Red wine and Skiing - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Red wine and Skiing

There are  2 subjects I have questions on and rather than clutter the board with 2 uninteresting threads I thought I would combine them.

My first question is about skiing. I was going to put it in the ‘other sports’  section but folk might think I know about skiing when infact I know fook all. 

I am thinking of taking some skiing lessons and was wondering if there are any skiiers out there that could advise me on whether or not I am too old. Are you too old to take up skiing at 54? I tried waterskiing a few years ago and could not  get myself out the water.

My second question is about red wine. 

As the news broke earlier about Stewart Regan I thought I would celebrate tonight  with some red wine. Now, I can do this as I am at home, but never ever can I drink red wine in public as my teeth go red and I also get dracula type lines just above my lips.    

Does anyone else have this problem and how do they overcome it ? I know I originate from Paisley and talk about gloopy jobby smoothies but I draw the line at drinking wine through a straw.  Unless of course I have broken my arms learning to ski 😬

Any advice on either subject would be much appreciated. 

6 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

There are  2 subjects I have questions on and rather than clutter the board with 2 uninteresting threads I thought I would combine them.

My first question is about skiing. I was going to put it in the ‘other sports’  section but folk might think I know about skiing when infact I know fook all. 

I am thinking of taking some skiing lessons and was wondering if there are any skiiers out there that could advise me on whether or not I am too old. Are you too old to take up skiing at 54? I tried waterskiing a few years ago and could not  get myself out the water.

As the news broke earlier about Stewart Regan I thought I would celebrate tonight  with some red wine. Now, I can do this as I am at home, but never ever can I drink red wine in public as my teeth go red and I also get dracula type lines just above my lips.    

Does anyone else have this problem and how do they overcome it ? I know I originate from Paisley and talk about gloopy jobby smoothies but I draw the line at drinking wine through a straw.  Unless of course I have broken my arms learning to ski 😬

Have you tried drinking it out of a glass instead of straight from the bottle?

3 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Used to ski as a teenager at Glenshee, but these days my knees are gubbed due to my years of enjoying my regular rubbings with Stewarton Annick :lol:

Red wine - don't pay under a tenner a bottle in a supermarket or you get rubbish. And it means you're a jaikey.

Does a good red wine stop you getting red teeth ? 

Three men woke up in the morning once after a hoor of a night out all in the same bed. All three of them were bollock naked. The guy on the left blurts out that he had been having this weird dream that he was being wanked off. The guy on the other side on the right said he had had the exact same dream. The guy in the middle said that was nothing as he had had a dream that he was skiing. 

3 hours ago, Ormond said:

Three men woke up in the morning once after a hoor of a night out all in the same bed. All three of them were bollock naked. The guy on the left blurts out that he had been having this weird dream that he was being wanked off. The guy on the other side on the right said he had had the exact same dream. The guy in the middle said that was nothing as he had had a dream that he was skiing. 

But had they been drinking red wine?

13 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

'k'n hell hen.   So wummin do get mid life crisis after all!

Right, I'm gettin' her a parachute giftie for her birthday.   What else would you suggest on the bucket(-o-wine) list :P

Make it a dual parachute jump over the grand canyon. And a pair of scissors 😬

12 hours ago, ShedTA said:

Plenty time yet to get into the skiing. If you stay near glasgow get along to braehead and give it a shot. Get lessons though don't just go for it yourself . It's fantastic. 

Intu is only 15 mins away. Would you recomnend this over the dry ski slopes and do you think it is better to get one -to -one lessons rather than group? 

How fit do you need to be? I am not overweight but I dont do much excercise. The occasional pilates class. 

We used to do it with the school at Glenshee too.

I found it pretty easy to pick up, but some folk had a tendency to panic and sit down.

Dont know how long or expensive a lesson is? A 1/2 day group lesson would probably be enough to see if you were up to it. I’d imagine it’s more than the £12 we paid.

:lol:

There was a boy in my PE class, bit of a bampot that bluffed he could ski, we got to the top of the hill and agreed to ski over to a point and wait, this boy just launched himself straight down the hill like Eddie the eagle, had no idea how to stop, slow down or turn. He got bumped to the beginners class after lunch, but i bet he had more fun in the morning!

Just go to Braehead and do that!

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

We used to do it with the school at Glenshee too.

I found it pretty easy to pick up, but some folk had a tendency to panic and sit down.

Dont know how long or expensive a lesson is? A 1/2 day group lesson would probably be enough to see if you were up to it. I’d imagine it’s more than the £12 we paid.

There was a boy in my PE class, bit of a bampot that bluffed he could ski, we got to the top of the hill and agreed to ski over to a point and wait, this boy just launched himself straight down the hill like Eddie the eagle, had no idea how to stop, slow down or turn. He got bumped to the beginners class after lunch, but i bet he had more fun in the morning!

Just go to Braehead and do that!

😂😂

You are closer to the truth than you know.

A few years ago I went tobogganing at Braehead with my family, it was mainly for my young niece who was about 3 or 4.

My sister in law slid down quite easily with my niece on her lap. I was on my own toboggan . It was just a wee plastic mat.

Well, I just couldnae control it. I was all over the place. I was flying past everyone else and I could not stop at the bottom. I knocked over the bollard type things 3 times and took a wee boy right off his feet when I crashed into him just as he was getting up . I got 2 warnings from the staff and was told I would be sent off if I couldnt learn to stop. 

It was the best fun I had in ages, my husband and brother were watching from the bar cheering me on.  Just think of the damage i could do on skis.

All that said, I am seriously thinking of going along.

The indoor snow place at Braehead is great.  Far better than a dry slope.  I spent an afternoon skiing there while she was having a lesson.  Hadn't really skied since 1998 but you don't really forget how to do it.  I was 64 last time we went, and although I was a bit sore the next day, there were no lasting ill effects.  At 54, you should be fine.

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Intu is only 15 mins away. Would you recomnend this over the dry ski slopes and do you think it is better to get one -to -one lessons rather than group? 

How fit do you need to be? I am not overweight but I dont do much excercise. The occasional pilates class. 

my kids ski at hillend every week on the dry slope - its actually very good once you get used to it. teaches you good technique.  get one to one or small group lessons i would say. one to one is going to be more expensive thats the only thing but to start with probably worthwhile. 

I also learned at Glenshee - used to go every week as a boy when the snow was good.  and the snow used to be very good. I remember the drifts being higher than the minibus on the way up the road.

fitness wise you should be ok - it'll be your legs that get it mainly, obviously,  if you are generally quite active - you will take a few bumps and bruises as you learn (not as many as with snow boarding though)  but one thing with skiing, once you get half good at it, it can be quite a lazy sport.  you can fly down the hill with minimal effort.  just depends how much you want to push yourself. 

58 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

😂😂

You are closer to the truth than you know.

A few years ago I went tobogganing at Braehead with my family, it was mainly for my young niece who was about 3 or 4.

My sister in law slid down quite easily with my niece on her lap. I was on my own toboggan . It was just a wee plastic mat.

Well, I just couldnae control it. I was all over the place. I was flying past everyone else and I could not stop at the bottom. I knocked over the bollard type things 3 times and took a wee boy right off his feet when I crashed into him just as he was getting up . I got 2 warnings from the staff and was told I would be sent off if I couldnt learn to stop. 

It was the best fun I had in ages, my husband and brother were watching from the bar cheering me on.  Just think of the damage i could do on skis.

All that said, I am seriously thinking of going along.

18 minutes ago, Alibi said:

The indoor snow place at Braehead is great.  Far better than a dry slope.  I spent an afternoon skiing there while she was having a lesson.  Hadn't really skied since 1998 but you don't really forget how to do it.  I was 64 last time we went, and although I was a bit sore the next day, there were no lasting ill effects.  At 54, you should be fine.

Go for it. Agree snow is better than the dry - but the best is if you can get the hang of it book a week in france somewhere. its absolutley amazing. skiing lets you get to places you just normally wouldn't unless you are a mountain climber i suppose.  stunning.

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

Thanks, I am glad someone closer to my age group has posted. My age is one of the main reasons I have held back so far.

Your experience will obviously have helped but at least I know its not impossible for someone over 50 to try it. 

1 hour ago, ShedTA said:

Go for it. Agree snow is better than the dry - but the best is if you can get the hang of it book a week in france somewhere. its absolutley amazing. skiing lets you get to places you just normally wouldn't unless you are a mountain climber i suppose.  stunning.

I will.

I am getting a bit fed up with the usual sun / sand holidays and thought skiing might open up an alternative.  My husband is quite active for his age, he still plays 5 asides, so I think he would like this too.

There is a young guy at work who learned to ski a couple of years ago . Him and his wife go to somwehere on the France/Swiss border. He got an early flight last Friday and came back on the Sunday, he said it was great. 

The apres ski is always there if I fail miserably 😊

On 2/1/2018 at 7:37 PM, TDYER63 said:

I've skied all my life and still love it.  I'm in my 40's now so beginning to notice that I'm not as care free (kamikaze) on the slopes as I used to be.  However, 54 is no age at all to start skiing.  I would actually suggest that the indoor/artificial type places are more likely to put you off rather than encourage you.  They tend to be more difficult than skiing on the real thing and without the promise of fantastically fattening food and copious amounts of booze at the end of the day.  You can book a pretty cheap deal from Glasgow or Edinburgh to Geneva.  That way, you can be on nursery slopes in an hour and get expert tuition all while getting a suntan and having a great time in the evening.  If you don't like it - you're still having a holiday!