Swedish lakes - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Swedish lakes

ironbrew

Thinking of going to Sweden and Finland in summer. Maybe go to Gothenborg and Stockholm in Sweden and Turku and Helsinki in Finland but would like to spend a few days in quieter place and thought about an island. Any recommendations? Gotland ? (3-hour ferry), Aland? Smaller island? Oland (stopping off on way to Finland)? Just looking for a place with some relaxing walks and maybe somewhere worth visiting with public transport or bike hire. Or would trip to Lapland be better-doesn`t seem to be a train from northern Sweden into Finland. Finally, I know Sweden is very expensive. Is Finland as bad?

I’ve had a couple of holidays in Skellefteå in Northern Sweden (almost on the Lapland border) staying with friends - two of the best trips I’ve ever been on! Both times in August, next time will be a winter trip. Plenty to do adventure wise - quad biking, hiking etc and Storforsen further north is a cracking day trip!

Elk kebabs, saunas in all the gardens, crayfish in August......cracking trip!

We were meant to be going to an island for the night (can’t remember the name of it) but we ran out of time. This island had villas to rent - no electricity, no running water etc. A very popular spot to get away from it all. 

http://visitskelleftea.se/en/

https://www.alvsbyn.se/uppleva-och-gora/friluftsliv-och-natur/naturreservat/storforsen/#

I've been to Aland islands a couple of times - although that was more than 20 years ago. Was good, and an ideal place to stop if going over to Finland.

Also been up to the Artic Circle in Finland (Pello) - excellent to see the midnight sun.