Question Time Tonight - Page 144 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Question Time Tonight

Always amazed they never , when it comes to workers, talk about low pay. Refuse  to say the shops like Aldi are paying the same as 20 years ago and farmers still want cheap labour working their arses off for £4 pound an hour. 
Hospitality 😬 that’s just the poorest paid to service the few. Fukin feudal then and now. 

tonight on QT just reinforces the madness of those within the SNP whom have tried to neutralize alexander salmond from the independence or the snp debate. The biggest unionist realize the calamity of this to independence and cant believe there would be those within the SNP who would want him silenced or even jailed. Mcallan is a competent politician however she has been thrown to the wolves with the HMPA'S it may well destroy her political career which is a shame. salmond is just head and shoulders above any politician going, an absolute master at his craft his biggest mistake that may well harm his legacy, is handing powers over to sturgeon, what a lapse in judgment that was.. anyways, that QT gave me a bit of optimism that i needed

13 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

From what i read somewhere i believe it is those in the Scottish Government that organised and coached the witnesses his legal experts are after

This is getting more and more off the wall and more detached from reality with every twist and turn.   I suppose that’s to be expected, as every thread unravels they have to come up with more and more ludicrous stories to keep the grift going. 

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

tonight on QT just reinforces the madness of those within the SNP whom have tried to neutralize alexander salmond from the independence or the snp debate. The biggest unionist realize the calamity of this to independence and cant believe there would be those within the SNP who would want him silenced or even jailed. Mcallan is a competent politician however she has been thrown to the wolves with the HMPA'S it may well destroy her political career which is a shame. salmond is just head and shoulders above any politician going, an absolute master at his craft his biggest mistake that may well harm his legacy, is handing powers over to sturgeon, what a lapse in judgment that was.. anyways, that QT gave me a bit of optimism that i needed

I was going to post something similar to this though it didn’t leave me feeling positive. 
I only seen the last 30 mins of it so realise my take on things could be different if I seen the whole show, however based on what I did see my observations were

Tory guy had an absolute howler. Was pleasing.

BBC probably knew it was a waste of time supporting the Tories in Scotland so gave the other other arse cheek,  aka Jackie Baillie , a platform to present a Labour political broadcast. 
Also, an audience member mentioned that a ferry hadnt been running for a month and that she had to make a 96 mile round trip to get to the studio . Fiona Bruce managed to shoehorn her plight at least 3 times throughout the rest of the show. 

McAllan was ok. Didn’t do anything wrong but didnt blow up my skirt either. Used scripted soundbites , wouldn’t fancy her chances under strong questioning. 

Salmond , by far the most competent person on the panel. Natural and sharp. He was the only one that sounded like he wasnt spouting party politics. He got the most claps by far which seems to fly in the face of public opinion. 
This is why I feel disappointed. The UK has very few outstanding politicians. IMO he is one of them but he is never going to be in pole position to drive independence . 

22 hours ago, aaid said:

The last person who tried that got a sine die ban. I don’t take that you’re genuinely suggesting that from your post.

People can get up to whatever they want in their private lives as long as it’s consensual and legal (age, etc).   There are a few caveats to that with respect to politicians though.  Firstly if they are promoting publicly, an image and policies that are opposite to there own personal behaviour, so for example someone who promotes “family values” and then plays around - I don’t think applies to Salmond.   The other is where someone behaves with a recklessness that would borders on the irresponsible and which would likely be a resignation matter if it were to become public - that I do certainly believe applied to Salmond and he should’ve been reigned in by those close to him.

You seem to think that a verdict of not guilty means that what the accused said is by definition true and what those accusing him said is lies.  That’s not the case, all you can infer is that the required level of proof was not met.

As we know, two people can have very different recollections and experiences of any historic event and neither are lying, their viewpoints are just different.  Salmond admitted as much when he gave evidence saying that some of the incidents had been blown up out of all proportions - that means they happened.

I happen to think - in the main - that there is some truth in each of the accusations but that they didn’t meet the burden of proof.  There is one witness some of whose evidence I think is problematic although I suspect there was an incident which may have been unwanted but she didn’t raise it at the time for her own reasons.  I’m not suggesting she’s lying btw, just that her evidence was problematic. 

No, I'm certainly not suggesting you are a paedophile - just making a point.  However you twist and turn to support the line taken by the SNP leadership.  You never even consider the possibility that they are wrong in anything they say or do - do you ever think that maybe some of those near the top of the party are infiltrators?  If the Brit establishment could infiltrate the IRA, I'm sure they could do similar with a political party.  Would certainly explain some of the daft decisions since about 2017.

6 minutes ago, Alibi said:

No, I'm certainly not suggesting you are a paedophile - just making a point.  However you twist and turn to support the line taken by the SNP leadership.  You never even consider the possibility that they are wrong in anything they say or do - do you ever think that maybe some of those near the top of the party are infiltrators?  If the Brit establishment could infiltrate the IRA, I'm sure they could do similar with a political party.  Would certainly explain some of the daft decisions since about 2017.

Nothing would surprise me, although the reason why the security services managed to be so successful with the IRA was that they were able to leverage people who’d been caught doing illegal acts for the IRA and turn them.   That’s clearly not the case with the SNP.  

That said, again, nothing would surprise me but I wouldn’t restrict that the current day as the security services are known to play a long game.  Who that would be exactly, or indeed if there’s anyone, I’ve no idea but it would be likely to be the person who you’d least expect.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if some of the “critics” of the current SNP were agents provocateur though.  

33 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I was going to post something similar to this though it didn’t leave me feeling positive. 
I only seen the last 30 mins of it so realise my take on things could be different if I seen the whole show, however based on what I did see my observations were

Tory guy had an absolute howler. Was pleasing.

BBC probably knew it was a waste of time supporting the Tories in Scotland so gave the other other arse cheek,  aka Jackie Baillie , a platform to present a Labour political broadcast. 
Also, an audience member mentioned that a ferry hadnt been running for a month and that she had to make a 96 mile round trip to get to the studio . Fiona Bruce managed to shoehorn her plight at least 3 times throughout the rest of the show. 

McAllan was ok. Didn’t do anything wrong but didnt blow up my skirt either. Used scripted soundbites , wouldn’t fancy her chances under strong questioning. 

Salmond , by far the most competent person on the panel. Natural and sharp. He was the only one that sounded like he wasnt spouting party politics. He got the most claps by far which seems to fly in the face of public opinion. 
This is why I feel disappointed. The UK has very few outstanding politicians. IMO he is one of them but he is never going to be in pole position to drive independence . 

I thought McAllan tried hard but every time she spoke she was interrupted and shouted down by Fiona Bruce & Jabba Baillie.  She's a promising politician but not ready for a bear pit like that.  I was appalled by Fiona Bruce's initial "summary of events" which was a blatant attack on the SNP and the Scottish government - would she ever launch such a diatribe against any of the unionist parties?  It was clear she had an agenda.

Alex Salmond showed why he is head and shoulders above any other politician in Scotland. Calm but incisive, summed up where the SNP has gone wrong in recent years and spelled out the legislation that they should not have gone near.  i think Fiona Bruce actually said in her opening speech that Alex was the most unpopular politician in Scotland.  I wonder if that is actually true, because the audience applause suggested he is still pretty popular despite the best efforts of the Kirsty Warks and Dani Garavellis of this world.

Where Mairi McAllan should have stuck the knife in was Labour's policies: pro brexit, anti immigration, no FoM, no single market, basically Tory policies photocopied. Jabba spoke about people wanting "change", but can't actually elaborate on that.  I think Labour might get a real fright once people realise what they actually stand for, hard brexit and associated matters in particular.

11 minutes ago, Alibi said:

I thought McAllan tried hard but every time she spoke she was interrupted and shouted down by Fiona Bruce & Jabba Baillie.  She's a promising politician but not ready for a bear pit like that.  I was appalled by Fiona Bruce's initial "summary of events" which was a blatant attack on the SNP and the Scottish government - would she ever launch such a diatribe against any of the unionist parties?  It was clear she had an agenda.

Alex Salmond showed why he is head and shoulders above any other politician in Scotland. Calm but incisive, summed up where the SNP has gone wrong in recent years and spelled out the legislation that they should not have gone near.  i think Fiona Bruce actually said in her opening speech that Alex was the most unpopular politician in Scotland.  I wonder if that is actually true, because the audience applause suggested he is still pretty popular despite the best efforts of the Kirsty Warks and Dani Garavellis of this world.

Where Mairi McAllan should have stuck the knife in was Labour's policies: pro brexit, anti immigration, no FoM, no single market, basically Tory policies photocopied. Jabba spoke about people wanting "change", but can't actually elaborate on that.  I think Labour might get a real fright once people realise what they actually stand for, hard brexit and associated matters in particular.

I will have missed some of this in the first half of the programme. Doesn’t surprise me though and I don’t think I will rewatch on catch up , to save my blood pressure. 

McAllan is a young, pretty girl. Much as looks should have nothing to do with anything,  I don’t think anyone but real anti SNP folk would look favourably on her being shouted down by older women. Appearance does have an influence on some people. But she will need to be stronger than she was. She did manage to get in Labours hypocrisy on Brexit and that none of the 2 main Westminster parties have any intention of rejoining the EU. I actually thought she did ok on that. 

But Salmond was far superior. He addressed questions with direct answers, highlighting issues like the price of supermarket own brands , and the cost of electricity when there is no real increase to the underlying components. 

36 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

Fiona Bruce is a horrible subservient establishment cow. 

Her and a few other northern Brits are a bit more than useful idiots imo , unfortunately 

she gives me increasingly the heebie jeebies

she didn’t not miss a word or tactic to negate. Quite impressive in its detail. 

Incredible how miss cow ( my term for it since the 80’s , my choice) , someone I’ve only know of since the 80’s for spouting bile in the Sun, is still coining it . 
When she said we’re ALL feeling the cost of living crisis and they they cut to the tanned Lord Offal was her highlight. 

4 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

This is what doesn't make sense to me.  Even people who despise Salmond would acknowledge, grudgingly, that he is excellent at what he does (which is probably partly why they despise him) so why would people apparently on the same side want him neutralised?

He could have still done a lot of good for the cause in an 'elder statesman' role, possibly more.  I'm sure on a personal level he isn't everyone's cup of team but are people at the top of the SNP really so consumed by their own egos that they can see who and what the real enemy is?

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Nothing would surprise me, although the reason why the security services managed to be so successful with the IRA was that they were able to leverage people who’d been caught doing illegal acts for the IRA and turn them.   That’s clearly not the case with the SNP.  

That said, again, nothing would surprise me but I wouldn’t restrict that the current day as the security services are known to play a long game.  Who that would be exactly, or indeed if there’s anyone, I’ve no idea but it would be likely to be the person who you’d least expect.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if some of the “critics” of the current SNP were agents provocateur though.  

Are you sure about that?  🤔

43 minutes ago, scotlad said:

He could have still done a lot of good for the cause in an 'elder statesman' role, possibly more.  I'm sure on a personal level he isn't everyone's cup of team but are people at the top of the SNP really so consumed by their own egos that they can see who and what the real enemy is?

Are you sure about that?  🤔

The thing with the IRA is that *all* their members were doing illegal things, they were a terrorist organisation, that’s what their whole existence was about, so the scope was so much wider.

I must’ve missed the guns and bombs part of the SNP.

The way i see the Salmond trial was the press got wind of stories about Salmond. They would not let it drop quite obviously and the SNP, for so long had held Westminster parties to account for lack of action on MP scandals. It had to show it was not just another Westminster and be seen to act on allegations or else it would damage the independence movement and leave them open to unionists saying Holyrood was no different to Westminster. Salmond went to Surgeon and did admit to her inappropriate behaviour but did not want it going any further but by then the press had got hokd of it. 

56 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

She wasn’t on much in the last 1/2 hr but she seemed a shadow of her former self IMO . Not quite as aggressive. 

Was she anti SNP/Independence ?

I never knew she was Scottish

12 minutes ago, aaid said:

She’s from St Andrews so that’s arguable.  

True - but never in all the time she has been in the media has she ever made it known

At least Lulu admits it now her career is just about over

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Was she anti SNP/Independence ?

I never knew she was Scottish

I missed the start, I think thats when independence was discussed, so I have no idea. Nothing she said in the second half indicated one way or another,  she was mainly attacking the Tories . If she is pro independence however I will make a donation to the Scottish Tories. I have threatened to run round the village in the buff too often. 

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The way i see the Salmond trial was the press got wind of stories about Salmond. They would not let it drop quite obviously and the SNP, for so long had held Westminster parties to account for lack of action on MP scandals. It had to show it was not just another Westminster and be seen to act on allegations or else it would damage the independence movement and leave them open to unionists saying Holyrood was no different to Westminster. Salmond went to Surgeon and did admit to her inappropriate behaviour but did not want it going any further but by then the press had got hokd of it. 

nah man, I wish it were like that but unfortunately not