The Alex Salmond Show - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Alex Salmond Show

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Would you watch the Salmond program if it was on the BBC?

Yes ^?^ 

I dont watch RT usually as i have Virgin Media 

I know i could switch my TV to freeview but even if it was on VM i doubt if i would watch it

Not for any moralistic stand - just probably wouldn't watch it 

The point was that you dont need to watch RT to watch the Alex Salmond show - if you know what i mean 

On 09/12/2017 at 10:58 PM, Orraloon said:

It's not exactly riveting stuff, but what do you think is embarrassing about it?

Former First Minister of Scotland Alex Salmond hosts a new political chat program, 'The Alex Salmond Show', on RT, where he vows to battle the mainstream media narrative and take the news “out of the Westminster nexus.” 

I’m probably in the minority but find the idea of this type of show pretty embarrassing. 

Let me guess, Brexit bad?

3 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Former First Minister of Scotland Alex Salmond hosts a new political chat program, 'The Alex Salmond Show', on RT, where he vows to battle the mainstream media narrative and take the news “out of the Westminster nexus.” 

I’m probably in the minority but find the idea of this type of show pretty embarrassing. 

So you havent really watched it but are embarrassed ?

I think i was on the mark with my cringe biscuit

Episode 1 - the first mainstream interview with Puigdemont and afterwards he offered any of the opposing side to Catalan Independence a platform in response 

Episode 2 - Alastair Cambell Remainer

Episode 3 - Kate Hoey Brexiteer - then Angus McNeil (remain) and Nigel Evans (brexiteer) who sit on the same committee

He doesnt interupt or disagree and lets them all make their points

9 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Nah, this week it was some "Brexit is good" wifie. I have no idea who she is though. I think a big problem for him, is that he is struggling to get decent guests. It's not very good but, I still can't understand why you would be embarrassed about it.

42 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

So you havent really watched it but are embarrassed ?

I think i was on the mark with my cringe biscuit

Episode 1 - the first mainstream interview with Puigdemont and afterwards he offered any of the opposing side to Catalan Independence a platform in response 

Episode 2 - Alastair Cambell Remainer

Episode 3 - Kate Hoey Brexiteer - then Angus McNeil (remain) and Nigel Evans (brexiteer) who sit on the same committee

He doesnt interupt or disagree and lets them all make their points

I don’t have to watch it to think an ex politician having a tv show is embarrassing. 

40 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Nah, this week it was some "Brexit is good" wifie. I have no idea who she is though. I think a big problem for him, is that he is struggling to get decent guests. It's not very good but, I still can't understand why you would be embarrassed about it.

I’ll give it a watch next week 

2 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I don’t have to watch it to think an ex politician having a tv show is embarrassing. 

Of course there are plenty examples of this from which to disguise your hatred of Salmond and the SNP ...

24 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

You’re funny. 

As funny as saying something is embarrassing then admitting you havent watched it then trying to get everyone to believe it's a generalisation rather than being anti SNP/Salmond in a thread about the Alex Salmond show ?

That funny ?

Edited by Ally Bongo

8 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

As funny as saying something is embarrassing then admitting you havent watched it then trying to get everyone to believe it's a generalisation rather than being anti SNP/Salmond in a thread about the Alex Salmond show ?

That funny ?

You’ve put way more thought into this than I have. 

Dont get me wrong these days I find myself trusting politicians less and less, probably not at all if I’m being honest but I wouldn’t say I’m overly anti SNP or Salmond. 

Edited by ParisInAKilt

Brian Walden, during his stint on Weekend World was one of the only examples of a politician turned presenter who made it work. He was followed by Matthew Paris who is a fine presenter, on radio at least, but was far poorer than Walden at grilling politicians.

Just looking at that one episode, it's not great, but that's less down to Salmond and more down to the production and the format. Why make it 'The Alex Salmond Show' at all? It's not about him (or it shouldn't be), a programme of this sort should be issue driven, but the title and the opening sequence is all Salmond (and it is a bit cringey). Another aspect that made the old political shows like Weekend World and World in Action stand out was the choice of opening music - Salmond's is dire. Finally, what the hell's with the quaich? Utter needless fluff, and toe curling.

Salmond's interview technique, if it could be called such, doesn't help. Politicians need to be questioned, and if their answers are vacuous, as is almost always the case, then that needs dissecting - not by attacking the answerer, á la Paxman, but by attacking the answer. Walden was a master at this, whatever the political stripe of his interviewee. In fact I remember Salmond having a very uncomfortable time with him once long ago - pity he decided not to learn from the experience.

5 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

Brian Walden, during his stint on Weekend World was one of the only examples of a politician turned presenter who made it work. He was followed by Matthew Paris who is a fine presenter, on radio at least, but was far poorer than Walden at grilling politicians.

Just looking at that one episode, it's not great, but that's less down to Salmond and more down to the production and the format. Why make it 'The Alex Salmond Show' at all? It's not about him (or it shouldn't be), a programme of this sort should be issue driven, but the title and the opening sequence is all Salmond (and it is a bit cringey). Another aspect that made the old political shows like Weekend World and World in Action stand out was the choice of opening music - Salmond's is dire. Finally, what the hell's with the quaich? Utter needless fluff, and toe curling.

Salmond's interview technique, if it could be called such, doesn't help. Politicians need to be questioned, and if their answers are vacuous, as is almost always the case, then that needs dissecting - not by attacking the answerer, á la Paxman, but by attacking the answer. Walden was a master at this, whatever the political stripe of his interviewee. In fact I remember Salmond having a very uncomfortable time with him once long ago - pity he decided not to learn from the experience.

Aye, Brian Walden was excellent.

I think the lame questioning thing comes back to their inability to attract decent guests. I'm sure Salmond could dissect and interrogate their answers very well if he wanted to, but he doesn't. I don't think he wants to give these relative non entities too hard a time in case it put other potential guests off coming on the program. He is just trying to be too nice which makes it all too rehearsed and too wooden.

The fact that they ran out of quaichs, after two weeks,  might suggest that they weren't expecting it to last very long?:lol:

I've watched every show so far.

The guests have been on the whole good to excellent. It was wonderful to see the President of Catalonia on the first show and he spoke so well.

The Jackie Stewart interview was excellent too. And i even liked Alistair Campbell's interview although he is not someone who i share my politics with. 

My main criticisma of the programme is that it needs a better quality production, it needs to be a much longer show, and i would like to see much more of Tasmina too.

On 13/12/2017 at 7:14 PM, buckielugger said:

I've watched every show so far.

The guests have been on the whole good to excellent. It was wonderful to see the President of Catalonia on the first show and he spoke so well.

The Jackie Stewart interview was excellent too. And i even liked Alistair Campbell's interview although he is not someone who i share my politics with. 

My main criticisma of the programme is that it needs a better quality production, it needs to be a much longer show, and i would like to see much more of Tasmina too.

Big Alex has

:whistling::whistling: :whistling:

Interview with President of Lebanon was very interesting.

A man who led the defence of Beirut against the Israeli invasion in 1982. Full respect to the guy