How long have you supported your club? - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

How long have you supported your club?

19 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

Scots tend to find Scots when they first emigrate.

Legions, Burns Nights, White Heather Clubs, dances/social nights, etc.

They had to just go with what establishments there was at the time until they became more settled and were able to organise their own clubs.

👍👍

I've watched the Rangers game in mixed company a few times, nothing weird about it. Sometimes it's fine, sometimes it's not. Depends on the company you're keeping I suppose. One thing's for sure, any animosity isn't peculiar to Celtic/Rangers fans. I once had the misfortune to be in a pub in Tenerife when it kicked off between Derby and Nottingham Forest fans.....not pleasant.

6 minutes ago, slasher said:

I've watched the Rangers game in mixed company a few times, nothing weird about it. Sometimes it's fine, sometimes it's not. Depends on the company you're keeping I suppose. One thing's for sure, any animosity isn't peculiar to Celtic/Rangers fans. I once had the misfortune to be in a pub in Tenerife when it kicked off between Derby and Nottingham Forest fans.....not pleasant.

Exactly. You had a good point. The company you are with makes a big difference. I have mates here that i wont go watch a match with.. I know what they are like, and I know when it will kick off..Yes,.even in Ottawa. Not just Celtic v Sevco...

2 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Strange?? No..If you read my post..My son was is a basketball tournament in London, Ontario the same weekend Celtic played the huns..The london Sevco supporters club was the only pub that had the match in. So I put in my Celtic top and I went. I would never sit with a bunch if huns, but I wanted to see the match as I am a die hard Celtic man. Did not give a fuck were is was in, just wanted to see my Celtic pump them again, which we did.😊. Not strange at all fella....

A fully grown human adult getting changed into his Celtic top before entering the “London Sevco supporters club’ to watch the match is indeed strange Im afraid :lol:

2 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Strange?? No..If you read my post..My son was is a basketball tournament in London, Ontario the same weekend Celtic played the huns..The london Sevco supporters club was the only pub that had the match in. So I put in my Celtic top and I went. I would never sit with a bunch if huns, but I wanted to see the match as I am a die hard Celtic man. Did not give a fuck were is was in, just wanted to see my Celtic pump them again, which we did.😊. Not strange at all fella....

You would "never sit with a bunch of huns" yet you walked in to a hun pub/bar to watch the game.  Is that not a bit of a contradiction?  

And also you "hate" them.  Really?  Hate?

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

You would "never sit with a bunch of huns" yet you walked in to a hun pub/bar to watch the game.  Is that not a bit of a contradiction?  

And also you "hate" them.  Really?  Hate?

Yes. I hate rangers football club..I dont hate all rangers supporters. I have mates here in Ottawa who support rangers. We drink together in the pub, no issues. Just not on match day. 😁Odd bit of banter, all in good fun. . Great lads. That is the difference. 😊

4 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Is there no end to your tedium?

3 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

A fully grown human adult getting changed into his Celtic top before entering the “London Sevco supporters club’ to watch the match is indeed strange Im afraid :lol:

Why. I sat at the back of the pub and kept ma yap shut. Until Celtic scored of course. Then it was pure Euphoria, soon to be followed by shittin ma troosers wae all the looks I got.. Easy... 😅😅😅

I had the mispleasure of watching an old firm game in Melbourne that was full of Rangers fans. Very strange to see them take their bile and hatred half way across the world. But just for balance I also watched an old film cup final in a Celtic club back home and it was just as bad. 

2 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I had the mispleasure of watching an old firm game in Melbourne that was full of Rangers fans. Very strange to see them take their bile and hatred half way across the world. But just for balance I also watched an old film cup final in a Celtic club back home and it was just as bad. 

"Just for balance" :lol:

8 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I’ve had the mispleasure of several Hibs v Hearts, Scotland v England matches and none of them have been Birthday parties.

Folk going on like it happens nowhere else but between two Glasgow sides. 😳

1 minute ago, macy37 said:

Not at all, just that’s my only experience but I’m not naive to think it doesn’t go on elsewhere and to the same levels. 

I’ve also watched numerous old firm games with mates who support both teams and it’s been nothing but friendly banter.  

7 minutes ago, macy37 said:

I’ve had the mispleasure of several Hibs v Hearts, Scotland v England matches and none of them have been Birthday parties.

I watched the Scotland v England match in the summer down here n south east england. I lost complete control when Griffiths banged in that 2nd free kick, the english fans were absolutely sound. 

Nice bit of whataboutery though.

Nobody says these other matches are birthday parties but you can't deny there is a higher element of hatred between the OF

35 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I watched the Scotland v England match in the summer down here n south east england. I lost complete control when Griffiths banged in that 2nd free kick, the english fans were absolutely sound. 

Nice bit of whataboutery though.

Nobody says these other matches are birthday parties but you can't deny there is a higher element of hatred between the OF

On the flip side I’ve watched games v the auld enemy in pubs in Berwick where it’s been toxic. I’ve also been in town when it’s been the same pre, during and after the game.

Just for a bit of balance....

48 minutes ago, macy37 said:

The two Glasgow sides have a special breed of scumbag attached to them though.

More so than either of the other two fixtures you mentioned.

Take a trip to Duke Street, Gallowgate or the likes when these two are playing and you'll see that.

Parents had no interest in football so went with my pal and his Dad from age 10 to see Celtic and watched them home/away/Europe till I was about 30 then just stopped, and didn't miss it in the slightest.

When my son was born I started taking him to see Clyde from 4 y.o. onwards as I wanted him to enjoy football but avoid the Old Firm as I'm only too aware of the sectarian baggage surrounding it, and being honest it's the best decision I ever made. We've both watched them now for around 14 years and he was even the mascot the day Clyde knocked Celtic out the Scottish Cup!!

I admit it's odd to change your team and I suppose some people will never accept you can/should, but Ibelieve I done it for the right reason and I'm glad I did.

And you can hardly call me a "glory-hunter"

Mon the Bully Wee!! 

2 hours ago, Andy North Croy said:

Parents had no interest in football so went with my pal and his Dad from age 10 to see Celtic and watched them home/away/Europe till I was about 30 then just stopped, and didn't miss it in the slightest.

When my son was born I started taking him to see Clyde from 4 y.o. onwards as I wanted him to enjoy football but avoid the Old Firm as I'm only too aware of the sectarian baggage surrounding it, and being honest it's the best decision I ever made. We've both watched them now for around 14 years and he was even the mascot the day Clyde knocked Celtic out the Scottish Cup!!

I admit it's odd to change your team and I suppose some people will never accept you can/should, but Ibelieve I done it for the right reason and I'm glad I did.

Mon the Bully Wee!! 

Normally I’d say people who change their team are for the watching but in your case, respect. :ok:

2 hours ago, Andy North Croy said:

Mon the Bully Wee!! 

I always promised myself that if/when I had kids, if they were into football I'd encourage them to follow a local team, not my team. As it happens I ended up back here & my lad is eternally grateful for dodging the bullet that nearly landed him as a Cardiff City supporter. Having said that, when I lived there I could never really bring myself to watch them & used to head off & watch Merthyr Tydfil, who I still have a real soft spot for & I reckon he'd have loved that.

Kudos to you for doing the right thing.

DJKdQibXoAM6bM8.jpg

4 hours ago, Andy North Croy said:

Mon the Bully Wee!! 

Definitely for the watching. Changed team and to support that lot. The only thing I can commend you on is the fact you’re continuing to follow them!😂