price. :ok: You might need to leave her some spending money though.

24 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Sometimes folk just can't see the obvious answer staring them in the face. Leave the Missus in Lima to enjoy herself with the boys while you go to Machu Picchu. Half the price. :ok: You might need to leave her some spending money though.

Mine is being left in her hame country. Two weeks withoot her. :ok:

This post is solely for @Parklife :)

Edited by Ormond

Hadn’t thought about kilt tbh, but had thought about taking my pipes for a wee time at the sun gate looking down on MP. Maybe give that a miss if you can’t even wear a kilt. 

We’re flying into Cusco on 24th, 2 day trail 25th/26th, then back to Lima 27th.

About £600 each for flights, hotels, permit, tickets, guide and all other transport etc. 

It was on the bucket list to do, so perfect opportunity with the game being on. Unfortunately all the 4 day trail permits long since sold out. 

My plan is quite tight timewise and probably costing £400ish

Sunday, early flight to Cusco, private half day tour ending in Ollantaytambo, train to Aguas Calientes, overnight here. 

Monday, MP very early, afternoon train to Poroy, taxi to Cusco, overnight here. 

Tuesday, early flight back to Lima. 

Something else I would like an opinion on. Storing luggage at an airport.

I arrive one day ahead of my scheduled Cusco flight. As I will be away from home for 2 weeks almost I am going to need a case. In a small backpack though I can have everything I need easily for my 4 day trip inland to the Cusco region. Would any of you trust leaving a large-ish case in the luggage storage at the airport for 4 days? It would be easy to then pick it up when I fly back from Cusco to Lima.

Edited by Ormond

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

Something else I would like an opinion on. Storing luggage at an airport.

I arrive one day ahead of my scheduled Cusco flight. As I will be away from home for 2 weeks almost I am going to need a case. In a small backpack though I can have everything I need easily for my 4 day trip inland to the Cusco region. Would any of you trust leaving a large-ish case in the luggage storage at the airport for 4 days? It would be easy to then pick it up when I fly back from Cusco to Lima.

Ricardo who works at Lima airport business partner Alberto will be waiting for you at Chicago airport when you get back up the road

Ormond McCollum. You'll be in the jungle or big brother hoose within a year of getting oot the jiyle 

Edited by DoonTheSlope

9 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Ricardo who works at Lima airport business partner Alberto will be waiting for you at Chicago airport when you get back up the road.

I need my gear kept at Lima though for my remaining days there then my few days in Meheeco. Can you message Alberto for me?

10 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Ormond McCollum. You'll be in the jungle or big brother hoose within a year of getting oot the jiyle 

I watch every one of those Banged Up Abroad shows on NatGeo. Nearly all of them are Peru and Mexico too. 

10 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Booked it all, coming in at under £300, but that includes a full day tour in Cusco at £60, so I think thats pretty damn good.

Is that a direct train and back from Cusco(Poroy) then? Or are you splitting up the travel?

Sunday, fly to Cusco (06:35 - 08:00), full day tour from Cusco ending in Ollantaytambo, then train to Aguas Calientes (19:04 - 20:45)

Monday, morning at Machu Picchu, train to Poroy (15:20 - 19:05) then taxi to Cusco hotel.

Tuesday, fly back to Lima (08:30 - 10:00)

4 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Sunday, fly to Cusco (06:35 - 08:00), full day tour from Cusco ending in Ollantaytambo, then train to Aguas Calientes (19:04 - 20:45)

Monday, morning at Machu Picchu, train to Poroy (15:20 - 19:05) then taxi to Cusco hotel.

Near enough the same thing as I'm doing with my halfway stop in Ollantaytambo also. I'll be back in Lima the day you get to Cusco.

Also @kumnio I researched the kilt thing further if you are still planning on wearing it. At the tourist info place in Cusco you can purchase a permit that should allow you to wear your kilt up Machu. The only thing that might be worth considering though is that you still might get a cunty wee fucker at the gate refusing you in regardless of the permit.

10 hours ago, kumnio said:

Was that all done by a tour operator, or did you do it yourself?

On 20/02/2018 at 10:48 PM, kumnio said:

Think you are on the same flight out as a few of us... well 16 of us!! We're heading straight to Machu Picchu on the Sunday, staying up that way overnight then heading back to Cusco following morning for a few hours before late afternoon flight back to Lima on the Monday. Busy couple of days but we're tight on time to fit it in.