6 Nations - Who’s going? - Page 3 - Rugby - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

6 Nations - Who’s going?

Bristolhibby

Does anyone on here know much about Scotland’s youngsters? I don’t know enough about rugby to know more than Scotland’s national team. I’ve started watching Glasgow and Edinburgh on tv as I start to lean more towards rugby than football but that’s it, hopefully get up to a couple of Glasgow matches next year.

The under 20s have taken two hammerings so far in this years 6N, does the future look bleak or is is simply down to lack of depth across the board for us?

i get the impression France and England have huge levels of funding available to them whilst we have very little.

On 10/02/2018 at 8:02 AM, vanderark14 said:

Does anyone on here know much about Scotland’s youngsters? I don’t know enough about rugby to know more than Scotland’s national team. I’ve started watching Glasgow and Edinburgh on tv as I start to lean more towards rugby than football but that’s it, hopefully get up to a couple of Glasgow matches next year.

The under 20s have taken two hammerings so far in this years 6N, does the future look bleak or is is simply down to lack of depth across the board for us?

i get the impression France and England have huge levels of funding available to them whilst we have very little.

We almost always struggle at age group level. I’ve been to countless Schools, U18 and U20 games over the years watching my nephews, wins are a pretty rare thing. Remember a game in France from about , our U18s took a hell of a hammering from France. Certainly  up to U18 level the other teams are usually noticeably bigger than our lads. Men against boys really. Also saw Scotland Scools  lose to North Yorkshire schools once. Was told afterwards there were more registered rugby players at that age group in North Yorkshire than the whole of Scotland. That’s just North Yorkshire mind. The lack of depth has always been an issue of for us, there’s a reason why we have so many players from England or the Southern Hemisphere with Scottish grannies in and around the squad, which in part helps narrow the gap between us and others. 

On 10/02/2018 at 8:02 AM, vanderark14 said:

As mentioned above, we are usually a bit smaller at that level for whatever reason, probably just numbers, but the gap has closed a bit recently. Perhaps that’s the effect of the academies they have brought in.

Also though, this year a lot of our under 20s are a year younger than their opponents. I’d expect the gap to close a little in the U20s World Cup in the summer (especially if Matt Fagerson joins the squad) and by this time next year we’ll be more competitive.

5 hours ago, Pool Q said:

We almost always struggle at age group level. I’ve been to countless Schools, U18 and U20 games over the years watching my nephews, wins are a pretty rare thing. Remember a game in France from about , our U18s took a hell of a hammering from France. Certainly  up to U18 level the other teams are usually noticeably bigger than our lads. Men against boys really. Also saw Scotland Scools  lose to North Yorkshire schools once. Was told afterwards there were more registered rugby players at that age group in North Yorkshire than the whole of Scotland. That’s just North Yorkshire mind. The lack of depth has always been an issue of for us, there’s a reason why we have so many players from England or the Southern Hemisphere with Scottish grannies in and around the squad, which in part helps narrow the gap between us and others. 

2 hours ago, Duncan Blackheart said:

As mentioned above, we are usually a bit smaller at that level for whatever reason, probably just numbers, but the gap has closed a bit recently. Perhaps that’s the effect of the academies they have brought in.

Also though, this year a lot of our under 20s are a year younger than their opponents. I’d expect the gap to close a little in the U20s World Cup in the summer (especially if Matt Fagerson joins the squad) and by this time next year we’ll be more competitive.

Thanks for the replies gents

terrible star5 against France :banghead:

15 minutes ago, bonzo said:

Russell is doing my nut in, everything he is trying is over ambitious. 

A couple of his kicks have been dreadful at this level. Simply gifting possession straight back to the French.

Only consolation after that sloppy, unfocused shitshow is we are still well in this game.

1 minute ago, Hendricks said:

A couple of his kicks have been dreadful at this level. Simply gifting possession straight back to the French.

Only consolation after that sloppy, unfocused shitshow is we are still well in this game.

•  

They also got a huge slice of luck with their 2nd try

11 hours ago, Mitre said:

Eddie Jones really is an unlikable twat

He’s a complete bawbag

Very easy to shrug off the shocker of a TMO decision when you’ve benefited from it and quite possibly won the game as a direct result. I’d love to have seen his reaction had it been the other way about.

An absolute cunt of a man.

1 hour ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Never seen it, I was listening to paint dry

Haha, another rugby weekend and another comment from a hater of the game.

Bizarre really, not even subtle trolling.

Anyway, I was over the moon with the result. A win was a win.

Bring on the English!

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

4 hours ago, bonzo said:

Russell is doing my nut in, everything he is trying is over ambitious. 

He needs to be dropped for the next game. He just seems to think he is better than he really is. He's been a liability in the first two games. Scotland can't afford the luxury of somebody who gives the ball back the opposition as easily as he does.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

He needs to be dropped for the next game. He just seems to think he is better than he really is. He's been a liability in the first two games. Scotland can't afford the luxury of somebody who gives the ball back the opposition as easily as he does.

I think he needs to be dropped as well, Price at 9 and Laidlaw at 10 for the England game. 

3 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Genuine question from a non rugby fan. Why did Scotland wear an away strip at home?

I heard the tradition is that way around, such that if strips clash, then the away team don't have to drive all the way home to find replacements.  

4 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

I heard the tradition is that way around, such that if strips clash, then the away team don't have to drive all the way home to find replacements.  

This. It harks back to the old days, so touring teams only had to bring one kit. The home team obviously has both kits at their disposal.

Italy will be playing in white against us in Rome next month, and we were in white last year when they came to Murrayfield.

Habi g France and Italy at home in opposite years mean we unlike Ireland and England, actually use our change strip every year.

J