Gigs 2K18 - Page 6 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I've got Dweezil Zappa next week, doing Hot Rats. 

Five Finger Death Punch (Megadeth support!) at Wembley Arena in Jan. 

The Mission in Birmingham in Feb

Rammstein in Tallinn in July. 

Had tickets for Slipknot in Glasgow in Jan, but accidently booked a holiday to Argentina over that date. DURGHH... 

Edited by Brummie Hibs

2 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

I was at the Sheds in Glasgow on Saturday night.  The Academy is a shite venue but what a show the Sheds put on.  I reckon that's about my 5th or 5th Shedcember in a row and they get better every time (pun intended).

Was there on Friday. Brilliant night. Best frontman in the UK. They, quite simply, know how to put a show on.

2 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

I was at the Sheds in Glasgow on Saturday night.  The Academy is a shite venue but what a show the Sheds put on.  I reckon that's about my 5th or 5th Shedcember in a row and they get better every time (pun intended).

They are fucking tremendous.

Got myself a Shed7 bobble wooly hat!

Still great to be going Shed 7 gigs, 25yrs on from Change Giver tour. Academy is a shit hole venue, cheaper for bands to hire though, compared to Barras. Good to see loads of young folk in to Shed 7 too. Losing the O2 ABC and now the Art School, bit of a blow for gigging in Weegie.

11 hours ago, Jon Cutler said:

Still great to be going Shed 7 gigs, 25yrs on from Change Giver tour. Academy is a shit hole venue, cheaper for bands to hire though, compared to Barras. Good to see loads of young folk in to Shed 7 too. Losing the O2 ABC and now the Art School, bit of a blow for gigging in Weegie.

Newer ones have opened at SWG3 though.   Their sound is good, but I'm not keen on the long narrow layouts.   I've been in "Galvanizers" and the "TV Studio" so far.   Opeth didn't like the small stage however, and reminisced about the ABC.

Sound at the Barras beats the Academy hands down;  and beats the Hydro too unless you're standing in the middle there.   Getting to like sitting upstairs nowadays at the Academy when they open it.   Hydro seats are too far away.

Edited by Grim Jim

10 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Newer ones have opened at SWG3 though.   Their sound is good, but I'm not keen on the long narrow layouts.   I've been in "Galvanizers" and the "TV Studio" so far.   Opeth didn't like the small stage however, and reminisced about the ABC.

Sound at the Barras beats the Academy hands down;  and beats the Hydro too unless you're standing in the middle there.   Getting to like sitting upstairs nowadays at the Academy when they open it.   Hydro seats are too far away.

I did get to SWG3 to see Pete Murphy & Daniel Ash doing In the Flat Field and was at yard for LCD Soundsytem gig. Defo good place for gig. Coming from Falkirk way it's a bit of a hassle getting there if you're not driving.

The fact that Shed 7 can play 2 nights at The Academy and Ocean Colour Scene 4 nights at Barrowlands destroys the myth that Glasgow are tough audiences.  Both dreadful situations for all concerned.

In terms of venues

Art School - looks to be a temporary closure with gigs scheduled February.  It's a great venue with good sound and decent beers available.

SWG3 - benefited from ABC demise.  The small room is rubbish with big columns blocking view.  I'd never go back to that.  The bigger room is much better.  Not been to an outside gig.  

Barrowlands - meh.  Thought it was amazing. Was away for 10 years.  Came back and underwhelmed.  It's ok.

St Lukes - my fave venue.  Good sound, size and bar.

Hydro - amazing venue for big shows.  Rivals Madison Square Garden.  

12 minutes ago, Alan said:

The fact that Shed 7 can play 2 nights at The Academy and Ocean Colour Scene 4 nights at Barrowlands destroys the myth that Glasgow are tough audiences.  Both dreadful situations for all concerned.

What would be dreadful would be if there were moaning faced Tory mouthpieces at them but thankfully you don't approve.