EPL players price tags? - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

EPL players price tags?

5 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Talksport reporting that Swansea are ready to bid £6 million for Scott McKenna. Given they just sold Kyle Bartley for somewhere between £4-5 million, i'd say they can GTF and come back with a real offer. 

We all know that if that is true then Aberdeen will take the £6m.

22 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Talksport reporting that Swansea are ready to bid £6 million for Scott McKenna. Given they just sold Kyle Bartley for somewhere between £4-5 million, i'd say they can GTF and come back with a real offer. 

I’d be very surprised if they offered as much as that and even more surprised if Aberdeen turned it down.

1 hour ago, shaggycoo said:

We all know that if that is true then Aberdeen will take the £6m.

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

I’d be very surprised if they offered as much as that and even more surprised if Aberdeen turned it down.

Unless it also included a decent sell-on %age, accepting it would be the wrong decision IMO. 

22 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Unless it also included a decent sell-on %age, accepting it would be the wrong decision IMO. 

I agree any Scottish club selling into the English market should be trying to get a sell on put in. Playing a few decent games in the championship can stick an extra 0 on the end of the transfer fee. (See Marvin Johnson).

But nobody is coming into the SPFL market to spend £6million, unless it’s for a Celtic Player who has done well in Champions league and internationally.

Aberdeen possibly don’t need to sell, but I’d have thought £2-3 million would be reaching the limit they will get...

I can’t think of anyone leaving Scotland for more than a couple of million excluding Celtic or Rangers.

1 minute ago, sbcmfc said:

I agree any Scottish club selling into the English market should be trying to get a sell on put in. Playing a few decent games in the championship can stick an extra 0 on the end of the transfer fee. (See Marvin Johnson).

But nobody is coming into the SPFL market to spend £6million, unless it’s for a Celtic Player who has done well in Champions league and internationally.

Aberdeen possibly don’t need to sell, but I’d have thought £2-3 million would be reaching the limit they will get...

I can’t think of anyone leaving Scotland for more than a couple of million excluding Celtic or Rangers.

Craig Gordon.

McKenna's on a long-term deal and Aberdeen can demand a reasonably high fee if there is sufficient interest. As ever it will depend on the player, if he's happy to stay at Aberdeen for another couple of years then they can demand "silly" money, otherwise they might need to make something work sooner but if so it should be loaded with add ons.

McKenna will go on to be the regular Scotland captain and if he does stay at the Dons another couple of seasons will get a better move than Swansea.

18 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

There's 0% chance of him leaving then.

He's on a 4 year contract and is only going to get better, given more exposure to first team/european/international football. 

You seem to have an inferiority complex when it comes to the value of Scottish players being sold to England. 

17 minutes ago, Parklife said:

You seem to have an inferiority complex when it comes to the value of Scottish players being sold to England. 

Not an inferiority complex.

I’m not saying McKenna wouldn’t be worth that, but it is a different market down there. Clubs in England can afford to turn down offers that Scottish clubs can’t. There’s also the wages, can you pay a guy £1500 a week (I’ve no idea if he’s on that or 4 times that?) and say he’s worth £6 million? And will his head be turned by £25k a week elsewhere?

I had similarly high hopes for Mark Reynolds and while he did ok, he never reached the heights I thought/hoped he would.

I hope the boy is as good as you guys think and if he’s on a 4 year deal, you can enjoy 1 1/2 or 2 seasons before you have to cash in.

4 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Not an inferiority complex.

I’m not saying McKenna wouldn’t be worth that, but it is a different market down there. Clubs in England can afford to turn down offers that Scottish clubs can’t. There’s also the wages, can you pay a guy £1500 a week (I’ve no idea if he’s on that or 4 times that?) and say he’s worth £6 million? And will his head be turned by £25k a week elsewhere?

I had similarly high hopes for Mark Reynolds and while he did ok, he never reached the heights I thought/hoped he would.

I hope the boy is as good as you guys think and if he’s on a 4 year deal, you can enjoy 1 1/2 or 2 seasons before you have to cash in.

We can say he's worth whatever we want at the moment. He's said he's happy where he is and signed a contract until 2022 less than 6 months ago. 

If a team wants him, they can pay the going rate. In particular if it's Swansea who sold Bartley for £4-5 million and look like selling Mawson for £20 million +. 

A debt-free AFC have no need to sell our best player on the cheap. 

7 hours ago, Parklife said:

Their head of recruitment is an Aberdeen reject.

4 hours ago, SMcoolJ said:

Just shy of £3k.  

Interesting in one of the papers they were talking about Vydra being on £50k a week at Derby. Rodwell was on even more at Sunderland. Those wages are not necessarily typical but you can see how they could turn someone's head. I hope Mckenna stays a bit longer.

Edited by Hertsscot

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/31/2018 at 1:50 PM, Parklife said:

6 million for McKennna is a lot of money.
However he is potentially going to be as good as Tierney or Robertson in the long run.
If he plays 20 games in EPL then he will suddenly become worth a lot more than that.
So Aberdeen are quite right to demand a premium.

However the EPL clubs know Scotland is a different market.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Man Utd fans getting selfies with Lucas Moura was the highlight of the night :rollsmile:

You can say what you like about Scottish football, but I’ll take wifeys flicking the Vs at opposition players over tourists watching the game they’ve paid £60 to watch through a 6” screen any day of the week.

16 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

You can say what you like about Scottish football, but I’ll take wifeys flicking the Vs at opposition players over tourists watching the game they’ve paid £60 to watch through a 6” screen any day of the week.

Amen.