Old football grounds - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Old football grounds

• 2 weeks later...

Is there ANY possibility of Clyde going home? Stadium is still there so...?

18 hours ago, buckielugger said:

Great wee ground. I once saw an Aberdeen centre half (Garner I think) go full Cantona on a Clyde fan who he thought had spat on him going up the tunnel. Turned out the lad was just spitting out his chewing gum and miss-.aimed. There wasn't a word about it in the papers.....changed days lol

18 hours ago, buckielugger said:

There has been rumours recently (coming from our new chairman) - still think we should have done a lot more to encourage the good people of Cumbernauld to have a go at supporting their "local" team.

1 minute ago, slasher said:

Great wee ground. I once saw an Aberdeen centre half (Garner I think) go full Cantona on a Clyde fan who he thought had spat on him going up the tunnel. Turned out the lad was just spitting out his chewing gum and miss-.aimed. There wasn't a word about it in the papers.....changed days lol

Very trues Slasher - was a great wee stadium for the fitba, can't believe (seems like yesterday) i'ts not been used for that purpose since 1986 !!!

3 minutes ago, glasgow jock said:

Very trues Slasher - was a great wee stadium for the fitba, can't believe (seems like yesterday) i'ts not been used for that purpose since 1986 !!!

Saw some great games there, we used to go quite regularly when Celtic were away as my mate played in goals for them

6 minutes ago, slasher said:

Saw some great games there, we used to go quite regularly when Celtic were away as my mate played in goals for them

True story this !!

It was either pre-season friendly or league cup qualifiers (1983) Clyde where playing Alex Ferguson's all conquering Aberdeen side (mind you we had a right good team then as well, including Pat Nevin, Tommy McQueen, Paul Flexney etc etc), anyhow during the game all these smartly dressed  lads with wedge style haircuts (:lol:) came from within the Aberdeen support (our first ever introduction to football casuals) think they where expecting to take a liberty with the Clyde young team - don't think it worked out too well as a few of them came from Rutherglen, Castlemilk & the Gorbals :lol:

Scottish fitba was absolutely brilliant back then - even us "diddy" clubs had some cracking players :(

Haha brilliant 😂

It was a game against Airdrie that finished my mate at Clyde. He was a cracking big keeper and a great lad but like most keepers daft as a brush. The Airdrie fans had given him a power, changing ends at half time to continue the abuse. Anyway, he saved a late penalty and then sinks to his knees, blessing himself ( Rangers fan too lol). He nearly caused a riot. Wee Broon had him in the office at full time and says 'Jack you've got great potential but you're padding about oot there as if you haven't a care in the world'.......Jack replies 'ah huvnae!'. He got released shortly afterwards lol 😂

It'd be brilliant to see the bully wee back at Shawfield 👍

11 minutes ago, slasher said:

Haha brilliant 😂

It was a game against Airdrie that finished my mate at Clyde. He was a cracking big keeper and a great lad but like most keepers daft as a brush. The Airdrie fans had given him a power, changing ends at half time to continue the abuse. Anyway, he saved a late penalty and then sinks to his knees, blessing himself ( Rangers fan too lol). He nearly caused a riot. Wee Broon had him in the office at full time and says 'Jack you've got great potential but you're padding about oot there as if you haven't a care in the world'.......Jack replies 'ah huvnae!'. He got released shortly afterwards lol 😂

It'd be brilliant to see the bully wee back at Shawfield 👍

Me too mate - think we still have a "sleeping" fan base in the south side / east end - our support has been poor in Cumbernauld, though as I stated above that has been a large part the clubs fault.

9 minutes ago, glasgow jock said:

Me too mate - think we still have a "sleeping" fan base in the south side / east end - our support has been poor in Cumbernauld, though as I stated above that has been a large part the clubs fault.

At least they didn't drop out the league last season, it looked like it was heading that way for a bit. That would have been a disaster!

Shoosh don't speak too soon - seriously though our level with our (potential support) would be mid table championship - though given the right conditions (good team - important games) bigger support than many in that league . . . . . .Clyde still take the largest travelling support in League 2 :lol:

41 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I very much doubt the support is there....Thistle struggle to get 3k in the SPL.

That’s pretty much the point I was making, if crowds are dwindling at likes of Thistle, Motherwell, Killie, St Mirren who have all been regularly in the top flight and at “home” for the last 30 years, what chance do a team a stones throw from parkhead have? I’d suspect there would be a slightly patronising soft spot for Clyde, but barring a cup final appearance that doesn’t put bums on seats (not that there are any seats).

On 14/12/2017 at 1:24 PM, glasgow jock said:

True story this !!

It was either pre-season friendly or league cup qualifiers (1983) Clyde where playing Alex Ferguson's all conquering Aberdeen side (mind you we had a right good team then as well, including Pat Nevin, Tommy McQueen, Paul Flexney etc etc), anyhow during the game all these smartly dressed  lads with wedge style haircuts (:lol:) came from within the Aberdeen support (our first ever introduction to football casuals) think they where expecting to take a liberty with the Clyde young team - don't think it worked out too well as a few of them came from Rutherglen, Castlemilk & the Gorbals :lol:

Scottish fitba was absolutely brilliant back then - even us "diddy" clubs had some cracking players :(

Was that not a Scottish cup tie. I was at that! There were certainly a good few casuals there that day :)

21 hours ago, Exglasgowasc said:

Was that not a Scottish cup tie. I was at that! There were certainly a good few casuals there that day :)

The funniest thing I've ever saw at football involved Aberdeen casuals,  a freezing cold night game Boxing Day late 80's, the casuals had attacked St Mirren supporters on the hill before the game,  a couple of coach load of Saints fans were in fancy dress, we lost to a dodgy last minute goal. 

Leaving the ground still fueled by the festive spirit, the casuals were waiting again, so a load of pissed up Saints fans just steamed straight into them,  Totally hilarious seeing Fred Flintstone, Mahatma Gandhi and Donald Duck rolling around the ground scrapping with The Pringle Boys :lol: :lol:

18 hours ago, Jersey Jim said:

The funniest thing I've ever saw at football involved Aberdeen casuals,  a freezing cold night game Boxing Day late 80's, the casuals had attacked St Mirren supporters on the hill before the game,  a couple of coach load of Saints fans were in fancy dress, we lost to a dodgy last minute goal. 

Leaving the ground still fueled by the festive spirit, the casuals were waiting again, so a load of pissed up Saints fans just steamed straight into them,  Totally hilarious seeing Fred Flintstone, Mahatma Gandhi and Donald Duck rolling around the ground scrapping with The Pringle Boys :lol: :lol:

Ha Ha magic :lol: takes me back to the Clyde v Aberdeen game mentioned above - all the lads dressed like they where going to the dancing looking for a scrap at Shawfield (picked on the wrong bunch of locals though). . . .though to be fair what I remember was the Aberdeen casuals where game as f**k