Nigel Farage - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

We have to be careful here.

Farage is coming to Scotland with the deliberate intention of provoking a reaction. That's his one and only reason for making the trip up.

The guys who had a go at him the last time were mainly left-wing English students with no connection the Yes camp, but if it happens again then it's a racing certainty that the Cringers will publicise this for days as the work of co-ordinated independence supporters.

Farage is coming to Scotland with the deliberate intention of provoking a reaction. That's his one and only reason for making the trip up.

The Yes campaign need to be proactive about getting this message out.

I was screaming at the TV during the live debate shouting at Salmond to not talk over Darling - who was doing an excellent job of making an arse of himself. Same applies here - let him come to Scotland, let him speak, ignore him and let his pish make it's way into the political debate, that works for Yes more than trying to shout him down.

But Yes have to get that message out!

TT

Totally agree. Yes groups need to understand their time is better spent going round doors and campaigning and persuading as many people ad possible doing same. Murphy going back on tour, Farage and orange walk fill me with dread... Would rather they passed without any Yes attention.

Agree with all the posts.

Hopefully people will just let him do his thing and be on his way.

Egg McMurphy has shown that the least little bit of confrontation then the press will have a field day.

Let them do their thing and Yes keep on pounding the streets. Farage without incident alone will put people in our corner. BT will be squirming at the thought of him coming up here and will be hoping for an egg or something to happen to him.

Totally agree. Yes groups need to understand their time is better spent going round doors and campaigning and persuading as many people ad possible doing same. Murphy going back on tour, Farage and orange walk fill me with dread... Would rather they passed without any Yes attention.

:ok:

If we had ignored Murphy, he would have been left shouting to his hand-picked groupies.

Would rather he stayed away. Yes momentum going great just now - last thing I want to see is a mob protesting Farage and some idiot giving him an egg or a jab. Media are clearly realising this is not going well and are seeking to maximise damage to Yes.

Thats my fear as well.

I think YES grass roots need to take a pro-active strategy for Farage - and Murphy if he gets back on his soap box. Get a bunch of sensible volunteers to turn up everywhere they go and act as personal bodyguards for them to ensure neither get egged or slapped. And if anyone does step out of line, to catch whoever it is and turn them in.

Let's face it, people across the UK are scunnered with politicians and their own personal helplessness at the way the place is run. And UKIP arent the answer. They are a cry for help. Voting UKIP is like slashing your wrists in despair. UKIP are the most reactionary party out there and in power, would only cement the position of the elite - which is probably why the media have been all over Nigel Farage like a cheap suit for years.

In Scotland though, a window of opportunity has opened up. People have started talking about what sort of country they want to live in. It has got beyond the politician's control now. The SNP started this process, but the Yes grassroots are their own force. If you aren't involved in it you wouldn't know about it as the media don't discuss it. But it's happening, on the internet, in conversation after conversation, in doorstep meetings and packed town halls.

I am fascinated to see how this ends up. Scotland votes yes and briefly, all things become possible. But who will end up in charge - the elite and their politicians and media again, or the people? Equally, Scotland votes no - will the people who have started to discuss how they want their society organised give up? Will they redouble their efforts for Scotland alone? Or will they export their ideas to England?

The SNP started this process, but the Yes grassroots are their own force. If you aren't involved in it you wouldn't know about it as the media don't discuss it. But it's happening, on the internet, in conversation after conversation, in doorstep meetings and packed town halls.

For me, this is the most exciting bit about the whole referendum campaign. I have always thought that independence in itself probably wont make that much difference to most folk's lives one way or another. But this grass root involvement just might. If even just half of the folk actively involved in the YES campaign decide to stay involved after the referendum, we could be living in a very different place in 10 years time.

"It's time for the politicians to stand aside, The People of Scotland have got this under control"

But as you say, folk who aren't actively involved wont fully understand what we are on about. I have never seen anything like this.

They're throwing every bit of bait they have, Weirdly i was just reading an old spectator article where Norman Tebbitt was saying that UKIP was relatively rife with security services and he knew two people who were defo agents. This was back in 2001 and one though.

They're throwing every bit of bait they have, Weirdly i was just reading an old spectator article where Norman Tebbitt was saying that UKIP was relatively rife with security services and he knew two people who were defo agents. This was back in 2001 and one though.

What kind of "agents"? Or is that a secret?