Hampden - stay or go? - Page 5 - Scotland Home Games - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

DizzyVizion

11 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Did we not have to play at Celtic Park against the Faroes because Robbie was playing at Hampden on the same day?

Who was in charge then? Gordon Smith?

I think that was just down to sheer volumes of numbers of tickets they could have sold for him. The SSC suffices the majority of the time.

4 hours ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

Agree the history and memories but it wouldn't necessarily be its demise.  1 Queens park could try and become a better team and increase there supporter base, they are the opposite to most clubs, they have the big stadium. 

But I see hampden's future more as an athletics and concert venue, which is i think what the redevelopers had in mind when they redid hampden.  They certainly didn't think of the football fans.

An ambitious target that you've set Queens there, they could double their support and still not fill the press box. More chance of Scotland winning the World Cup ;)

The chief exec of Hampden was on Sportsound last night and pretty much said without regular big football games the stadium would have to close.

The redevelopers certainly did not envisage Hampden as an athletics venue, otherwise it wouldn't have taken a year to convert it for the Commonwealth Games. It was simply done the easiest way, by converting the existing terraces to all seater stands.

5 hours ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

Why are you so against watching scotland games or sc semis, finals at ibrox or parkhead?  They are both fantastic football stadiums with steep stands off the pitch and good facilities.

How about this for future games:

Scotland games - all round country for example  vALB (Easter Road)  vISR(Ibrox)  vCRC(Rugby Park)

SC Semis - Ibrox & Parkhead

SC Final - Murrayfield

Just think we need to use parkhead & murrayfield for big internationals and old firm games as the attendances are too big for hampden - get an extra 17000 in murrayfield.

Personally I'm opposed to football money going to rugby and certainly not keen on making our biggest clubs even wealthier.  

If we were starting from scratch then I agree the above suggestions are worth considering but not when we have a relatively new UEFA Category 4 stadium available that can act as a neutral home for Scottish football.

Edited by Toepoke

4 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Did we not have to play at Celtic Park against the Faroes because Robbie was playing at Hampden on the same day?

Who was in charge then? Gordon Smith?

I think it was still David Taylor then.

:sing: "He's fat, he's round, he stole our f***in ground"  was the chant of the day.

To be fair the gig was arranged before the draw for the Euros and I think we were planning on starting with an away game, but the fixture meeting finished without agreement and we had to go with the UEFA computer  (which did give us 6 Saturday home games).

8 hours ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

Why are you so against watching scotland games or sc semis, finals at ibrox or parkhead?  They are both fantastic football stadiums with steep stands off the pitch and good facilities.

Scotland games - all round country for example  vALB (Easter Road)  vISR(Ibrox)  vCRC(Rugby Park)

SC Final - Murrayfield

Just think we need to use parkhead & murrayfield for big internationals and old firm games as the attendances are too big for hampden - get an extra 17000 in murrayfield.

My understanding is that this is not what the SFA are looking at. They want one place lock stock and barrel and do not want a mixture of venues. This leaves them the choice of Hampden, Celtic Park, Ibrox or Murrayfield. It's all or nothing. They are not looking at a mix and match solution.

If (and it's currently a big if) more than 20,000 SSC memberships are sold then qualifiers need to be at one of these above grounds as members are guaranteed a ticket. Once away supporters, corporates, press, hangers on are factored in there are probably only three football stadiums and one rugby venue that are suitable.

And they have to relocate the 100s of SFA and SPFL staff currently in Hampden. Oh, and a museum. R£gan cannot afford to make an erse of this.

7 minutes ago, tartanmartin said:

My understanding is that this is not what the SFA are looking at. They want one place lock stock and barrel and do not want a mixture of venues. This leaves them the choice of Hampden, Celtic Park, Ibrox or Murrayfield. It's all or nothing. They are not looking at a mix and match solution.

If (and it's currently a big if) more than 20,000 SSC memberships are sold then qualifiers need to be at one of these above grounds as members are guaranteed a ticket. Once away supporters, corporates, press, hangers on are factored in there are probably only three football stadiums and one rugby venue that are suitable.

And they have to relocate the 100s of SFA and SPFL staff currently in Hampden. Oh, and a museum. R£gan cannot afford to make an erse of this.

If that is the case then it would have to be between Parkhead or Murrayfield for me as they have a far bigger capacity than Ibrox. And I believe cup final venues should always be neutral grounds so that would sway me towards Murrayfield.

18 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Personally I'm opposed to football money going to rugby and certainly not keen on making our biggest clubs even wealthier.  

If we were starting from scratch then I agree the above suggestions are worth considering but not when we have a relatively new UEFA Category 4 stadium available that can act as a neutral home for Scottish football.

How much would the sru make from games at murrayfield?  How much extra would cel/ran make?

If its a fair sum, why are Queens Park not rolling in it?

Or why do sfa make money out of hampden which they don't own, but stadiums with bigger capacities won't make them more money?

On the new cat 4 stadium, yes neutrality is good (unless QP make a semi!) however I look forward to going to big games, club and international, but with hampden I'm fed up of the terrible views.  I no longer look forward to the game, just thinking why am I spending money to not be able to tell if the balls going in the goal.  How do I get one of these seats on the halfway line? Be a journo or flunkey.  Why don't they open the top tier before filling in the ends?

I;ve been to around 25 of the 42 league stadiums in scotland and I can't think of another one with worse views than hampden, worse facilities, toilets at Ayr? worst pies at edinburgh city? Some of the small stadiums don't have high stands but you can change ends and be close to the action.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2018 at 11:44 AM, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

SC Final - Murrayfield

Hampden's our home.  

For a financial point of view we as a Football association are going to be better off Leaving Hampden and sharing with the SRU, they are going to look at ways to accommodate us and make it feel as a home and as we will be paying rent and a valuable source of extra income they are best placed to meet our needs.

2 hours ago, Mushet84 said:

For a financial point of view we as a Football association are going to be better off Leaving Hampden and sharing with the SRU, they are going to look at ways to accommodate us and make it feel as a home and as we will be paying rent and a valuable source of extra income they are best placed to meet our needs.

Murrayfield is a rugby stadium, it's not a good football stadium, it's not a great rugby stadium either and it's not our home. To remove us from Hampden would tear the heart out of the national side IMO. The SFA needs help, it needs torn apart and restructured tbh but we need our home and Murrayfield is not it. 

18 hours ago, Bzzzz said:

Murrayfield is a rugby stadium, it's not a good football stadium, it's not a great rugby stadium either and it's not our home. To remove us from Hampden would tear the heart out of the national side IMO. The SFA needs help, it needs torn apart and restructured tbh but we need our home and Murrayfield is not it. 

Absolutely spot on.

On 1/26/2018 at 8:17 PM, tartanmartin said:

This is why it is down to Murrayfield and Hampden. Ground hopping would cost a lot more than paying one venue a fixed fee. Add to that if leaving Hampden you would need to find new offices for the SFA and SPFL which I imagine the SRU have included as part of there bid.

1 hour ago, drew said:

This is why it is down to Murrayfield and Hampden. Ground hopping would cost a lot more than paying one venue a fixed fee. Add to that if leaving Hampden you would need to find new offices for the SFA and SPFL which I imagine the SRU have included as part of there bid.

There's no way the SFA will relocate their offices to Embra. Be surprised if Murrayfield has the office space too. 

On 08/02/2018 at 2:16 PM, Mushet84 said:

Financially the SFA would be worse off. SFA currently pay Hampden Park Ltd (a fully owned subsidiary of the SFA) around £800k a year. Of which about £250k goes to Queens Park. The remainder is spent on stadium upkeep, wages etc by Hampden Park Ltd.

It also means the SFA can host concerts and events at Hampden for a price and sell the catering, hospitality and merchandise contracts for concerts and matches. It also gets to use the offices for its staff.

A move elsewhere means paying rental for matches, paying for staff office space (it may not be possible to have this at Murrayfield) and a massive income loss for non-football events. Keep in mind that the recent SFA/SSC survey showed the majority of international fans come from the West. Edinburgh is not going to provide a higher attendance in a bigger stadium. I'm from Edinburgh so this isn't a dig at its residents.

The survey results showed Hearts and Hibs contributing 5% each to match attendances. The survey had approx 6,000 respondents from a membership of 30,000 so it's a good representation of our support.

9 hours ago, tartanmartin said:

Financially the SFA would be worse off. SFA currently pay Hampden Park Ltd (a fully owned subsidiary of the SFA) around £800k a year. Of which about £250k goes to Queens Park. The remainder is spent on stadium upkeep, wages etc by Hampden Park Ltd.

It also means the SFA can host concerts and events at Hampden for a price and sell the catering, hospitality and merchandise contracts for concerts and matches. It also gets to use the offices for its staff.

A move elsewhere means paying rental for matches, paying for staff office space (it may not be possible to have this at Murrayfield) and a massive income loss for non-football events. Keep in mind that the recent SFA/SSC survey showed the majority of international fans come from the West. Edinburgh is not going to provide a higher attendance in a bigger stadium. I'm from Edinburgh so this isn't a dig at its residents.

The survey results showed Hearts and Hibs contributing 5% each to match attendances. The survey had approx 6,000 respondents from a membership of 30,000 so it's a good representation of our support.

This is the bit that people who complain about Hampden forget. Moving isn't just about getting a better stadium to watch football in. You are potentially losing out on lost revenue from Hampden being used for concerts and other events. No chance of the SRU / Rangers / Celtic are going to agree to the SFA getting a decent cut from there stadiums hosting such events. The SFA get a good deal out of Hampden and the only way they could get a better one is to own the stadium rather renting.

All sentiment aside the figures just don't work for a move or a roaming set up. It's a great shame that we don't own the stadium, could the SFA no buy Queens Park FC and their assets etc? I'm sure there must be ways we could generate significant investment to protect and improve the home of world fitba!?

Personally, I love Hampden, don't have any problems with it although it could be a better viewing experience, I guess having been going for 40 years it's a part of me as well now and I'm used to the travel back and forward.