Question Time Tonight - Page 139 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Question Time Tonight

10 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Did you like the policy that was going to result in a massive pay cut for over 5 million people including nurses, police officers and armed forces outside of London ?

You know the one she had to backtrack on a couple of days ago and bin then claim she was misrepresented ?

She is the fucking village idiot and anything she is saying is 100% fuck all to do with her and will never be implemented  

A poundshop Johnson and Trump playbook bad actress

I think that there is justification for paying a london allowance.  This is hardly controversial.

a decent family home in Scotland might cost £500k, in London it would’ve closer to £2m

4 hours ago, Malcolm said:

I think that there is justification for paying a london allowance.  This is hardly controversial.

a decent family home in Scotland might cost £500k, in London it would’ve closer to £2m

A "decent" family home costs 500,000?? All right. Ours cost less than half that. I must be raising my family in filth.

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

"Treasonous commie talk" according to Malc.

the only way we all become better off is the capitalist system that we live within, one that rewards risk capital.  The way of the world is supply and demand.  You want a world class nhs?  Need to pay for it to attract the best talent.  Otherwise the student that was going to be a medic becomes an investment banker.

But how can a government afford to pay a premium?  It needs to generate tax receipts…. The best way to do that is not to take a bigger share of peoples wealth but encourage them to generate more wealth. Take a smaller slice of a bigger pie.

of course, costs can always be looked at and getting rid of diversity officers seems a good place to start.

the alternative was where we were heading in the 70s… lazy bastards doing minimal work demanding pay rises by striking. Our productivity versus the rest of the world was awful. Talent leaving the country due to 84% tax.  The more you take of peoples wealth the less inclined they are to create it.

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

the only way we all become better off is the capitalist system that we live within, one that rewards risk capital.  The way of the world is supply and demand.  You want a world class nhs?  Need to pay for it to attract the best talent.  Otherwise the student that was going to be a medic becomes an investment banker.

But how can a government afford to pay a premium?  It needs to generate tax receipts…. The best way to do that is not to take a bigger share of peoples wealth but encourage them to generate more wealth. Take a smaller slice of a bigger pie.

of course, costs can always be looked at and getting rid of diversity officers seems a good place to start.

the alternative was where we were heading in the 70s… lazy bastards doing minimal work demanding pay rises by striking. Our productivity versus the rest of the world was awful. Talent leaving the country due to 84% tax.  The more you take of peoples wealth the less inclined they are to create it.

capitalism.jpg

4 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

capitalism.jpg

capitalism has created an affluent middle class never seen before in the Uk.  Home ownership, share ownership, two car families with people even going abroad on holiday once or twice a year.

where was that in 1979… renting a council house and holidaying in Blackpool.  Lucky if you have one car in the family and renting a colour tele.

8 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Why do you think should there be a London allowance? Sounds a bit dirigiste, a bit statist, no?

Surely a true free marketer would allow supply and demand to find their own equilibrium, and not artificially favour one city? If people found London costs too high, houses too cramped and pay too low, surely they'd move to other parts of the country with nicer bigger houses and better pay, why would that be a bad thing?  A simple way of 'levelling up' the rest of the country outside London at a stroke?

Would the allowance not be the market responding. Given the exact same salary would you prefer to live in London or wherever you live now (as long as it not London).

IMHO London is a shit hole (unless you are loaded) and the public transport is extortionate and typically miserable and the prices are far too high for everything else as well. You'd have to pay me a lot more more to move back to that hell hole. They probably cant get enough staff if they don't offer it. 

Personally looking at the bigger picture this all looks like a deliberate program to impoverish people. Too many things piling up over years now for it all to coincidental IMHO.

31 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I believe in the power of the individual not the state.

A bit of a simplification, eh?

Without a state, there could be no public works, no public roads, no public health or welfare system and no one could even agree what money was. There would be a patchwork quilt of private land parcels, and you'd have to negotiate with each land owner to cross their land to get to the doctor and then barter with the doctor to get your handmade (unapproved) medicine. And if you had nothing to barter with, you'd be screwed.  

11 minutes ago, exile said:

A bit of a simplification, eh?

Without a state, there could be no public works, no public roads, no public health or welfare system and no one could even agree what money was. There would be a patchwork quilt of private land parcels, and you'd have to negotiate with each land owner to cross their land to get to the doctor and then barter with the doctor to get your handmade (unapproved) medicine. And if you had nothing to barter with, you'd be screwed.  

It is a simplification. You need a government to maintain order and a welfare state, but it should all be geared to making the individual as successful as possible.

20 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Would the allowance not be the market responding. Given the exact same salary would you prefer to live in London or wherever you live now (as long as it not London).

IMHO London is a shit hole (unless you are loaded) and the public transport is extortionate and typically miserable and the prices are far too high for everything else as well. You'd have to pay me a lot more more to move back to that hell hole. They probably cant get enough staff if they don't offer it. 

Personally looking at the bigger picture this all looks like a deliberate program to impoverish people. Too many things piling up over years now for it all to coincidental IMHO.

well that’s the Great Reset theory of the WEF.  “You will own nothing and be happy”.

government control of your life to be able to manage the climate crisis and wealth.

11 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

It is a simplification. You need a government to maintain order and a welfare state, but it should all be geared to making the individual as successful as possible.

So you believe in the power of the state, to deliver benefit to the individual? 😉

44 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

well that’s the Great Reset theory of the WEF.  “You will own nothing and be happy”.

government control of your life to be able to manage the climate crisis and wealth.

So you tell me... how is it possible so many nation states seem to be dancing to his (Schwab's) tune? Why is anyone listening this guff let alone seemingly enacting it. It is almost like they are all part of one club, a club they keep secret. The west has gone weird.

1 hour ago, exile said:

So you believe in the power of the state, to deliver benefit to the individual? 😉

the state has to exist to provide a safety net for this that fall.  I’m not a complete kunt that believes that there should be no safety net.

52 minutes ago, thplinth said:

So you tell me... how is it possible so many nation states seem to be dancing to his (Schwab's) tune? Why is anyone listening this guff let alone seemingly enacting it. It is almost like they are all part of one club, a club they keep secret. The west has gone weird.

I would like to hope that this is an unhappy coincidence and there is no planned reset, merely incompetence and bad luck.

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

I would like to hope that this is an unhappy coincidence and there is no planned reset, merely incompetence and bad luck.

I would like to hope a lot of things Malcom. But what do you believe or what is your humble opinion given what we know at this point. Obviously all of this is not just 'bad luck'.

almost certainly, Putins next move will be to cut off gas to Europe completely.  I suspect he will wait until well in to autumn.

at that point, energy prices will rise to well over 10k for an average bill, effectively making energy use unviable for most in the UK.

It’s at that point we are in dangerous territory….. who knows what could happen in these desperate times.

18 hours ago, Malcolm said:

The good old textbook explanation that uber capitalists like to churn out to make themselves seem a bit better about themselves . Problem is , in real life, things rarely work the way the text book says they will, particularly when wealthy  greedy bastards still try to avoid what little tax they are asked to pay and the wee guy has to suffer instead. 

I had hoped you were a genuine poster who  really was undecided about independence but I am convinced you are here mainly on the wind up. The tunnocks teacake post on the biscuit thread convinced me 🙄

And if the average household bill rises to £10k a year I will not only run round the buff in my village I will pay for the heating on your big hoose.
Pure hysteria. Unless of course you are assuming everyone lives in a £500 k+  house.