BBC Documentary about Argentina 1978 - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

BBC Documentary about Argentina 1978

TVjohn

I had two Argentina t-shirts. Somewhere I still have a picture of me, taken on the Maid of the Loch on Loch Lomond on the day of the Peru game, proudly wearing the thing. It was the last time I wore it.

I can't remember what the other one said, but after its first trip through the washing machine, the Scotland/Argentina stuff peeled away and revealed the t-shirt's original identity; a Union Jack and stuff about the Queen's silver jubilee the year before. You may extract from that what symbolism you will.

Thought it was excellent - hit exactly the right tone.

Loved the bit where we got through against the Netherlands, made it to the final and won it - genuine goosebumps for those few seconds 🤤 Down to Earth with a bump after though...

Edited by neilser

Just about greetin reliving it again :(

Hope it gives some perspective to those that didnt go through it

Wouldnt trade those 2 years for anything though - what a time to be a Scotland fan

52 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Wouldnt trade those 2 years for anything though - what a time to be a Scotland fan

That was my thinking at the end. I was watching all the sad faces and folk greeting, while jealously thinking 'you lucky bastards!' :lol:

1 hour ago, neilser said:

Loved the bit where we got through against the Netherlands, made it to the final and won it - genuine goosebumps for those few seconds 🤤 Down to Earth with a bump after though...

Aye that was brilliantly done, right down to the Peter Jones' radio commentary. Who hasn't dreamt that at some point.

Great film, I too was welling up at times. I even felt for Lou Macari :-)) 

Oh, and nice to see Jim Todd still drinks in the Foxbar :) 

Edited by Toepoke

Excellent program. Very well done. Obviously impossible to include everything in such a short program. They missed that penalty, just like Masson did. And we still don't know why big DJ was punished by not getting a game. ;)

12 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Just about greetin reliving it again :(

Hope it gives some perspective to those that didnt go through it

Two years of elation for forty years of embarrassment?  I appreciate this isn't a popular opinion but I wish it'd never happened.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Two years of elation for forty years of embarrassment?  I appreciate this isn't a popular opinion but I wish it'd never happened.

Top of the World Ma .....

3 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Radio Scotland were interviewing our Iranian goalscorer Eskandarian this morning!

Geoff Hurst was getting interviewed on the tele for something last night. That’s the difference

No wonder we’re seen as a joke of a nation

Watched it, wasn’t bad. I didn’t think it was as great as some are making out though. 

Would have liked it to have focused more on the fans story rather than the team. We know what happened with the teams performance, it’s been done to death a thousand times over

3 hours ago, aaid said:

Get a grip, it's only a game of fitba. How can you be embarrassed about something you didn't do. It was the players and manager that were shit once they got to Argentina, not you. 

It was the best time ever to follow Scotland. I would happily go through it all again on the way to Qatar. Probably have to wait until the next one though, before we have any chance of being good enough. 

Thought it was one of the best shows on 78 about and glad it did not go full out into Ally bashing that a lot of these shows like to do.

Wish there had been more on the guys who got a job on board a ship to make the WC.

Wee bit about Iran they missed out on that would have been interesting is there goalkeeper had just been signed by Man United, but deal was scrapped due to the Iranian Revolution.

Remember in mid 00's when my work sent to me a job at Johnny Walkers in Killie, was walking into town to get some lunch and walked passed Jim Todd but never recognized him in normal clothes and without his teddy bear 😂 and spent the rest of my lunch break try to figure out how I knew this stranger so well.

6 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Would have liked it to have focused more on the fans story rather than the team. We know what happened with the teams performance, it’s been done to death a thousand times over

Maybe they only managed to find a few who are still alive?

3 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Wee bit about Iran they missed out on that would have been interesting is there goalkeeper had just been signed by Man United, but deal was scrapped due to the Iranian Revolution.

Yeah. It seems that there was no-one at the Iranian FA that could give international clearance to the transfer.

Also worth pointing out that Iran had won the Asian Cup three times in a row prior to that tournament, so they weren't quite the total minnows they were made out to be at the time. Albeit that Scotland side should've beaten them.