Bridge link between scotland and ireland - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bridge link between scotland and ireland

I seen on the news earliers on that following boris’s insane idea to bridge the chanel between France  and England, that folk are now speculating whether a bridge between ireland and scotland would be possible or feasible. I have to say the idea of that is very appealing but would it be worth the 15bn estimated to build it? Iam not so sure, i dare say it would be great for business, tourism ect. It will never happen although the idea is very appealing .

There was talk of tunnelling from caithness to orkney back in 2005 but that never got off the ground, it would be great for the islands and their economy had that gone ahead, i am not sure if it had ever been discussed for western isle’s  but it would be great if the far flung islands were connected to the main land however much a pipe dream.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-42772343

28 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I seen on the news earliers on that following boris’s insane idea to bridge the chanel between France  and England, that folk are now speculating whether a bridge between ireland and scotland would be possible or feasible. I have to say the idea of that is very appealing but would it be worth the 15bn estimated to build it? Iam not so sure, i dare say it would be great for business, tourism ect. It will never happen although the idea is very appealing .

There was talk of tunnelling from caithness to orkney back in 2005 but that never got off the ground, it would be great for the islands and their economy had that gone ahead, i am not sure if it had ever been discussed for western isle’s  but it would be great if the far flung islands were connected to the main land however much a pipe dream.

I'd rather see a tunnel, or a causeway/bridge, from Caithness to the Orkney isles.

Don't you think we have enough Pikeys and bigots already...:spin: :lol: :o Okay I know it's not PC to say Pikeys. :wacko:

On a more serious note, it's pie in the sky stuff.

4 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

would you like to buy some magic beans ?

9 hours ago, Newryrep said:

would you like to buy some magic beans ?

Yes very much pie in the sky, however i am a great believer in never ruling anything out because it is over ambitious, we need to have confidence when approaching projects of such magnitude, granted this would be to big a stretch with not enough reward,  

I can't see this bridge being of great economic benefit to Scotland, although it would be of great value to Ireland.  In fact it might lead to investment in Scotland (which would pour in if we became independent and the rUK was outside the EU) diverting to Ireland.  In any case I doubt such a bridge is realistically feasible on cost grounds and engineering grounds.  Ditto the bridge across La Manche - 20 miles across one of the most congested sea lanes in the world?  Never going to happen, especially after Brexit.

The Chinese have managed to built bridges of considerable length, not sure how many of them are across open water or they had the same engineering challenges as over here though.

Sounds like a waste of money. Why the feck is a bridge seen as something that is needed atm.

53 minutes ago, phart said:

The Chinese have managed to built bridges of considerable length, not sure how many of them are across open water or they had the same engineering challenges as over here though.

Quite something, although it is a combination bridge / tunnel. Presumably to allow large ships to cross over it...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong–Zhuhai–Macau_Bridge

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/peoplesdaily/article-4997026/Incredible-footage-shows-world-s-longest-sea-bridge.html

(Flat Earth nutters seem to have infiltrated the comments too)

Can't see this making much sense. The surrounding infrastructure on both sides would have to be upgraded as part of this and would there really be enough traffic to justify something. I'm sure the money could be much better put to use. 

And of course, Westminster would likely interfere as there would be no direct benefit to London. 

48 minutes ago, McDange said:

Can't see this making much sense. The surrounding infrastructure on both sides would have to be upgraded as part of this and would there really be enough traffic to justify something. I'm sure the money could be much better put to use. 

And of course, Westminster would likely interfere as there would be no direct benefit to London. 

You'd certainty need a near motorway standard road from Gretna to the sea, or from Ayr (or both). The Irish side is fine though.

As for traffic numbers, for lorries alone there are around 1000 crossings a day at present. Presumably a direct road crossing would encourage more traffic north that currently goes over the Irish sea from England and Wales.

12 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Yes very much pie in the sky, however i am a great believer in never ruling anything out because it is over ambitious, we need to have confidence when approaching projects of such magnitude, granted this would be to big a stretch with not enough reward,  

a pie of Desparate Dan proportions in a Montana sky, the fact that it was on the front of the News Letter is laughable  , it might as well of been the Daily Sport

Still it make the unionists think people on 'the mainland' give a toss about them so no harm done

Practically this makes sense and interesting idea. 
Similiar bridges have been built between Sweden and Denmark.
Post Brexit we might even end up with Scot-NI-Eire being economically aligned and in the EU ;)

Realistically Westminster would never spend such sums connecting "the northern part of UK" unless there was benefit for them.
HS2 stopping at Leeds proved that....

Edited by Haggis_trap

28 minutes ago, Haggis_trap said:

Post Brexit we might even end up with Scot-NI-Eire being economically aligned and in the EU ;)

Realistically Westminster would never spend such sums connecting "the northern part of UK" unless there was benefit for them.

both sovereign independent countries not a region of the UK and La La land

14 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

I'd rather they put that type of money into lowering or freezing rail prices for a number of years and adding more carriages on peak routes at peak times

As Haggis has said above. London does not give a shit about us. Their plan to continually cut and cut and cut again to grind our country down to dust is what Scotland voted for.

1 hour ago, Haggis_trap said:

It's not just us missing out...

https://www.localgov.co.uk/Transport-spending-disproportionately-benefits-London-research-reveals-/44600