Chester races - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Chester races

Falkirk till I die

Looking into organising a shift get away to Chester for the May meeting next year. I know that there have been TAMB trips there in the past. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to places to stay/eat, train travel etc? I know it is a fair bit away but with my mob we need to start talking about it now or they will never muster themselves in time!

Thanks for any info

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2017 at 10:20 AM, Falkirk till I die said:

Looking into organising a shift get away to Chester for the May meeting next year. I know that there have been TAMB trips there in the past. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to places to stay/eat, train travel etc? I know it is a fair bit away but with my mob we need to start talking about it now or they will never muster themselves in time!

Thanks for any info

I've only been in Chester the once so all I can do is recommend a place not to eat.  It's an Italian called La Fattoria just near the town centre.  Service was abysmal and the food was average at best.  It's also one of those places where, despite looking like a "normal" restaurant and actually quite nice inside, they make a fuss if it's someones birthday.  This includes turning on disco lights, playing Cliff Richard "Congratulations" at full bung and the staff banging pot lids together as they gather round the table singing Happy Birthday.  Now imagine that happening 6 times in the 90 minutes I was in and you can maybe get an idea of my stress levels on the night!   You kind of expect that sort of thing if you go to a Frankie & Bennie's or TGIs but not in what appears to be a normal restaurant on a Tuesday night!

• 3 weeks later...

Can also recommend NOT to stay at the Gateway To Wales hotel....

It burnt down just before xmas !!

I was in Chester a few months ago but for the football rather than the racing.  There's a Holiday Inn Express right next to the racecourse, which is where we stayed.  

Some decent boozers in the town as well.

On ‎04‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 5:23 PM, aaid said:

I was in Chester a few months ago but for the football rather than the racing.  There's a Holiday Inn Express right next to the racecourse, which is where we stayed.  

Some decent boozers in the town as well.

Finally, someone with positive input:P........ decent boozers you say? Do tell!

Looked at booking that Holiday Inn, the reason escapes me why I didn't book. May have been no twin rooms available!

• 2 months later...

I lived in Chester for about ten years and still live about a dozen miles away in North Wales.

Loads of pubs and bars to chose from although expect them all to be really busy.

Decent pubs would be The Bear and Billet and The Brewery Tap in Lower Bridge Street, the Shropshire Arms and the Dublin Packet in the town square and Watergates and The Havana in Watergate Street.

Loads of great places to eat and recommend Nine Elephants (Thai), Brewhouse and Kitchen (Real Ales and Burgers), Shanghai (Chinese but not city center) and Istanbul BBQ.

As for the Races it is a great day out but expect to spend a lot of your time queuing at bars for expensive warm beer in plastic cups. We used to leave the course between races for a quick pint at The Watergate Inn behind the County Stand but alas I think it shut down recently.