SFA Performance Schools - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

SFA Performance Schools

Alan

10 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Good stuff. I wonder if we’ll see a Gilmour, Cochrane central pairing in the future. 

We might. But only when they have played 10 years of fitba' at club level and our dinosaur wanks are still calling them young laddies.

17 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

“We are going to show our faith in the kids”

Shortly before handing debuts to a couple of 27 year olds 

Aye, we have to be the worst bloody country for that. Other countries bleed youngsters in their teens so that by their mid twenties they are up to speed. Whereas we are still wondering why we don’t have players with skills when they reach prime.

11 hours ago, Ormond said:

Aye, we have to be the worst bloody country for that. Other countries bleed youngsters in their teens so that by their mid twenties they are up to speed. Whereas we are still wondering why we don’t have players with skills when they reach prime.

I'm fed up sounding like a broken record on this subject, however.................I'm ready to be proved wrong as I can't be arsed actually checking for current 'proof', but if we have teenagers playing for U23's or even Champions League Youth level for EPL big clubs, Like Hamilton, Gilmour, Sammut........why are we not having them at least along for involvement in the senior squad, when plenty other countries do it ? I'm fed up of teenagers from Georgia, Greece, Iceland etc getting international caps when our young guys don't get a sniff. Surely a small country like us needs to be the same as other small countries - if you have a young player good enough for Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal's set up then they are more worthy of taking a punt on than a journeyman stop-gap.

11 hours ago, Ormond said:

Now now, our young uns must "serve their apprenticeship" until they are 25 which should be about right. And they must wait their turn for their debut as so and so has turned up to so many friendlies without playing, we must give him a game instead just to be nice.

I know someone who has attended coaching lectures at that Largs weekend piss up coaching setup the SFA run. They are taught only to use teenage players as a last resort and to prioritise experienced players over talented youngsters as it "builds a culture of respect, keeps young players grounded and makes leaders out of the older players".

That is the kind of 1950's thinking we are up against here. No wonder we don't qualify for stuff anymore.

48 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

I'm fed up sounding like a broken record on this subject, however.................I'm ready to be proved wrong as I can't be arsed actually checking for current 'proof', but if we have teenagers playing for U23's or even Champions League Youth level for EPL big clubs, Like Hamilton, Gilmour, Sammut........why are we not having them at least along for involvement in the senior squad, when plenty other countries do it ? I'm fed up of teenagers from Georgia, Greece, Iceland etc getting international caps when our young guys don't get a sniff. Surely a small country like us needs to be the same as other small countries - if you have a young player good enough for Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal's set up then they are more worthy of taking a punt on than a journeyman stop-gap.

There’s a balance to be struck. You can’t have players who’ve never played a first team game being selected for the Scotland squad. Greater than 10 games, if at a very top club, fine, or half a season of games on loan at a decent club.