How long have you supported your club? - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

How long have you supported your club?

57 minutes ago, glasgow jock said:

Have supported the Clyde since my Da took me to Shawfield mid seventies & by f**k it's been a labour of love ever since, my old man was a big Rangers fan & my Mum was from a big Celtic family from the Gorbals, so to avoid any early divorce procedures my old man took me to see our local (closest team) 

Thank f**k it wasn't Queens Park :lol: 

:ok: Respect. 

8 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Fuck sake man. Did you deliver me that famous day in April 1968???? 😂😂

I’m with you on this. My first grandson is on his way any day now. The HTFC baby grow is in her bag & as far as I’m concerned he’s a Town fan from that day forwards. 

Been going to Fir Park since I was about 4, initially with my dad and grandad, wish I had found out what my first game was actually. Earliest games I can remember and date are 1987.

I was accused of glory hunting in the early 90s off the back of the Scottish Cup wIn in 1991 (despite being at every game of the run except the 1/4 final replay at Cappielow).

8 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I do it every other Saturday.

:lol:

My boy likes the idea of going to fir park, but gets bored after an hour.

I think he’s already emotionally scarred, but developing a hatred of the old firm after the league cup final. Says he only likes going to “daddy’s football” (fir park) and doesn’t like Celtic (unprompted, I didn’t teach him to hate Celtic, he’s learned it himself. :lol: )

18 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Went to my first game in 88, first away game in 89 and have been a season ticket holder for over 25 years.

Probably missed about a dozen games this millennium home or away. It's just what I do on a Saturday.

:ok:

11 hours ago, glasgow jock said:

Have supported the Clyde since my Da took me to Shawfield mid seventies & by f**k it's been a labour of love ever since, my old man was a big Rangers fan & my Mum was from a big Celtic family from the Gorbals, so to avoid any early divorce procedures my old man took me to see our local (closest team) 

Thank f**k it wasn't Queens Park :lol: 

:ok:

Brought up in Fife, but as a kid my Dad (who was from Fraserburgh originally) regularly used to take me to Aberdeen games in either Dundee or Fife. Never quite succeeded in turning me into an Aberdeen fan though, and I finally got to my first game at Tynecastle when I was 16 and old enough to get the train through to Edinburgh on my own. Been going for over 35 year now and have had a season ticket for most of that period, allowing for spells living and working away in London and Dublin, and a brief hiatus during the Romanov thing.

48 years ish

First game c.1969/70 aged 5.

My aunt had just bought me a red top, white shorts & red socks football kit for my birthday.

Shortly after that my dad took me along to Bayview, where I asked him who the team in red & white was that were playing East Fife that day - I was hooked!

A year later we moved to the North East (Keith/Huntly) with my dad's work - He took me to Pittodrie as often as he could - By P6/7 I was going with my school friends on the towns supporters bus.

I will always be extremely grateful to my Auntie Margaret for those 2 stars and shit-loads of happy memories.

Thank F U C K she didn't buy me a blue and white one :lol:

Edited by Redz

47 minutes ago, Redz said:

48 years ish

First game c.1969/70 aged 5.

My aunt had just bought me a red top, white shorts & red socks football kit for my birthday.

Shortly after that my dad took me along to Bayview, where I asked him who the team in red & white was that were playing East Fife that day - I was hooked!

A year later we moved to the North East (Keith/Huntly) with my dad's work - He took me to Pittodrie as often as he could - By P6/7 I was going with my school friends on the towns supporters bus.

I will always be extremely grateful to my Auntie Margaret for those 2 stars and shit-loads of happy memories.

Thank F U C K she didn't buy me a blue and white one :lol:

One of the early games I went to was an East Fife vs Aberdeen game at Bayview. Midweek, I think it was one of Zoltan Varga’s first games for Aberdeen. 

1 hour ago, Pool Q said:

One of the early games I went to was an East Fife vs Aberdeen game at Bayview. Midweek, I think it was one of Zoltan Varga’s first games for Aberdeen. 

That would have been early 70's then I think?

I watched him several times after we'd moved North in 71.

Class act - We were lucky to have him (Briefly).

I recall that he'd been expelled from whatever league (German/Dutch?) for some scandal or other, and we snapped him up.

I wish I'd had a £1 for every time I was lifted over the turnstiles by my dad / uncles at Stark's & Bayview back then - Great times!

6 hours ago, Scunnered said:

Cove Sheep is going to be so fucking triggered when he sees this :lol:

The boy obviously changes clubs more often than you do political parties...

Anyway, I can't recall when my first game was, started going regularly when I was about 12 or 13. Then rarely missed any game at all between Roy Aitken's last season in charge until things changed for me and I stopped being able to go regularly at the end of the League Cup winning season under McInnes.

Varga game was ‘72 maybe? Strange how things stay in your mind, ball went out for a corner, ending up in crowd, my Dad caught it and passed it to me to hand it over the railing to Varga. Joe Harper must have been playing, I’m sure I remember the locals singing the roll out the barrel song.

I think it was the same season (or thereabouts) that we went to the last game of the season against Celtic at an absolutely packed Bayview. They had already won the league, won 6-0 (I think) that day and did a lap of honour after the game. Stein, McNeill, Johnstone, Macari, Lennox, Dalglish. You name it. Just about the best team in Europe at that time, with some of Scotland’s greatest players, strolling about a fitba’ Pitch in Methil.

Edited by Pool Q

When my family moved to bradford we lived a few hundred yards from valley parade and i used to go along at half time when the gates opened i was hooked. My family moved to south bradford and although my uncle still took me to bradford city games the area i lived was a  bradford (park avenue ) haunt so as i grew up i went to both not every week but as often as possible.when avenue went bust it was just city. I moved back to Dunfermline in the late 70s and followed the pars after about 3 seasons i moved back to bradford and followed city again untill the fire. It didnt feel the same after that so i stopped going. After a while i ground hopped a bit and in the mean time avenue reformed as a saturday team so i watched them occasionally but didnt go regularly untill they moved to the ground they play at now and they were playing in the northern premier league.

Ian