Only An Excuse (not as funny as it used to be) - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Only An Excuse (not as funny as it used to be)

He has effective given up making the show fully on football, as there was maybe a dozen or Football sketches throughout the whole show.

The "Rangers pound coin" advert cracked a smile, with probably the Ross Kemp in Barlinne prison the funniest sketch.

rest was either same old (Sean the Celtic fan getting his 1967 ticket valued you could see coming a mile away, and the vapour flute band felt really forced) or just poor stuff (the Dog Whisperer, North Korea and Salmond on RT).

its becomes BBC Scotland tradition, but it's well past needing to be put out its misery and maybe a special Still Game in its place

Just watched it on iplayer. No idea how they managed it but it was an even bigger load of turgid p*sh than last year.  Who in the name of fck decides to let this garbage go to air?  No idea what was the worst - the binman, the botox thing, Kenny Dalglish, that Cheapl nonsense, North Korea?  Imagine getting all dressed up for a sketch, spouting sh*te like that to camera, then getting out of costume thinking "job well done".  FFS.

BBC1 "Scotland" in the run up to the bells was just one big "Fuck You" from Donalda

Picking up anti SNP Brit Nat Muriel Gray from relative obscurity was the piece de resistance

11 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

BBC1 "Scotland" in the run up to the bells was just one big "Fuck You" from Donalda

Picking up anti SNP Brit Nat Muriel Gray from relative obscurity was the piece de resistance

Tin bunnet aff ma man. The program was utter sh!te but hardly a deliberate attempt to undermine the case for Scottish independence.

13 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Tin bunnet aff ma man. The program was utter sh!te but hardly a deliberate attempt to undermine the case for Scottish independence.

DSiF5ylW0AICWsl.jpg

59 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

DSiF5ylW0AICWsl.jpg

Looked more like his Johann Lamont. Leave it to Tracey Ullman would be my advice.

However Sturgeon and Salmond are the most prominent Scottish politicians of the past decade, if programs like that want to take the piss out of them then fair enough. Spitting Image used to rip Thatcher a new one every week yet she kept winning elections.

10 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Looked more like his Johann Lamont. Leave it to Tracey Ullman would be my advice.

However Sturgeon and Salmond are the most prominent Scottish politicians of the past decade, if programs like that want to take the piss out of them then fair enough. Spitting Image used to rip Thatcher a new one every week yet she kept winning elections.

Exactly, nothing at all wrong with a bit of satire and ripping the pish out of politicians.  The only thing is that it should be either insightful and cutting or funny - preferably both - but sadly this was neither. 

The opening scene with the Paisley bid for City of Culture raised a chuckle.  2 scenes later and they reused a whole chunk of the same dialogue in the awful Kim Jong Un sketch ("mental squad" etc).  2 things about it astonish me.  1. It keeps getting commissioned despite the quality dropping year on year.  2.  I keep on bloody watching it!! (which probably goes some way to explaining 1).

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

The opening scene with the Paisley bid for City of Culture raised a chuckle.  2 scenes later and they reused a whole chunk of the same dialogue in the awful Kim Jong Un sketch ("mental squad" etc).  2 things about it astonish me.  1. It keeps getting commissioned despite the quality dropping year on year.  2.  I keep on bloody watching it!! (which probably goes some way to explaining 1).

I noticed in the end credits there were about a dozen scriptwriters!  I didn't see any names I recognised right enough, maybe they'd put a request out to schoolkids to contribute?

Back in the 90s I got invited to a screening of OAE at the old BBC studios where they would record the laughter track and then pick the sketches that got the best response (this was while the programme was still slightly credible, Alistair McGowan was in it too). About half the material never made it to the broadcast, I'd hate to see what was left out from the 2017 edition!

7 hours ago, Toepoke said:

I noticed in the end credits there were about a dozen scriptwriters!  I didn't see any names I recognised right enough, maybe they'd put a request out to schoolkids to contribute?

chewin' the fat did this by going around the Uni's and comedy clubs asking aspiring writers to send in material.

My old English teacher loved telling us how him and his flat mate sent in loads of sketches and got a "thanks, but no thanks" letter, yet said they loved their "foul mouthed fishermen" sketches and would like to use them in the show.

I watched the NFL all evening and ignored the dross BBC Scotland put out. Unsure why everyone seemed to watch it, despite the fact they all knew it'd be complete excrement? 

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

I watched the NFL all evening and ignored the dross BBC Scotland put out. Unsure why everyone seemed to watch it, despite the fact they all knew it'd be complete excrement? 

It’s tradition.

:lol:

Watched the bells on bbc and my first thought was that the guy playing the accordion had the same shirt on last year. Or maybe it was the same show...

1 hour ago, ger intae them said:

... dunno, maybe because they were sure the yank sport would be even more excrementy? Just guessing.

True, I don’t get American Football at all, I’d rather watch the last 5 OAE back to back than that pish.

:lol:

1 hour ago, ger intae them said:

... dunno, maybe because they were sure the yank sport would be even more excrementy? Just guessing.

I wasn't advocating watching the NFL for those who don't like it. I was advocating not watching something you knew would be complete pish. 

3 hours ago, Parklife said:

I avoided BBC by watching Harry Potter, it was the wifes choice...............honestly :whistling:

I was also sleeping long before midnight only to be woken by the bastard fireworks.:banghead:

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

I wasn't advocating watching the NFL for those who don't like it. I was advocating not watching something you knew would be complete pish. 

Hogmanay wouldn't be the same without having a good whinge about how pish the TV is. Whether you actually watch it or not is irrelevant. It's the whinging that matters. Some traditions are important enough to need to be kept alive.