Winter Olympics. Official thread? - Page 2 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Winter Olympics. Official thread?

Eisegerwind

31 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

6 Olympic races and she's been disqualified from 4 and crashed out of 2.  I think the lassie maybe needs to look at her tactics (and that's speaking from my vast short track speed skating experience!!). 

Is she related to Tom McKean at all?

Whats the difference between Elise Christie and Scott Brown.

One's reputation clearly precedes them, doesn't learn and thinks they're immune from punishment despite getting caught blatantly cheating time and time again.  And the other is Scott Brown. 

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

6 Olympic races and she's been disqualified from 4 and crashed out of 2.  I think the lassie maybe needs to look at her tactics (and that's speaking from my vast short track speed skating experience!!). 

Don't think so. Look at her record elsewhere - World Championships 3 gold, 4 silver, 5 bronze, European championships 10 gold, 6 silver, 1 bronze. Just bad luck at the Olympics. It'll be a huge story when she wins in 2022.

5 hours ago, biffer said:

Both won their games overnight, now both at 5-3. One game left for each, and a win will guarantee a semifinal.

Aye, looking better now. I think the men's team should get through OK. But I think Eve might still need to beat Canada in her last game. It could be very close if she doesn't. That would also knock Canada out, which would be quite good.

2 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Aye, looking better now. I think the men's team should get through OK. But I think Eve might still need to beat Canada in her last game. It could be very close if she doesn't. That would also knock Canada out, which would be quite good.

Canada though have been very patchy though for whatever the reason so not quite as fearsome a challenge as it sounds.

By my estimation (following results in the evening session in which GB did not play) results went their way and as I understand it they cannot be displaced from the top four even if they lose against USA tomorrow.

Currently, GB stand third and only USA, Switzerland and Japan can finish level on a 5 wins 4 losses record. Switzerland have already finished their nine matches with a 5-4 record but as GB beat them in the Round Robin match then GB finish above them even with a loss tomorrow. Japan even with a win in their final match and loss for GB with both ending with a 5-4 record would mean GB finish above them as they beat Japan in the Round Robin match. USA if they were to beat GB would finish with a 5-4 record like GB and would finish above GB as they would have beaten them in the Round Robin. The qualifiers will be:-

Sweden

Canada (most probably as they play already eliminated Denmark tomorrow)

USA (3rd if the beat GB)

GB (but 3rd if they beat USA with either Switzerland 4th).

Possible Semis being:-

Sweden V Switzerland (or GB if they lose tomorrow)

Canada V USA (or GB if USA lose tomorrow)

My heid hurts.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Canada though have been very patchy though for whatever the reason so not quite as fearsome a challenge as it sounds.

If Rachel Homan (Canada) wins her last 2 games against us and Denmark she will probably get at least a tie break. If she wins that she will be back to being favourite for the gold again. She is very capable of winning three games in a row. I think Eve needs to beat her. But it wont be easy.

Edited by Orraloon

37 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

By my estimation (following results in the evening session in which GB did not play) results went their way and as I understand it they cannot be displaced from the top four even if they lose against USA tomorrow.

Currently, GB stand third and only USA, Switzerland and Japan can finish level on a 5 wins 4 losses record. Switzerland have already finished their nine matches with a 5-4 record but as GB beat them in the Round Robin match then GB finish above them even with a loss tomorrow. Japan even with a win in their final match and loss for GB with both ending with a 5-4 record would mean GB finish above them as they beat Japan in the Round Robin match. USA if they were to beat GB would finish with a 5-4 record like GB and would finish above GB as they would have beaten them in the Round Robin. The qualifiers will be:-

Sweden

Canada (most probably as they play already eliminated Denmark tomorrow)

USA (3rd if the beat GB)

GB (but 3rd if they beat USA with either Switzerland 4th).

Possible Semis being:-

Sweden V Switzerland (or GB if they lose tomorrow)

Canada V USA (or GB if USA lose tomorrow)

My heid hurts.

It's simple if only two teams are tied at 5 and 4. When there is more than two teams tied it gets complicated. 

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

If Rachel Homan (Canada) wins her last 2 games against us and Denmark she will probably get at least a play off. If she wins that she will be back to being favourite for the gold again. She is very capable of winning three games in a row. I think Eve needs to beat her. But it wont be easy.

I'm not saying it will be easy for GB just that Canada have already lost two (maybe three) more games than they would have expected at this stage so evidently they aren't in sparkling form.

54 minutes ago, biffer said:

Women in the semis with a great win over Canada (the shot in the ninth end was astonishing!), men need a playoff v Denmark. 

Even after that, Canada should still have been in control. Force us to take 1 in the final end, then they would have the hammer for the extra end. I can't believe they allowed all those yellow stones to build up in the house. Good exciting stuff though. 

With regards the Men's Curling team - now that's what you call blowing it 

Looked a poor team this Olympics compared to previous to be fair 

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Much more inexperienced (ages 25, 22, 24 and 24), so they've got many more years in them. I don't think Kyle Smith has actually skipped a rink at a World Championships yet, so to get this close to a medal in what is your first competition at this level is pretty damn good. The Ladies team has been playing at this level for much longer (Eve Muirhead was 18 when she first skipped a rink at the World Championships) but are still only 27, 27, 28 and 26, so great prospects there as well. Women's curling will potentially have some great rivalries over the next decade, as the skips from Sweden, Canada, and Japan are all roughly the same age as well. The skips of the Swedish, Canadian and US teams in the mens are all 10-15 years older than Kyle Smith.

Edited by biffer

Have to admit the Scottish Curling Team is a far cry from the Rhona Martin days 

Without being sexist they are all attractive in their own ways 

Especially Anna 

Anna%20Sloan01.jpg

Anna+Sloan+Winter+Olympics+Curling+2loNf

6 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

To be fair, if that last stone that Kyle Smith played, in the 9th end, had stopped 20 mm closer to the centre line, that shot that the Swiss guy played would have been impossible. As it was, that shot was damned near impossible and was probably the best shot I've seen in the tournament. It comes down to very fine margins at this level.

You could argue that it was a mistake to let so many stones build up in the house when you are one shot ahead in the 9th end. But the Canadian lassies did exactly the same against Scotland, and the Canadians know how to play this game better than anybody. 

14 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

To be fair, if that last stone that Kyle Smith played, in the 9th end, had stopped 20 mm closer to the centre line, that shot that the Swiss guy played would have been impossible. As it was, that shot was damned near impossible and was probably the best shot I've seen in the tournament. It comes down to very fine margins at this level.

You could argue that it was a mistake to let so many stones build up in the house when you are one shot ahead in the 9th end. But the Canadian lassies did exactly the same against Scotland, and the Canadians know how to play this game better than anybody. 

I would say the mistake came in the preceding two stones. One of them (at least) should have been used to hit the guard onto the red at the top of the head onto the nest that had formed to open things right up. Even rtemoving one or two scoring reds and opening the end up would have been a vast improvemement then the final delivery could have been used again in an attempt to rmove more or try to draw close to limit the damage. Hindsight is a great thing though and that last Swiss delivery was superb so you have to hold your hands up and say: 'Too good.'

13 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Denmark have that something else though 

www.toromagazine.com-Madelaine_Dupont_nu

Eve Muirhead is the perfect Scottish lass though. World Champion curler, plays golf off scratch, plays the bagpipes and scrubs up wel

[i=eve_muirhead_ssslide1main_1024_jpg_jpeg_