Dundee - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Dundee

slasher

It'll soon be time for my annual Christmas nite oot with Mrs Slasher. Had a great time in Aberdeen last year and this year Dundee has got the gig.

We are staying centrally in the Hilton express. So, any dinner and good swally venue recommendations would be appreciated. 👍

10 hours ago, slasher said:

It'll soon be time for my annual Christmas nite oot with Mrs Slasher. Had a great time in Aberdeen last year and this year Dundee has got the gig.

We are staying centrally in the Hilton express. So, any dinner and good swally venue recommendations would be appreciated. 👍

Quite a few decent places to go for dinner these days. Depends on your taste/price range etc.

The Castlehill Restaurant 1-2 mins from your hotel is meant to be pretty good but a little above average price (or expensive even). I've not been but a few friends/colleagues have raved about it.

Also very close by is the Rama Thai restaurant. Again, I've not been but it's meant to be decent.

And the Anatalia another 100 yds further along is decent (and I have been there).

I also like the Italian Grill in the city square.

Edited by fringo

Quite a few more I could mention if you also want to stretch your legs a few more yards.

I rarely going drinking in the city centre these days so I'm not sure which are the best pubs these days.

If you want to head towards the Perth road there's loads more food choices and bars.

Phoenix Bar is a good old fashioned pub and 100 yds up is the DCA which is a bit more arty/farty but not bad IMO (depends what you want).

18 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Rama Thai is pretty poor, theres nothing like good Thai food, and this aint it.

DCA is great, but the Phoenix is shit, the sooner it closes the better.

I haven't been but thought it was rated.

I've not been for a while, but Phoenix (for a good few years anyway) seemed like one of the better city centre pubs to me.

Personally I'd prefer drinking up the Perth Road rather than city centre. Loads of good food places now including around up the length of Perth Rd and University area.

15 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Phoenix is the worst pub on the Perth Road, I really dislike it, although everyone else I know likes it. 

Rama Thai isnt good if youve been to a good Thai place in Edinburgh, London or Thailand.

Not sure if I've ever been to a Thai restaurant anywhere now I come to think of it. :o

18 hours ago, fringo said:

Quite a few more I could mention if you also want to stretch your legs a few more yards.

I rarely going drinking in the city centre these days so I'm not sure which are the best pubs these days.

If you want to head towards the Perth road there's loads more food choices and bars.

Phoenix Bar is a good old fashioned pub and 100 yds up is the DCA which is a bit more arty/farty but not bad IMO (depends what you want).

Mrs Slasher likes tapas and seafood especially....I'll eat just about anything lol. I see there's a place called the wine press that does taster plates and a big selection of vino. Been in there?

After that we'll be looking for a pub open late with music on (live or DJ doesn't matter). As long as it's no banging out the gbx and isn't full of kids I'll be happy 😀

4 hours ago, slasher said:

Mrs Slasher likes tapas and seafood especially....I'll eat just about anything lol. I see there's a place called the wine press that does taster plates and a big selection of vino. Been in there?

After that we'll be looking for a pub open late with music on (live or DJ doesn't matter). As long as it's no banging out the gbx and isn't full of kids I'll be happy 😀

2 hours ago, Jonathan said:

Sol y Sombras is meant to be one of the best restaurants in the Dundee area (Broughty Ferry). Set menu Tapas. 

Best restaurant in Dundee according to Tripadvisor.

I've been there 5-6 times and it's excellent (and everyone I know who has been says the same). If you do fancy to B/Ferry then defo go there but book in advance. If Mrs Slasher likes Tapas then you're onto a winner.

Some good pubs in Broughty Ferry and everything is within 200-300 yds of each other. Can't think of any that will have live music on though.

Gallery 48 near Dundee Uni is meant to be quite nice for tapas too.

I know some folk who have been to the wine press and like it but I'm not sure about the food.

On 16/11/2017 at 3:18 PM, madoneone said:

If you want entertainment,drop into the balcony bar  every drink £2 plenty of roasters to laugh at

Haha sounds interesting.

Anyway that's dinner sorted. The pub should be (a) warm (b) atmospheric and (c) no full of weans. If there's a few tunes on the juke box, some comfy chairs and mibbe even a wee dance floor for cutting shapes, ideal lol. I'm by the stage of hitting a club though.....I think 😵

Edited by slasher

6 minutes ago, slasher said:

Haha sounds interesting.

Anyway that's dinner sorted. The pub should be (a) warm (b) atmospheric and (c) no full of weans. If there's a few tunes on the juke box, some comfy chairs and mibbe even a wee dance floor for cutting shapes, ideal lol. I'm by the stage of hitting a club though.....I think 😵

Where are you having dinner after all these top suggestions :) (not that we are stalking you) as it might help suggest certain other pubs ?

On 17/11/2017 at 8:59 PM, fringo said:

Where are you having dinner after all these top suggestions :) (not that we are stalking you) as it might help suggest certain other pubs ?

Haha, gonnae go to the wine press m8. It's 2 mins from our hotel, looks good and we'll be dressed to impress 😀

I did fancy the tapas and Broughty Ferry pubs but it would've been a taxi job.....maybe next time 😉

On 19/11/2017 at 9:21 PM, slasher said:

Haha, gonnae go to the wine press m8. It's 2 mins from our hotel, looks good and we'll be dressed to impress 😀

I did fancy the tapas and Broughty Ferry pubs but it would've been a taxi job.....maybe next time 😉

Enjoy. I'm sure it'll be good. I've just spotted tonight that the wine press is doing a Hogmanay event so I might get a group of friends to go to that.

Let us know how you get on after your visit there.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BlueGaz
7 hours ago, slasher said:

Dundee I salute you! Brilliant night out 😁

My sons at uni in Dundee, gonna give it a night out on your recommendation. 

1 hour ago, fringo said:

Where did you after your meal ?

The wine press was excellent, great food and wine and quite reasonable. We went to a cocktail bar on the same street after that that had a live band on. Also thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere in tickety boos. We finished up in some sticky carpet job called rewind but even that was entertaining.

Everyone we met was really friendly and all the bars were buzzing with atmosphere. Will definitely make a return visit and would choose it over Aberdeen for a night out 👍

There was a great comedy moment in Tickety Boo's when Stevie May lookalike barman thought I was asking him out on a date.

Me: 'can we get a drink when you finish?' Stevie: 'erm, no thanks I'm meeting friends after work.'.         

Me: 'naw I meant after you finish serving that guy!' 😂😂😂

Edited by slasher