New manager: Who do you want? - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

New manager: Who do you want?

PASTA Mick

New Manager: Who do you want?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to be appointed?

• Alex McLeish
    • Alex Neil
    • Malky MacKay
    • Scot Gemmill
    • Steve Clark
    • Walter Smith
    • Gary Caldwell
    • Derek McInnes
    • Neil Lennon
    • Alan Stubbs
    • Paul Lambert
    • Slaven Bilić
    • Billy Davies
    • David Moyes
    • Gordon Strachan
    • Graham Alexander
    • John Hughes
    • John Collins
    • Other

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

I have been following Scotland since the 80s and I think there has been at least one dark night in every campaign, Brown’s tenure included. 

Just once I’d like to go through a campaign winning all the games we’re supposed to and picking up the odd point we’re not meant to get. 

Maybe one day. 

Vogts nights were the darkest though and they came back to bite us.

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It is very faiir to say that be it Vogts, Smith, McLeish, Burley, Levein or Strachan each have shot themselves in the foot dropping points in matches they shouldn't have and it has cost us perhaps a play-off spot or outright qualification.

I'm sure the stat is that if we'd beaten the bottom 2 sides in our group, we'd have either qualified or made the play-offs in every campaign since 1998, other than 1 (I think). It is our inability to beat the worst sides consistently that makes it so difficult for us. 

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

And he also played a whole string of duds. Trial and error I know. However, it must be remembered that Vogts had no choice as there were a number of the squad he inherited who either retired or were on the brink of it.

A lot of people forget this. Vogts literally had to build a squad pretty much from scratch due to Brown's reluctance to introduce younger players. Yes he probably had an easier group than the likes of Levein, Smith and Strachan had, but they at least has a reasonably settled squad most of the time.

11 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I'm sure the stat is that if we'd beaten the bottom 2 sides in our group, we'd have either qualified or made the play-offs in every campaign since 1998, other than 1 (I think). It is our inability to beat the worst sides consistently that makes it so difficult for us. 

Really? That’s a shocking stat. 

I assume the one exception was Levein making an arse of himself? 

46 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Really? That’s a shocking stat. 

I assume the one exception was Levein making an arse of himself? 

I think it might have been. Levein dropped 2 points in Lithuania but they still wouldn't have been enough to eclipse the Czechs in 2nd.

17 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I think it might have been. Levein dropped 2 points in Lithuania but they still wouldn't have been enough to eclipse the Czechs in 2nd.

I think you’re right. If we’d have hammered Lithuania we might have been ahead of the Czechs on goal difference but I’m pretty sure European Championship qualifying goes on head to head first so we’d still have been 3rd. 

33 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I think you’re right. If we’d have hammered Lithuania we might have been ahead of the Czechs on goal difference but I’m pretty sure European Championship qualifying goes on head to head first so we’d still have been 3rd. 

Bringing back nightmares of the home game against the Czechs when Levein in his tatcial genius brought on Danny Wilson to play left back in the last 10 minuites. Only to give a penalty away in the last minutie. That and that jammy 97th minuite winner against Liechtenstein. By far our worse manger.

Edited by bookerman

11 minutes ago, bookerman said:

Bringing back nightmares of the home game against the Czechs when Levein in his tatcial genius brought on Danny Wilson to play left back in the last 10 minuites. Only to give a penalty away in the last minutie. That and that jammy 97th minuite winner against Liechtenstein. By far our worse manger.

True. 

You haven’t mentioned the strikerless away game against the Czechs though. That was his worst mistake I think. 

1 hour ago, bookerman said:

Danny Wilson played the pass that  created Fletchers goal which could have been the winner in that game, and the penalty was a blatant dive 😂😂 odd one to pick out.

the bigger issue was the entire game away to the Czechs, we were good enough for a point that game  with a positive set-up, they were a bang average side.

6 hours ago, bookerman said:

Burley was worse than Levein. Burley took over a solid team that had pushed France and Italy all the way and made a load of changes, turning us into a very poor side. 

Levein wasn't great but the Burley years were the worst.   

11 hours ago, stevenmcn said:

A lot of people forget this. Vogts literally had to build a squad pretty much from scratch due to Brown's reluctance to introduce younger players. Yes he probably had an easier group than the likes of Levein, Smith and Strachan had, but they at least has a reasonably settled squad most of the time.

Vogts still had Lambert and Ferguson in midfield

Would have had Weir at the back if he spectacularly f'cked that

And Fletcher and McFadden coming through

11 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Correct where we always fall down

Ireland s victory away to Georgia compared to our non performance great example

26 minutes ago, Bino's said:

Vogts still had Lambert and Ferguson in midfield

Would have had Weir at the back if he spectacularly f'cked that

And Fletcher and McFadden coming through

Also had Christian Dailly at the centre of defence. Both Weir and Dailly are better than anything we have in that position at present.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

18 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Nobody wants him and I can see why but I reckon he might do OK. We could do with some of the luck he had in Paris. 

If we do end up with McLeish and we qualify for Euro 2020 people will be saying they wanted him all along and will be treating him like a ginger god. 

When I look at the list of candidates I feel absolutely nothing. The ones I do feel could possibly do something are highly unlikely to want or get the job. I will however support whoever gets it in the hope, once again, that we will actually so something this time.   

This is the first time I have not renewed my membership within a few days of the announcement, I am a bit scunnered with it all.  I do not like to bring politics into the subject as I think sport and politics should be kept firmly apart, but between the football and the political situation I feel that as a nation we are always going to settle for being the bridesmaid and never the bride. Infact sometimes the fckin wedding guest. Evening only. 

I am away to listen to Morrissey to cheer myself up 🙂

12 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Steve Clarke claiming he's not had any contact, he goes on to say he's happy at Kilmarnock

I must say he looks fucking delighted anytime he gets interviewed right enough

He was my choice . Stick the boot in why dont you 🙁

If someone is,waiting for contact, they are not for the job unless football employment is unique, I want someone who wants the job and therefore apply for it. If they cant apply because of their current emploter then maybe its not the right time. I think Moyes wants it in the summer and has already said he is leaving West Ham at the end of the season. 

9 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

If someone is,waiting for contact, they are not for the job unless football employment is unique, I want someone who wants the job and therefore apply for it. If they cant apply because of their current emploter then maybe its not the right time. I think Moyes wants it in the summer and has already said he is leaving West Ham at the end of the season. 

👍

55 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Steve Clarke claiming he's not had any contact, he goes on to say he's happy at Kilmarnock

I must say he looks fucking delighted anytime he gets interviewed right enough

Disappointing but as someone else rightly said (and I did) that if they truly want the job they'll get off their arse and fill out an application form. Those that haven't obviously do not truly want the job for one reason or another. If these quotes are accurate from Clarke then that is another one you can chalk off the list.