The all new Irn Bru - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The all new Irn Bru

6 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

You are just naturally synchronised with nature and your agriculturally empathetic symbiotic relationship with your earth mother ensures that you produce copious amounts of fertiliser.

I smell shite... :D

2 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Anyway if I’m on your timeline tonight what’s the betting steer for Celtics v Timberwolves ?

Cannae stick basketba’. I’m waiting on the Cubs season starting at the end of March.

On 1/4/2018 at 11:43 PM, Eisegerwind said:

Just watched the 'healthiest tribe in Africa' on TV horsing down pure honey. That'll be because we're evolved to like sugar because it's good for us. Nothing wrong with sugary drinks in moderation.

I'll give the new stuff a go, obviously from a glass bottle only.

I have necked around 6 kg of honey this last 4-5 months - never use Sugar now - get a 3kg jar for around 12 quid here, straight from the hives (Western Cape)

4 hours ago, euan2020 said:

I have necked around 6 kg of honey this last 4-5 months - never use Sugar now - get a 3kg jar for around 12 quid here, straight from the hives (Western Cape)

That's about 40 to 50 grams per day which isn't too bad.  Honey is about 25% water so that brings you down to about 30 to 37.5 grams of sugars. 

With Irn Bru and other fizzy, sugary, pish drinks, folk are getting 52 grams of sugar from one wee 500 ml  bottle. And most folk don't even realise how much they are consuming. 

The RDA for free sugar intake is 30 grams.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

That's about 40 to 50 grams per day which isn't too bad.  Honey is about 25% water so that brings you down to about 30 to 37.5 grams of sugars. 

With Irn Bru and other fizzy, sugary, pish drinks, folk are getting 52 grams of sugar from one wee 500 ml  bottle. And most folk don't even realise how much they are consuming. 

Yes they are fizzy,sugary, pish, nobody is kidding themselves that they are some sort of 'health food' (whatever that is).  I don't know  why you'd class a 500ml bottle as 'wee'. I would've thought that most people will maybe have a 330ml can with a meal at most, probably not everday and maybe only as a bit of a treat occasionaly., that's 30 grams of free sugar, OK going by the RDA. I'm sure the RDA for lots of other things would make most peoples eyes pop.

Edited by Eisegerwind

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

is honey not a free pass since natural  ? I though processed sugar was more the issue ? 

1 minute ago, euan2020 said:

is honey not a free pass since natural  ? I though processed sugar was more the issue ? 

No it's basically just glucose and frutose, same as sugar. I would've thought that honey in jars has been processed unless they've trained bees to use jars. Last time I looked sugar cane and sugar beet were 'natural'.

17 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

No it's basically just glucose and frutose, same as sugar. I would've thought that honey in jars has been processed unless they've trained bees to use jars. Last time I looked sugar cane and sugar beet were 'natural'.

I think the honey is possibly heated to release it from the comb, but what  i am buying is "raw" honey straight from the bee keeper - funny when you start reading honey labels that jars  of honey in shops have mixture of Zambia, China, South Africa in it, so guys are blending it 

I think you missed my point about processed

Maybe i am missing your point but sugar is processed from the Sugar Cane, so husk etc weeded out, molasses created & the refined sugar created - Now leading on from this I been drinking recently agricultrual rum which is made from the raw sugar, rather than the molasses by product . 

1 hour ago, Eisegerwind said:

Yes they are fizzy,sugary, pish, nobody is kidding themselves that they are some sort of 'health food' (whatever that is).  I don't know  why you'd class a 500ml bottle as 'wee'. I would've thought that most people will maybe have a 330ml can with a meal at most, probably not everday and maybe only as a bit of a treat occasionaly., that's 30 grams of free sugar, OK going by the RDA. I'm sure the RDA for lots of other things would make most peoples eyes pop.

I think most folk (especially the ones who like glass bottles) would regard the standard size to be 700 ml? The point is though that most folk just don't realise how much sugar is in their fizzy drinks. Most folk are surprised when they find out that a 330 ml can contains the equivalent of about 8.5 sugar lumps. Imagine trying to dissolve that amount of sugar in a mug of tea.

Edited by Orraloon

1 hour ago, euan2020 said:

There are thought to be some health benefits to using honey instead of sugar. But it's still got loads of sugars. But the fact that it's usually about 25% water means that folk tend to get less sugars because they tend to measure it in teaspoonfuls and use about the same amount of honey as they would sugar. So they get 25% less. Depending on the type honey, you get other good stuff like vitamins and minerals and antioxidants. Overall, I would say honey is better for you than processed sugar but just remember you are still eating a lot of sugars. Everything in moderation.:ok:

See if people were to stop drinking it for a few weeks then they'll realise how vile the stuff actually is

I used to drink cans and cans of Coke/Pepsi everyday then got told that the caffeine was most probably the cause of kidney stones I had so I stopped altogether. A few weeks later I had a can of Coke and it was disgusting

You'll lose a tone of wicht aswell 

44 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I think most folk (especially the ones who like glass bottles) would regard the standard size to be 700 ml? The point is though that most folk just don't realise how much sugar is in their fizzy drinks. Most folk are surprised when they find out that a 330 ml can contains the equivalent of about 8.5 sugar lumps. Imagine trying to dissolve that amount of sugar in a mug of tea.

So in the 'olden days' when we still drank cups of tea. two sugars was pretty much standard, 3 or 4 wouldnt have been unusual, a cup being around 150ml. At least a couple of cups of tea with every meal and numerous cups throughout the day, easy 10 cups a day minimum 60 grams of sugar.When I was a child a 750ml bottle of Bru would be shared amongst 2 or 3 every lunchtime at school, backwash and all.

12 hours ago, Eisegerwind said:

This month apparently, just have to look out for the label change I guess, from 10.3mg per 100ml to 4.7mg per 100ml. Although no doubt the shit taste will give it away.

You're out by a factor of 1000. It's grams not milligrams. Are you a marketing man for the drinks industry?;)

Edited by Orraloon