Question Time Tonight - Page 118 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Question Time Tonight

You have to wonder about peoples decision making. Inviting him onto QT last week was asking for trouble, do the producers not realise that twitter, facebook etc exist?

The need for balance is understandable and reasonable, however, whenever Ive watched it recently, its been far from balanced, the audience tend to be white middle aged foaming at the mouth rabid English/British nationalists who despise the EU, despise 48% of people etc etc

If they want a right wing reactionary wankfest, then fine, but dont pretend to be balanced, neutral or unbiased.

2 hours ago, kumnio said:

You have to wonder about peoples decision making. Inviting him onto QT last week was asking for trouble, do the producers not realise that twitter, facebook etc exist?

The need for balance is understandable and reasonable, however, whenever Ive watched it recently, its been far from balanced, the audience tend to be white middle aged foaming at the mouth rabid English/British nationalists who despise the EU, despise 48% of people etc etc

If they want a right wing reactionary wankfest, then fine, but dont pretend to be balanced, neutral or unbiased.

Hating the EU is right wing?

Maybe that’s the angle QT is going for ...

9 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Its content suggest it’s not a myth. 

What content is that ?

Kate Andrews being on it every week

Nick Robinson

8 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Having conservative pundits / commentators doesn’t make the bbc right wing 

It certainly doesnt make it left wing

Neither does this

583.jpg?width=300&quality=85&auto=format

Edited by Ally Bongo

Historically the BBC was editorially biased left of centre, there was a particular long running conflict with the Tories during the 80s that I recall.  These days the government of the day seem to have a much greater say over political output...

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2016/jun/08/does-the-government-want-the-bbc-to-be-a-state-broadcaster

41 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Remember PIAK stated that AOC is a "communist" 

That's your term of reference when arguing that the BBC is not left wing 

She can be a communist and the BBC can be left wing. 

Both are liars as well 😀

Think people still see left wing as being good and right wing as being bad. I know I did. 

Edited by ParisInAKilt

The BBC hasn't been the same since Campbell Blair and Mandelson fucked it over during Iraq War and Dr Kelly (as a side note the journalist who helped bring Saville to light "Miles Goslett" has wrote a book about Kelly a very interesting read called an Inconvenient Death)

It certainly isn't Left-Wing as i understand it.

8 hours ago, aaid said:

It was noticeable at the time that there'd been an edit.  I assumed it was because of an obscenity.

Turns out it was because BBC's favourite unionist proceeded to talk over Hyslop, about Salmond, and so they couldn't broadcast it. But of course they left in his full rant uninterrupted, and broadcast it all over Twitter. So there are questions about right to reply and whether it was fair to leave the impression that Hyslop had almost nothing in response.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/17430795.revealed-question-time-secretly-edited-snp-answer-to-unionist-plant/

Actually more damning than that is that on an audience question about (i.e. against) independence, apparently there were 9 questions from the audience, and only one was from a Yes voter. 

Across the programme as a whole, unionist audience members were given over 3 minutes, while pro-indy voices from the audience were given less than a minute. 

I saw that he'd shouted stuff about Salmond and if that's the case you can understand why the BBC edited it as broadcasting it would be a contempt of court.  However, they probably should have cut his - Billy Mitchell - whole piece in the interests of balance.

It further calls into question the question to invite him - this isn't some random guy that's unknown to the producers - in the first place and also why he wasn't removed at that point from the audience.

Someone at Mentorn needs to get their jotters over this, won't happen though.

8 hours ago, aaid said:

It was noticeable at the time that there'd been an edit.  I assumed it was because of an obscenity.

It was also noticeable to anyone with an ounce of awareness that the guy was an aggressive bell end,  likely to explode at anytime.  

But they chose to let him speak,  leave in the only part of his  sermon that had any control, and remove the response. 

As you have said in your next post, the entire question should have been cut for balance. 

The programme is a pantomime. 

3 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

It was also noticeable to anyone with an ounce of awareness that the guy was an aggressive bell end,  likely to explode at anytime.  

But they chose to let him speak,  leave in the only part of his  sermon that had any control, and remove the response. 

As you have said in your next post, the entire question should have been cut for balance. 

The programme is a pantomime. 

And in any case haven't we heard his anti-SNP rhetoric time and time again. Jeez why don't they just give him his own show and be done with it.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

I saw that he'd shouted stuff about Salmond and if that's the case you can understand why the BBC edited it as broadcasting it would be a contempt of court.  However, they probably should have cut his - Billy Mitchell - whole piece in the interests of balance.

It further calls into question the question to invite him - this isn't some random guy that's unknown to the producers - in the first place and also why he wasn't removed at that point from the audience.

Someone at Mentorn needs to get their jotters over this, won't happen though.

We have the answers though.

You provided the link about the "producer" who is clearly a far right idealist.

Then you have Billy saying he was invited to give a voice.

He was basically subcontracted in to do a job on question time. Imagine he was dragged out, shouting you invited me here in the first place.