Hampden - stay or go? - Page 4 - Scotland Home Games - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

DizzyVizion

For me I prefer the proper football stadiums, Ibrox, Parkhead, Easter Road etc where the stands come straight off the pitch at a steep angle.

Hampden is great for history but the shallow stands and running track are a big problem.  Would love to have been at Hampden 30-40 years ago when 100,000 were in there.

My point is if there is no redevelopment then we leave and take games all around the country, and cup finals played at Ibrox,Parkhead, or Murrayfield.

However, my preferred option would be open the wallet and make Hampden into the best stadium in the world.  Thus, are big games are there but also with this fantastic new stadium in Glasgow (the home of football) We would get Champions League finals, Euro 2028 and then after hosting such a great event, big crowds and everyone getting smashed on the bevvy with Scandinavian chicks, we would host the 2034 world cup.

On 19/01/2018 at 12:43 PM, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

However, my preferred option would be open the wallet and make Hampden into the best stadium in the world.  Thus, are big games are there but also with this fantastic new stadium in Glasgow (the home of football) We would get Champions League finals, Euro 2028 and then after hosting such a great event, big crowds and everyone getting smashed on the bevvy with Scandinavian chicks, we would host the 2034 world cup.

More chance of Rolf Harris being awarded 'Father of the Year'.

Shouldn't we be thinking big though.  Why can't we do this, stadium would cost 1billion, ooch big number.

100m sfa  - going to reap rewards of huge stadium on gate and franchise fees

80m scot gov - scotland will grow economy with extra tourists and business interest

20m glasgow council - will gain from extra tourists to glasgow - 120,000 fans a couple of times a year big money

64m - £1 tax on every hotel room used in scotland over the next 4 years = 64m - these hotels will all make extra money 

660m - 10p on every alcoholic drink bought in scotland = 110m per year for 6 years - we all enjoy our boozing but are helping the national game as well

76m - EU & Uefa they would like to have a world leading stadium in europe for finals etc, more tourists plus its a community regeneration project for s glasgow.

-----------------------

1 billion pounds new stadium please.  SFA get in touch

29 minutes ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

Shouldn't we be thinking big though.  Why can't we do this, stadium would cost 1billion, ooch big number.

100m sfa  - going to reap rewards of huge stadium on gate and franchise fees

80m scot gov - scotland will grow economy with extra tourists and business interest

20m glasgow council - will gain from extra tourists to glasgow - 120,000 fans a couple of times a year big money

64m - £1 tax on every hotel room used in scotland over the next 4 years = 64m - these hotels will all make extra money 

660m - 10p on every alcoholic drink bought in scotland = 110m per year for 6 years - we all enjoy our boozing but are helping the national game as well

76m - EU & Uefa they would like to have a world leading stadium in europe for finals etc, more tourists plus its a community regeneration project for s glasgow.

-----------------------

1 billion pounds new stadium please.  SFA get in touch

Would you go to an insurance company and expect them to pay to have a souped up engine put in your new car? Of course not.

The point is that Hampden Park is still a top grade stadia as is. Nobody is going to throw money into a refurb when, in all essence, it in no way needs it. The SFA and the fans have two choices stay at Hampden with its flaws or decide to move and take Scotland matches to Murrayfield, Ibrox and Parkhead. Nobody is going to fund a 20-year-old stadium just because some fans have problems with it whilst UEFA etc do not.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

On 1/21/2018 at 1:39 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

Would you go to an insurance company and expect them to pay to have a souped up engine put in your new car? Of course not.

The point is that Hampden Park is still a top grade stadia as is. Nobody is going to throw money into a refurb when, in all essence, it in no way needs it. The SFA and the fans have two choices stay at Hampden with its flaws or decide to move and take Scotland matches to Murrayfield, Ibrox and Parkhead. Nobody is going to fund a 20-year-old stadium just because some fans have problems with it whilst UEFA etc do not.

You don't have much imagination CC.  its older than 20 years because when they remodelled in the early 90's they turned it into an athletics stadium.  If you are not sitting in the 3 sections on the halfway line, the view is awful.

Just was thinking, why not have a stadium that the world wants to come and watch football in?

You say Uefa has no problem with it, but it no longer has the capacity to host CL finals, they changed the criteria about 10 years ago.  We were one of the last to be given a groupfor the euros, fighting with Baku and Dublin, we should have a stadium that is the 1st to be given something.

Being professional and setting standards starts at the top. 

I re-iterate that there is no way anyone is going to fund a re-fit of Hampden. Even if Hampden was in its delapidated state of its pre-refurb days I would not see that being paid for in this day and age let alone the Hampden of today which is about 20 years old.

Fans either accept Hampden as it is with its flaws or push for a move from Hampden. Those are the only possibilities in the real world.

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Probably been asked already but how did Ireland and Wales’s manage to build two great stadiums? No way can their FAs have more money than ours.

Pretty certain the Millehhium Stadium was a mix of lottery funding and cash raised by selling of land of the old Cardiff Arms Park. The Irish stadium was primarily for Gaelic football which raised some ofvthe cash, combined with Irish lottery funding I reckon. Both of those countries were effectively without a national stadium hence funding was more forthcoming. Hampden was rebuilt around 20 years ago and is still our national stadium so why on earth would it gain any funding when.it is only the fans who have a problem with it?

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Pretty certain the Millehhium Stadium was a mix of lottery funding and cash raised by selling of land of the old Cardiff Arms Park. The Irish stadium was primarily for Gaelic football which raised some ofvthe cash, combined with Irish lottery funding I reckon. Both of those countries were effectively without a national stadium hence funding was more forthcoming. Hampden was rebuilt around 20 years ago and is still our national stadium so why on earth would it gain any funding when.it is only the fans who have a problem with it?

I thought Gaelic football was played a Croker not the aviva? although not 100% certain. 

Don't know why you are asking me that question, I never said anyone should fund it. I was interested to know how other nations did it. How accurate is your statement about Wales and Ireland not having a national stadium. Both could have used other stadia.

My point as basic as it is is that if they can find funding to upgrade or re-build, why can't we?

As for about Wales and Ireland not having a national stadium it is true.

The Millennium Stadium was built on the land of the former National Stadium Cardiff Arms Park where the Wales rugby team played. It was built for the Rugby World Cup and is now shared by the rugby and football team. There was no alternative national stadium for the rugby team.

The Aviva Stadium was simikar. It was built to replace Lansdowne Road which was demolished as was in a very poor state and needed replacing.

Those two stadia are no real diffetence to Hampden. It was rebuilt about 20 years ago. The only difference is the fans generally don't like it. In short there was a chance 20 years ago to totally redesign Hampden but they settled for the old bowl design.

11 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Rangers and Celtic have put their bid in now for games:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42824301

The area I'd have BIG problems with that is hosting Cup Finals. Those should always be on neutral grounds in my opinion so if the SFA do take he games away from Hampden then the Cup Finals should go to Murrayfield. 

Another thing to think about (that the SFA won't be considering of course) is what happens to Hampden? It will fall into rack asnd ruin and surely its time as a stadium will be numbered.

Any NORMAL nation would be addressing the issue in the required manner, it's just another illustration of why we would be FAR better of independent. Had we had co-hosted the European Champs whenever it was that that shitebag McConnell made damn sure we didn't get anywhere near it we would have had a huge boost in related investment. If Wales can do it, then surely te fk we can!? 

Last thing we want to do is allow our home and the heart of our national team die and fill the pockets further of the OF. I have no interest in going to see national games, semis or finals at either of the OF grounds unless it is whilst Hampden is being redeveloped. 

IF the SFA decide to leave Hampden then they can ram it. 

14 minutes ago, Bzzzz said:

Any NORMAL nation would be addressing the issue in the required manner, it's just another illustration of why we would be FAR better of independent. Had we had co-hosted the European Champs whenever it was that that shitebag McConnell made damn sure we didn't get anywhere near it we would have had a huge boost in related investment. If Wales can do it, then surely te fk we can!? 

Last thing we want to do is allow our home and the heart of our national team die and fill the pockets further of the OF. I have no interest in going to see national games, semis or finals at either of the OF grounds unless it is whilst Hampden is being redeveloped. 

Scotland and Wales were both rebuilding their national stadium around the same time. Difference was Wales made a good job of it and we didn't.

22 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Scotland and Wales were both rebuilding their national stadium around the same time. Difference was Wales made a good job of it and we didn't.

Although they only had one national stadium, we had two. Plus their football team now play at a club ground anyway.

4 hours ago, Toepoke said:

If the SFA plump for this option they can whistle for my SSC cash...

58 minutes ago, Bzzzz said:

Why are you so against watching scotland games or sc semis, finals at ibrox or parkhead?  They are both fantastic football stadiums with steep stands off the pitch and good facilities.

How about this for future games:

Scotland games - all round country for example  vALB (Easter Road)  vISR(Ibrox)  vCRC(Rugby Park)

SC Semis - Ibrox & Parkhead

SC Final - Murrayfield

Just think we need to use parkhead & murrayfield for big internationals and old firm games as the attendances are too big for hampden - get an extra 17000 in murrayfield.

3 minutes ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

Why are you so against watching scotland games or sc semis, finals at ibrox or parkhead?  They are both fantastic football stadiums with steep stands off the pitch and good facilities.

How about this for future games:

Scotland games - all round country for example  vALB (Easter Road)  vISR(Ibrox)  vCRC(Rugby Park)

SC Semis - Ibrox & Parkhead

SC Final - Murrayfield

Just think we need to use parkhead & murrayfield for big internationals and old firm games as the attendances are too big for hampden - get an extra 17000 in murrayfield.

I'd agree with that set-up if that is the way the SFA choose to go.

However, I'd be gutted to see the demise of Hampden Park only 20 years after it was rebuilt. So much history and special memories there.

23 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I'd agree with that set-up if that is the way the SFA choose to go.

However, I'd be gutted to see the demise of Hampden Park only 20 years after it was rebuilt. So much history and special memories there.

Agree the history and memories but it wouldn't necessarily be its demise.  1 Queens park could try and become a better team and increase there supporter base, they are the opposite to most clubs, they have the big stadium. 

But I see hampden's future more as an athletics and concert venue, which is i think what the redevelopers had in mind when they redid hampden.  They certainly didn't think of the football fans.

3 minutes ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

Agree the history and memories but it wouldn't necessarily be its demise.  1 Queens park could try and become a better team and increase there supporter base, they are the opposite to most clubs, they have the big stadium. 

But I see hampden's future more as an athletics and concert venue, which is i think what the redevelopers had in mind when they redid hampden.  They certainly didn't think of the football fans.

I honestly can't see how Hampden could hope to remain economically and as a leading international venue it would surely soon meet its demise. Okay it could be converted into an athletics stadium that may be able to attract major meetings but not enough to bring the coffers in on a regular basis to meet its upkeep. Pop concerts are now always at the SSC which is far better located centrally in Glasgow with great transport links.