Senior squad. Do you stay up.. - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Senior squad. Do you stay up..

Big Ramy 1314

6 hours ago, aaid said:

As regards playing for the A squad while still eligible for the U21s, or indeed any age group, Belgium have a rule that when a player steps up an age level, say a U16 player plays for the U18s, then they don't step back down again.   They reckon this is one of the factors that's seen them bring through a lot of talent in recent years.  I think it's something we should adopt.

I actually quite like this idea assuming that there's a lot of competition for spaces in the youth teams... What's the current situation with our youth teams? Is there a lot of competition/rotation or do we pretty much have squads that pick themselves?

20 hours ago, andyD said:

As long as you're young enough you can be called into any youth side. That's the only limitation I'm aware of (aside from national eligibility).

So as an extreme example, we could cap Karamoko Dembele in out next senior match, then he could go play for the under 16s.

He's English is he not? I get we could cap him because he went to school here but would that not break the gentlemen's agreement we have with the English, Irish and Welsh?