Scott Brown Getting His Excuses In Early - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scott Brown Getting His Excuses In Early

DoonTheSlope

I thought we blatantly missed SB at the start of the last campaign, both in a playing sense and in his leadership. The team looked weak without him, he seemed to give everyone a lift when he came back in. He'd also clearly benefited from the break himself.

Coming to end of his career, i'd be happy with him pacing himself to get the most out of him when it really matters over the next 2 seasons. All that matters is qualifying for the Euros, to achieve that we need to use our resources in a sensible and efficient way. An attitude of "if he doesn't play every match, feck him" is self-defeating.

Edited by C Mc

1 hour ago, Kirk said:

He's being a wanker and others in the past have had abuse for the same picking and choosing

Agree. 

Brendan Rogers slating the end of season friendlies is laughable too given that over the past 3-4 years we have always played 1 match instead of the 2 or 3 other teams play and average around 3 less a year than all other home nations. 

Edited by ProudScot

To take another slant on this.

Brown and othewr old hands should be nowhere near the squads for friendlies. We know what he brings along with Darren Fletcher, James Morrison, Craig Gordon, Christophe Berra etc etc etc. Friendlies should be used to blood NEW faces to see if they are up to international football. Ditch Brown for friendlies and blood youngsters - it is better for us, better for Brown and such-like and better for the future players.

24 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Agree. 

Brendan Rogers slating the end of season friendlies is laughable too given that over the past 3-4 years we have always played 1 match instead of the 2 or 3 other teams play and average around 3 less a year than all other home nations. 

The problem is just  with Celtic, they have to play some of their most important games before most clubs are back in full training. If the champions league was a proper tournament for champions this would not be an issue.

Celtic have every right to pull their players out.

And don't try comparing it to a major tournament, it's not

2 hours ago, Kirk said:

He's being a wanker and others in the past have had abuse for the same picking and choosing

Gary McCallister never picked and chose, he was just having a poor vein of form for some yet he got hounded at Parkhead

The fact he put in a MOM performance in a European Final a couple of years later shows the mentality of some of our support

10 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

The problem is just  with Celtic, they have to play some of their most important games before most clubs are back in full training. If the champions league was a proper tournament for champions this would not be an issue.

Celtic have every right to pull their players out.

And don't try comparing it to a major tournament, it's not

Despite my previous comments about how Brown could be rested during the season I totally agree with that.

I also do agree with some of the other points e.g. CC above, that all these guys from Celtic needn't play some friendlies and try blooding other guys.

I think it's Brown's "pick and chose" retiring then coming back, then this which winds people up the most.

I also do think it's mental for the SFA to arrange friendlies in June so far away unless they can agree/expect lots of players to pull out with repercussion.

16 minutes ago, fringo said:

Despite my previous comments about how Brown could be rested during the season I totally agree with that.

I also do agree with some of the other points e.g. CC above, that all these guys from Celtic needn't play some friendlies and try blooding other guys.

I think it's Brown's "pick and chose" retiring then coming back, then this which winds people up the most.

I also do think it's mental for the SFA to arrange friendlies in June so far away unless they can agree/expect lots of players to pull out with repercussion.

Only problem with CC's idea is you really do want your team captain there. All the other friendly dates should have been used properly, but what exactly these two are preparation for nobody knows. Only our all knowing SFA can explain this one

4 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Only problem with CC's idea is you really do want your team captain there. All the other friendly dates should have been used properly, but what exactly these two are preparation for nobody knows. Only our all knowing SFA can explain this one

Not if he'd rather be elsewhere. Besides the same fact remains. Soon Brown will not be part of our plans so we need to find new captain material - that could be tried out in these friendlies.

10 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

For years we've played mostly European teams in preparation for qualifying campaigns, what good have those done us?

13 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

For years we've played mostly European teams in preparation for qualifying campaigns, what good have those done us?

It's not bad  to play European teams in friendlies before qualifiers against European teams (which is what we have in UEFA).

If we qualified for a WC and had teams in our group from South America, Africa etc then it would make sense to play teams from those continents in friendlies too.

28 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Not really, it's a chance to try several captains (but CC beat me to that reply already).

1 minute ago, fringo said:

It's not bad  to play European teams in friendlies before qualifiers against European teams (which is what we have in UEFA).

If we qualified for a WC and had teams in our group from South America, Africa etc then it would make sense to play teams from those continents in friendlies too.

And how has playing European teams in friendlies going into qualifying benefited us in the recent and not so recent past?

17 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

And how has playing European teams in friendlies going into qualifying benefited us in the recent and not so recent past?

And how would playing non European teams benefit us e.g. USA, Nigeria, T&T, Qatar etc. ?

We're just crap really and travelling 1000s of miles in June for friendlies isn't a great idea IMO.

Edited by fringo

2 minutes ago, fringo said:

And how would playing non European teams benefit us e.g. USA, Nigeria, T&T, Qatar etc. ?

We're just crap really and travelling 1000s of miles in June for friendlies isn't a great idea IMO.

The point still stands playing mostly European teams in the past has been of use to no bugger. Something different? Mexico, Costa Rica are top nation unlike the majority of the above teams you mentioned

I keep reading on various platforms about how they never think outside the box. The SFA are damned if they do and damned if they don't

57 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

The point still stands playing mostly European teams in the past has been of use to no bugger. Something different? Mexico, Costa Rica are top nation unlike the majority of the above teams you mentioned

I keep reading on various platforms about how they never think outside the box. The SFA are damned if they do and damned if they don't

I forgot about Brazil and Argentina too. At least most of these games were in the UK and not 5000 miles away during the summer break.

My point still stands that it's completely different if it's warm up games before a WC we were taking part in and about to play teams from the Americas, Africa, Asia etc.

No harm in playing Brazil and Argentina, Nigeria etc for general experience and interest but not away from home during the summer. Could be planned much better.

Rodgers has waded in with his opinion.........apparently it’s good for Scottish football for the Celtic players to get a rest because Celtic have to get to the CL for the benefit of Scottish football of course, we need that money which Celtic earn for the rest of the teams in the league.

he also refused to answer when asked whether he would advise a player not to go.

From reading the news this morning Celtic aren't the only team unhappy about these fixtures.  Does that mean our entire pool of players are now uncommitted prima donnas too?!

The PFA are now having to check if arranging these friendlies even goes against health and safety with how limited time off some players would get!!

It was a ridiculous decision to arrange these games.  Regan doesn't have a fecking clue and needs to go as soon as humanly possible

5 minutes ago, kwhitelaw said:

From reading the news this morning Celtic aren't the only team unhappy about these fixtures.  Does that mean our entire pool of players are now uncommitted prima donnas too?!

The PFA are now having to check if arranging these friendlies even goes against health and safety with how limited time off some players would get!!

It was a ridiculous decision to arrange these games.  Regan doesn't have a fecking clue and needs to go as soon as humanly possible

Who's moaning noo?

2 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Who's moaning noo?

Senior players from Aberdeen, Rangers, Hearts, Hibs etc, basically anyone who's likely to be involved in early European qualifying games.

At this rate we'll be sending the U21s and getting horsed

5 minutes ago, kwhitelaw said:

Senior players from Aberdeen, Rangers, Hearts, Hibs etc, basically anyone who's likely to be involved in early European qualifying games.

At this rate we'll be sending the U21s and getting horsed

Well if they don't want to put themselves out there and give the new manager food for thought then they won't be missed

3 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Aye, we def won't miss our best players.

These friendlies are a jolly and nothing more.

We want players who are fully committed to the cause. It doesn't send a good signal out to a new manager in any walk of like if you mump and moan and pull out of the task in hand

7 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Well if they don't want to put themselves out there and give the new manager food for thought then they won't be missed

Fringe players aye!  But if any new manager needs 2 friendlies to know what Scott Brown, Kieran Tierney etc can bring to the team then we're bloody screwed!!

I also seriously doubt any sane manager would have sanctioned travelling that far during the pre season when our most important players should be resting!  This whole fiasco is so Regan and his cronies can get a paid jolly to a nice hot holiday destination.  It's nothing to do with football.