6 Nations - Who’s going? - Page 4 - Rugby - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

6 Nations - Who’s going?

Bristolhibby

7 hours ago, Bristolhibby said:

This. It harks back to the old days, so touring teams only had to bring one kit. The home team obviously has both kits at their disposal.

Italy will be playing in white against us in Rome next month, and we were in white last year when they came to Murrayfield.

Habi g France and Italy at home in opposite years mean we unlike Ireland and England, actually use our change strip every year.

J

Exactly correct, it was from the old days of touring teams. In rugby you have a change kit or an alternate kit, not an away kit.

Watched first half in pub and recorded second half to watch after the Dons game.  After seeing our performance in first half wasn't expecting much so just looked a final score before getting home.  Was pleasantly surprised by the result but noticed it was all penalties.  Despite that, watched second half at home and was again pleasantly surprised by some of the rugby Scotland played.  Unlucky not to score a try or two in second half. We appear to be quite a fit team and France couldn't cope with it hence the penalties. 

Agree with some of the comment above about Russell, however, starting Price and Laidlaw against England is an absolute no go!  Russell can at least tackle.  Same team for me.....   

Having watched it again Russell was a bit of an enigma

Kicking from hand was pish

Missed tackle on Teddy Thomas for the first try was hideous

Everything else was actually pretty good. Passing, bringing others I to the game, decision making. In particular the way he completely committed the outside defender for Maitlands try was excellent. 

Has to start v England, there's not even a conversation to be had imo. 

2 hours ago, biffer said:

Having watched it again Russell was a bit of an enigma

Kicking from hand was pish

Missed tackle on Teddy Thomas for the first try was hideous

Everything else was actually pretty good. Passing, bringing others I to the game, decision making. In particular the way he completely committed the outside defender for Maitlands try was excellent. 

Has to start v England, there's not even a conversation to be had imo. 

I'd forgotten about that missed tackle. I'm not sure he even tried to tackle him?

What's with that wee shimmie he sometimes does with his hands before passing the ball? What's all that about? Does he really think that will confuse the opposition more than his own players? To me, that's just showboating. He should just stick to the basics and do the basics well.

He just gives me the impression that he thinks he is better than he is. It's the same with his penalties to touch. Why does he try to squeeze out that extra 5 yards when it risks giving the ball back to the opposition? Maybe we should let Hogg take the kicks to touch?

I would like to see Horne given a chance at stand off. Maybe not for the England game though.

Rumours of WP being back for the England game. 

In terms of the alternate jersey, I was always told the tradition was due to showing courtesy as hosts towards your visitors, plus a bit of old-fashioned practicality about not having to travel with two shirts.

I do mind that my first junior team shirt was red on one side and blue on the other!

Edited by Duncan Blackheart

16 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I'd forgotten about that missed tackle. I'm not sure he even tried to tackle him?

What's with that wee shimmie he sometimes does with his hands before passing the ball? What's all that about? Does he really think that will confuse the opposition more than his own players? To me, that's just showboating. He should just stick to the basics and do the basics well.

He just gives me the impression that he thinks he is better than he is. It's the same with his penalties to touch. Why does he try to squeeze out that extra 5 yards when it risks giving the ball back to the opposition? Maybe we should let Hogg take the kicks to touch?

I would like to see Horne given a chance at stand off. Maybe not for the England game though.

Horne isn't good enough at 10. He's a stand in fly half at best. Decent at 12 (although I worry about his tackling) and had his best game for Scotland last week. 

Russell is what he is. His unpredictability is what makes his game and if you take the gallus out of him then you lose most of the things that make him good. Unfortunately that means he'll have bad games too. Still head and shoulders above anyone else we have. 

I'm told Hogg doesn't take kicks from hand to protect his hamstrings. 

Edited by biffer

50 minutes ago, biffer said:

Horne isn't good enough at 10. He's a stand in fly half at best. Decent at 12 (although I worry about his tackling) and had his best game for Scotland last week. 

Russell is what he is. His unpredictability is what makes his game and if you take the gallus out of him then you lose most of the things that make him good. Unfortunately that means he'll have bad games too. Still head and shoulders above anyone else we have. 

Cheers, that all makes sense.:ok: I just hope he is saving his best for the next game. If he could just stop missing his kicks to touch it would be a huge bonus. Top players shouldn't be missing those kicks. 

Peter Horne is a far better 10 than Laidlaw, comfortably the best option we have after Russell. Putting Laidlaw there made sense in the context of getting Price on without sacrificing either Laidlaw’s kicking or game management. It surprised the players (all the training drills had been based around Horne going to 10 if Russell went off) and was a justifiable gamble as France had gone into headless chicken mode. England will massacre us if Laidlaw ends up there, Jones will be looking for it and just tell their players to run over the top of him. Attention to detail and discipline the French teams too often lack. Russell is a quality player who has had a couple of iffy games, hopefully he’ll be back to his best next week. They should tell him they’ll shoot his dog if he misses any penalty kicks to touch.

1 hour ago, Pool Q said:

Peter Horne is a far better 10 than Laidlaw, comfortably the best option we have after Russell. Putting Laidlaw there made sense in the context of getting Price on without sacrificing either Laidlaw’s kicking or game management. It surprised the players (all the training drills had been based around Horne going to 10 if Russell went off) and was a justifiable gamble as France had gone into headless chicken mode. England will massacre us if Laidlaw ends up there, Jones will be looking for it and just tell their players to run over the top of him. Attention to detail and discipline the French teams too often lack. Russell is a quality player who has had a couple of iffy games, hopefully he’ll be back to his best next week. They should tell him they’ll shoot his dog if he misses any penalty kicks to touch.

Believe me, I don't particularly want Laidlaw at 10 either. It made a lot of sense on Sunday past though. Anyone else is a massive step down from Russell.

Horne's outings at 10 for Scotland haven't been particularly good - he's only started there twice; v Fiji last summer - less said about that game the better and v Italy in 2015 Six Nations - poor game all round and a missed kick to touch at the death cost us the match. He's fine to cover 10 when closing a game out, but not good enough to start there (at international level).

Edited by biffer

1 hour ago, biffer said:

Believe me, I don't particularly want Laidlaw at 10 either. It made a lot of sense on Sunday past though. Anyone else is a massive step down from Russell.

Horne's outings at 10 for Scotland haven't been particularly good - he's only started there twice; v Fiji last summer - less said about that game the better and v Italy in 2015 Six Nations - poor game all round and a missed kick to touch at the death cost us the match. He's fine to cover 10 when closing a game out, but not good enough to start there (at international level).

The entire team had an off day against Fiji (Horne included). The missed kick for touch against Italy was unforgivable, but it’s wrong to say he was poor all round. And I’d cite the 2016 game against France at Murrayfield against France, when he cane in after 5 minutes with the score at something like 10-0, and then played a key role in turning things round for a Scotland win. Should have started at 10 the following week in Dublin but Cotter came out with the ‘12 who can play a bit of 10’ guff, and selected Weir to start who was (not surprisingly) pretty hopeless. The step down from Russell to anyone we have is huge, I doubt Townsend will risk Laidlaw at 10 against England or Ireland.

6 minutes ago, Pool Q said:

The entire team had an off day against Fiji (Horne included). The missed kick for touch against Italy was unforgivable, but it’s wrong to say he was poor all round. And I’d cite the 2016 game against France at Murrayfield against France, when he cane in after 5 minutes with the score at something like 10-0, and then played a key role in turning things round for a Scotland win. Should have started at 10 the following week in Dublin but Cotter came out with the ‘12 who can play a bit of 10’ guff, and selected Weir to start who was (not surprisingly) pretty hopeless. The step down from Russell to anyone we have is huge, I doubt Townsend will risk Laidlaw at 10 against England or Ireland.

Like I say, I'm not against him playing at 12, although I'm still nervous about his defence given the turnstile routine against Australia in 2016. I just get a bit annoyed when people say 'give Horne a shot at 10 and see how he does' - we've done that twice and the team was absolutely stinking with him in the pivotal position.

Russell to start with England not knowing which way we might go if Russell goes off is a good position to be in. I fully expect the English locks to target Russell with a few hits which are pretty late - which is pretty ineffective as he will just laugh at them. No reason why Horne shouldn't take the kicks to touch if he starts at 12. 

Edited by biffer

3 hours ago, biffer said:

Like I say, I'm not against him playing at 12, although I'm still nervous about his defence given the turnstile routine against Australia in 2016. I just get a bit annoyed when people say 'give Horne a shot at 10 and see how he does' - we've done that twice and the team was absolutely stinking with him in the pivotal position.

Russell to start with England not knowing which way we might go if Russell goes off is a good position to be in. I fully expect the English locks to target Russell with a few hits which are pretty late - which is pretty ineffective as he will just laugh at them. No reason why Horne shouldn't take the kicks to touch if he starts at 12. 

Who is it that is saying ‘give Horne a shot at 10 and see how he does?’ 

33 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

That was me. But more out of frustration about Russell than anything else. He needs a good boot up the erse. 

Fair enough. I’d keep the faith in Russell, he’s as good as we have had in a while.

11 hours ago, Pool Q said:

I never get the missing touch (speaking as an old Prop).

Just make touch! I’d rather 10 yards less but at least have a lineout. 

Nothinc more demoralising to the pack than not making touch.

J

On 2/16/2018 at 7:23 AM, biffer said:

Interesting. Is that after he pulled his hamstring in the warmup before the last Australia game?

On 2/16/2018 at 9:29 PM, Bristolhibby said:

I never get the missing touch (speaking as an old Prop).

Just make touch! I’d rather 10 yards less but at least have a lineout. 

Nothinc more demoralising to the pack than not making touch.

J

Aye, i think he did it twice against France (or against Wales maybe)? I love Russell as he's a former Ayr player, but god he can be frustrating. I wouldn't mind him being dropped, but i'm no expert - so if he's far better than any available replacement then, aye, give him a chance to redeem himself.

14 hours ago, Dave78 said:

Interesting. Is that after he pulled his hamstring in the warmup before the last Australia game?

Aye, i think he did it twice against France (or against Wales maybe)? I love Russell as he's a former Ayr player, but god he can be frustrating. I wouldn't mind him being dropped, but i'm no expert - so if he's far better than any available replacement then, aye, give him a chance to redeem himself.

No, he’s been like that for a while. It was a hip problem before the Oz game. 

Russell is head and shoulders above any other option atm.

On 2/15/2018 at 3:12 PM, Orraloon said:

Exactly the sort of c0cky arrogance i want from a stand off.  Can look daft when it doesn't come off but game changing when it does.

Not with penalty kicks to touch. There is no real benefit to taking a risk with those. Missing one can cost the team possession and 40-50 metres of territory. Or the match, as Horne’s missed kick against Italy did a few seasons back, as Biffet rightly points out.