EPL players price tags? - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

EPL players price tags?

11 hours ago, Parklife said:

Yeah, i agree the fee was huge but they legitimately believed that they were buying the best striker in Europe. I'm just trying to put it in to context and think it's a bit unfair to start a thread with mentions of Carroll, Fellaini and Sigurdsson and then mention truly world class players like Di Maria, Torres, Schevchenko and Veron. 

Torres was very popular at Stamford Bridge.  The "problem" was that at Liverpool they played a system that suited his game whereas the system at Chelsea meant he had adapt his game.  His work rate and "leading the line" - which was needed to fit into that team - was actually excellent - all the stuff you see if you go to the games but gets missed on highlights.   He also won the Champions League and Europa League while at Chelsea, so he didn't do that bad - and did a lit better than if he'd stayed at Liverpool.

He was arguably overpriced at £50 million but I'd say that the £35 million Liverpool payed for Carroll as a result was an even bigger waste of money.

In terms of paying over the odds for a shite forward, he doesn't even come close to Chris Sutton, Tony Cascarino or even Adrian Mutu. 

The price tags down there are vastly inflated but so is the prize money at stake these days. If you are Swansea chairman and come January you are staring relegation in the face. You need goals, Calum Wilson gets signed from Bournemouth at 40 mill. Scores 12 goals and keeps them up. Is he worth 40 mill? Absolutely, even double that. 

Would he be worth 40 million to Hamburg in the same scenario? Absolutely not.

7 hours ago, ibelieve!!! said:

Saw something on twitter earlier saying how Man City were a much better team this year compared to last without the squad changing much.

They spent over £150 million!! How can that not be changing much?

Aye, apparently it is all the work Pep has been doing over the last couple of season - instilling his ethos on the squad that has them playing this way, and definitely not the £400 million he has spent on players....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 19/12/2017 at 3:40 PM, The Black Bra said:

£35 million for Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain....

He belongs in the same category of players as Barkley, Wilshire and Henderson, completely bang average players who.occasionaly put in a good game. 

4 hours ago, irnbruman said:

10p would be a gross overpayment for Steven Fletcher. I wouldnt give him a game in the juniors. How the fuck he is a professional is way beyond me

How the Hibernians got 3 million for him is beyond belief

Chairman played a blinder

55 minutes ago, DaveyDenoon said:

EPL wages for the average Joe are equally as bonkers.

Apparently there’s one young lad at Man City who’s just dropped 2.25 million cash on a house. He’s never yet played in a premier league game.

Astonishing.

Completely bang average players at West Brom get £30-40k a week. It’s insane!

On 19/12/2017 at 6:41 AM, SpiderAlba said:

John Stones - Everton to Man City - £50,000,000

Been worth every penny so far :ok: 

On 20/12/2017 at 8:33 AM, shaggycoo said:

Aye, apparently it is all the work Pep has been doing over the last couple of season - instilling his ethos on the squad that has them playing this way, and definitely not the £400 million he has spent on players....

I think the work Pep has done has made the most difference tbf.

Just look at the improvement in Stones, Sterling, KDB, Delph, Otamendi for starters :ok:

54 minutes ago, Glasgowmancity said:

I think the work Pep's doctors have done has made the most difference tbf.

Just look at the improvement in Stones, Sterling, KDB, Delph, Otamendi for starters :ok:

Fixed it for you, GMC ;)

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

Fixed it for you, GMC ;)

haha. I seen this week Gabriel Jesus was sent off to Barcelona for treatment on his latest injury, which is interesting. No doubt he'll come back in double quick time and with the stamina of stallion.

17 hours ago, Mox said:

haha. I seen this week Gabriel Jesus was sent off to Barcelona for treatment on his latest injury, which is interesting. No doubt he'll come back in double quick time and with the stamina of stallion.

That's where Aguero went after his car crash, and Stones with his injury too :wink2: 

But so did Kompany so the doctors can't be that good :lol:

On 11/01/2018 at 2:28 PM, Glasgowmancity said:

I think the work Pep has done has made the most difference tbf.

Stones was a bit pish yesterday still overrated and overpriced

• 6 months later...

The median Premier League club generates £171m in revenue (2016-17 figures); £116.6m from Premier League broadcasting. That's leaves £54.4m generated outside PL broadcasting. The median transfer spend per club so far this season is £54.4m - 100% of the non-broadcasting revenue, without wages, add-ons and agent fees. The median club spends £99m on wages - 182% of their non-broadcasting revenue.

Only six clubs in the 2016-17 season had a wage-to-non broadcasting revenue-ratio of less than 100% - Man Utd (60%), Arsenal (71%), Tottenham (80%), Man City (80%), Liverpool (95%), Leicester (96%). All of those clubs, bar Liverpool, played European football that season.

I can't wait for the Premier League bubble to burst - broadcasting revenue has taken these clubs way beyond their natural economic limit.

On 7/30/2018 at 3:11 AM, Clyde1998 said:

The median Premier League club generates £171m in revenue (2016-17 figures); £116.6m from Premier League broadcasting. That's leaves £54.4m generated outside PL broadcasting. The median transfer spend per club so far this season is £54.4m - 100% of the non-broadcasting revenue, without wages, add-ons and agent fees. The median club spends £99m on wages - 182% of their non-broadcasting revenue.

Only six clubs in the 2016-17 season had a wage-to-non broadcasting revenue-ratio of less than 100% - Man Utd (60%), Arsenal (71%), Tottenham (80%), Man City (80%), Liverpool (95%), Leicester (96%). All of those clubs, bar Liverpool, played European football that season.

I can't wait for the Premier League bubble to burst - broadcasting revenue has taken these clubs way beyond their natural economic limit.

I'm as keen for the bubble to burst as the next person, but why all the certainty that it will - this isn't just aimed at you but it's a oft-repeated mantra across forums and in conversations. Why should broadcast revenues fall? People will always want to watch football, TV companies - be they "traditional" or online platforms - will always want to sell subscriptions. I don't see how, when or why the bubble should burst spectacularly. Is it just wishful thinking?

44 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

I'm as keen for the bubble to burst as the next person, but why all the certainty that it will - this isn't just aimed at you but it's a oft-repeated mantra across forums and in conversations. Why should broadcast revenues fall? People will always want to watch football, TV companies - be they "traditional" or online platforms - will always want to sell subscriptions. I don't see how, when or why the bubble should burst spectacularly. Is it just wishful thinking?

Me neither despite the obsession on here.

Ive asked that same question before and no cunt has managed to answer yet. 

Sadly, it’ll continue.

Talksport reporting that Swansea are ready to bid £6 million for Scott McKenna. Given they just sold Kyle Bartley for somewhere between £4-5 million, i'd say they can GTF and come back with a real offer.