Digs - Hungary v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Digs

dan cake

1 hour ago, captain said:

Metro is very reliable in Budapest, regardless of where you stay you can get where you need to be with the minimum of fuss.

On that note, Metro Line 3 is being renovated. Last time I was there (December) some stations were closed in the evening. They're doing it in sections, so I'm not sure what the progress will be by March. Replacement bus service available.

1 hour ago, wubbs said:

On that note, Metro Line 3 is being renovated. Last time I was there (December) some stations were closed in the evening. They're doing it in sections, so I'm not sure what the progress will be by March. Replacement bus service available.

Oh good. Its the M3 you need to get from city centre out to the stadium. Kilt Walk practice it is!!

• 2 weeks later...

In the Mercure hotel near the National Museum, and just off Raday Street, which is a kind of "Hipster" district of Budapest with outdoor small bars and various Cuban and Latino themed bars, plus a rather charming and small Armenian-owned Scottish bar (Sir Williams)

Edited by wanderer

• Six of us in the Ibis City, seems to be perfect for everything, two mins from half a dozen bars / cafes.  Metro and trams  same. Night out Monday.  Wee wander to the Chain Bridge and Parliament Building Tuesday morning...Afternoon takes care of itself.  I am travelling back via Bratislava, so train at 11am Weds,  a long lie in at last.

Edited by The Bunnet

35 minutes ago, The Bunnet said:
  • Six of us in the Ibis City, seems to be perfect for everything, two mins from half a dozen bars / cafes.  Metro and trams  same. Night out Monday.  Wee wander to the Chain Bridge and Parliament Building Tuesday morning...Afternoon takes care of itself.  I am travelling back via Bratislava, so train at 11am Weds,  a long lie in at last.

You can buy that ticket online via Hungarian railway site.

Just need to enter the confirmation number at the automatic ticket machine to print your ticket :ok:

(Sadly Hungary hasn't embraced the concept of e-tickets yet)

On 14/02/2018 at 12:38 PM, wanderer said:

In the Mercure hotel near the National Museum, and just off Raday Street, which is a kind of "Hipster" district of Budapest with outdoor small bars and various Cuban and Latino themed bars, plus a rather charming and small Armenian-owned Scottish bar (Sir Williams)

I liked that wee street, and I'm no hipster.   Was pretty quiet, but that let us get close to a jazz club for some free entertainment over dinner.

1 hour ago, chewie said:

We have an apartment in 5, just by the river. The place is offering airport transfers for 20 euros per person. Strange it it per person and not per vehicle. What is the airport public transport like in terms of speed and price?

You can get private transfers from the airport to city centre digs for about £60 return if done online, last summer you could anyway. The place offering you is that return? If not that's €200 for a transfers to and from? They're at it

You can get a bus from the airport and it takes you to a train station about 10 minutes away called Kispest then your train depending on where you are it's straight forward enough and only a few quid

Theres meant to be a direct bus now to the city centre

10 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

You can get private transfers from the airport to city centre digs for about £60 return if done online, last summer you could anyway. The place offering you is that return? If not that's €200 for a transfers to and from? They're at it

You can get a bus from the airport and it takes you to a train station about 10 minutes away called Kispest then your train depending on where you are it's straight forward enough and only a few quid

Theres meant to be a direct bus now to the city centre

We're missing the game, having foolishly booked a week in Cyprus with a Budapest weekend tagged on at the end - three days after the match!

However, we've booked Airport transfers and it costing €24 in and €21 back to the airport.

http://www.airporttransfersbudapest.com/