6 Nations - Who’s going? - Page 5 - Rugby - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

6 Nations - Who’s going?

Bristolhibby

1 hour ago, Pool Q said:

Not with penalty kicks to touch. There is no real benefit to taking a risk with those. Missing one can cost the team possession and 40-50 metres of territory. Or the match, as Horne’s missed kick against Italy did a few seasons back, as Biffet rightly points out.

Exactly. Knowing when to take risks and when not to is one of the main skills.

Just reading on the BBC website about how the team believed the hype and thought all they had to do was turn up to beat Wales. Not encouraging, if professional players can be swayed by that sort of stuff. I have a slight dread about this weekend's game.

13 hours ago, jailender said:

Just reading on the BBC website about how the team believed the hype and thought all they had to do was turn up to beat Wales. Not encouraging, if professional players can be swayed by that sort of stuff. I have a slight dread about this weekend's game.

It happens in sport all the time, teams or an individual sportsperson lose focus and become complacent. I, not dreading the game on Sunday for two reasons.

1. We are a much better side at Murrayfield.

2. Despite the above, the match at twickenham was bizarre, we lost a player due to poor discipline. We lost Hogg and his replacement in the first ten minutes.

im not expecting a win but I’m not dreading it, I think we will run them close but they will have enough to overcome us late on.

On 2/20/2018 at 11:50 AM, Pool Q said:

Not with penalty kicks to touch. There is no real benefit to taking a risk with those. Missing one can cost the team possession and 40-50 metres of territory. Or the match, as Horne’s missed kick against Italy did a few seasons back, as Biffet rightly points out.

With some kicks to touch risks have to be taken.  That said, good game management and knowing when not to take risk is the skill.

21 hours ago, jailender said:

Read a Jim Hamilton Tweet saying the English Saracens players always thought Scotland were terrible and they just had to turn up to win but this year is different.

I think it will be close but we'll just lose out.  I also don't think it will be pretty - but that's Jones.

Edited by SMcoolJ

Went to Myreside last night as much as an excuse for a couple of pints as anything. Don't think anyone was expecting a Scotland win, but they were superb. England, as usual, were a bigger, physical team, but Scotland played with a huge amount of heart and plenty of skill. Myreside was bouncing at the end, which are words you don't hear very often. Great state to the weekend.

Just walked past a telly and it was showing an england player standing during a break of play. Man that guy looked so doped up it was unreal he had shoulders and traps like Brock Lesnar. Even through the shirt his traps were up at his ears, holy shit that was a surprise.

8 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

What a great win. Better than England in every area. If only we had turned up in Cardiff.

That seems to be the thing this year good at home not so much away fingers crossed for the last 2 games we are still in this although Ireland look good 

Edited by jcs

What a performance. Nerve wracking as hell in the 2nd half,  but to be fair, they managed the game brilliantly without making too many errors. 

Victories like today make you so proud. 

Working and living in the English rugby heartland will give me a lot of pleasure on Monday morning. 😀

It's a real pity that Scotland failed so dismally in Wales - was always going to be hard especially with the amount of pressure on Scotland being the "Dark Horse" and not to be underestimated. Any other given time, Wales would have seen this as a walkover, and may have got caught out. The game was a shocker, but does not represent where Scotland are in terms of World Rugby. Wales seriously rattled us in the first half, read our game, and we had no comeback or alternative strategy - the game was Boys against Men. Sad to watch, Scotland have proved they are better than this.

We are punching above our weight in this arena. I was confident from the start of the 2nd half that Scotland had this against France, they just seemed to be spoiling for it, and as the clock ticked, I could see the control and just felt relaxed, this was our game. France appeared tired, disjointed and rattled.

I reckoned we would beat England, but without taking points off Wales in the first game, this going to be a very close.

I always thought Ireland would be the toughest game for us.