EPL players price tags? - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

EPL players price tags?

Just been watching the Everton v Swansea game and couldn't believe it when the commentator said that Everton paid £45 million for Gylfi Sigurdson (not saying he is not a decent player but £45 million). Got me thinking of other players who left clubs for stupid money. Another player i thought of was Fellani of Man UTD. Who else?

18 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Just been watching the Everton v Swansea game and couldn't believe it when the commentator said that Everton paid £45 million for Gylfi Sigurdson (not saying he is not a decent player but £45 million). Got me thinking of other players who left clubs for stupid money. Another player i thought of was Fellani of Man UTD. Who else?

Apparently he cost more (£28m ?) than the entire Atletico Madrid team that won La Liga 3-4 seasons ago.

Astonishing.

13 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Allan Hutton. Unbelievable what he went for. Shows the stupidity of that league. :lol:

I'd beg to disagree with you there Mr O.

Top European defender for a few years. If he'd been English he'd have gone for even more .

Ross McCormack shifted about bottom end EPL and championship sides for some amount of dosh. Now in Australia I believe after “gategate”.

Steven Fletcher gone for some money too.

Jonny Evans was linked with a big move a few months back for mental money, but then defenders who can actually defend are pretty rare.

Carroll and Fellani have already been mentioned but some others from recent years ......

Ángel Di María - Real Madrid to Man Utd - £59,700,000

John Stones - Everton to Man City - £50,000,000

Fernando Torres - Liverpool to Chelsea - £50,000,000

Andriy Shevchenko - Milan to Chelsea - £30,800,000

Roberto Soldado - Valencia to Tottenham - £26,000,000

Juan Sebastián Verón -  Lazio to Man Utd - £24,300,000

38 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

The second part of that sentence doesn't explain the first part!

I can’t even remember the figure, but it seemed expensive for a 30 year old, pretty ordinary centre half from West Brom.

However unlike David Luiz and his ilk, Jonny Evans is a bit more of an old fashioned defender who actually defends first, rather than being a selfish show pony.

Perhaps if his name was Juan I’d overlook it?

2 hours ago, SpiderAlba said:

Carroll and Fellani have already been mentioned but some others from recent years ......

Ángel Di María - Real Madrid to Man Utd - £59,700,000

John Stones - Everton to Man City - £50,000,000

Fernando Torres - Liverpool to Chelsea - £50,000,000

Andriy Shevchenko - Milan to Chelsea - £30,800,000

Roberto Soldado - Valencia to Tottenham - £26,000,000

Juan Sebastián Verón -  Lazio to Man Utd - £24,300,000

Comparing Carroll and Fellani with most of that list is ridiculous. 

Torres is one of the finest strikers of his generation! 

32 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Comparing Carroll and Fellani with most of that list is ridiculous. 

Torres is one of the finest strikers of his generation! 

At Atlético Madrid and Liverpool aye he was great.

At Chelsea (after paying £50,000,000 for him) he was pish, they'd have been better off getting Kevin Kyle or Jon Daly in.

This thread is about obscene transfer fees in the EPL. So I named a few.

5 minutes ago, SpiderAlba said:

At Atlético Madrid and Liverpool aye he was great.

At Chelsea (after paying £50,000,000 for him) he was pish, they'd have been better off getting Kevin Kyle or Jon Daly in.

This thread is about obscene transfer fees in the EPL. So I named a few.

Yeah, i agree the fee was huge but they legitimately believed that they were buying the best striker in Europe. I'm just trying to put it in to context and think it's a bit unfair to start a thread with mentions of Carroll, Fellaini and Sigurdsson and then mention truly world class players like Di Maria, Torres, Schevchenko and Veron. 

1 hour ago, JasMc1973 said:

Torre Andre Flo, 12 million of taxpayers money wasted...

4 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Nah we got about 7 million of that back......

To be fair, Flo wasnt actually that bad for Rangers, he just couldn’t live up to the price tag and expectations.

Theres a couple of players mentioned who had ridiculous prices put on their head that they were then judged against. Torres to Chelsea, Carrol to Liverpool and Flo to Rangers.

Some clubs have money to burn......

Manchester United have wasted more money than any other team in the Premier League, research has found.

A transfer review by the Prime Time Sport consultancy released at the Soccerex global convention in Manchester found that £474.81m worth of players signed by Premier League clubs over the last three seasons were used in 50 per cent or less of the total minutes of their club's season.

At the top of the list of culprits were United, with a total of £117.61m, followed by Tottenham Hotspur £100.81m.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3225400/Manchester-United-wasted-money-expensive-flops-Premier-League-joins-throwing-cash-drain.html#ixzz51k4bI8E9 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook