Question Time Tonight - Page 129 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Question Time Tonight

Had to switch Radio 5s BBCQT Extra Time off

There was some ultra anti SNP house jock from London wittering on about bad unchecked nationalism and Angela Haggerty in Glasgow never interjected

11 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

Long since gave up on watching that Yoonfest. I'd honestly fear for the wellbeing of my telly with the sight of that toadying cunt Ross

Exactly the same

There is no positive case for the Union so have absolutely no time for letting servile house jocks boil my blood

I usually guage how it's going on twitter but it has been down since it started

19 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Had to switch Radio 5s BBCQT Extra Time off

There was some ultra anti SNP house jock from London wittering on about bad unchecked nationalism and Angela Haggerty in Glasgow never interjected

I think I heard that guy, later. Kept shouting "anti-English racist nationalists" while (London based) demanding a vote on the basis of being, er native born from Scotland.

Also spinning some strange line about how it's great there are so many top Scots in good jobs in London, like the police (as if an argument against independence? Like it wouldn't be possible to be a Scottish emigre in London any more? Like London isn't full of immigrants working their way into top jobs?)

4 hours ago, exile said:

I think I heard that guy, later. Kept shouting "anti-English racist nationalists" while (London based) demanding a vote on the basis of being, er native born from Scotland.

Also spinning some strange line about how it's great there are so many top Scots in good jobs in London, like the police (as if an argument against independence? Like it wouldn't be possible to be a Scottish emigre in London any more? Like London isn't full of immigrants working their way into top jobs?)

Funny such creeps are probably fanboys of the real nationalist racists. Farage and Johnson to name but two

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It was my impression that Bruce repeatedly challenged Whitford on Scottish death rates, the size of the COVID curve, the Scottish rate of vaccinations and an accusation of doing something else wrong in Scotland (track & trace?), all questions from her little sheet of 'facts'. I don't recall her asking the Tory or Labour politicians how England or Wales rates were doing.

8 hours ago, exile said:

It was my impression that Bruce repeatedly challenged Whitford on Scottish death rates, the size of the COVID curve, the Scottish rate of vaccinations and an accusation of doing something else wrong in Scotland (track & trace?), all questions from her little sheet of 'facts'. I don't recall her asking the Tory or Labour politicians how England or Wales rates were doing.

Quelle suprise as the French say.

11 hours ago, exile said:

As soon as Whitford mentioned that infection rates in Scotland were running at about half the rate per 100k as the rUK, Bruce came in with some sort of smarmy put-down; she then took a contribution from some woman with a Scottish accent who was all Scotland bad, SNP bad, we're not really doing better (this week's orange jaiket plant).  Whitford should maybe have asked why the BBC no longer give figures for Scotland but just lump all UK nations in together - the Covid equivalent of distorting the weather map to make folk thing Scotland is the size of the Isle of Man.

On 1/15/2021 at 11:37 AM, Alibi said:

As soon as Whitford mentioned that infection rates in Scotland were running at about half the rate per 100k as the rUK, Bruce came in with some sort of smarmy put-down; she then took a contribution from some woman with a Scottish accent who was all Scotland bad, SNP bad, we're not really doing better (this week's orange jaiket plant).  Whitford should maybe have asked why the BBC no longer give figures for Scotland but just lump all UK nations in together - the Covid equivalent of distorting the weather map to make folk thing Scotland is the size of the Isle of Man.

Indeed. The telling thing, I think, is that Bruce's interventions were entirely her own, and entirely aimed at Whitford. The Tory and Labour politicians were asked to answer the audience's question, and anything following from the conversation. Bruce added her own, new questions (about comparative stats bnetween Scotland and rest of UK) tailor made for Whitford; they were not from the audience and they were not put to the other politicians.

Yes the "Scotland bad" lady made the allegations but Bruce didn't give Whitford a chance to reply.

I don't always watch it but it's interesting to see the BBC stilll "at it" when you do.

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

The story on sky news regarding a question on bully policy change in 2010 and how the question was handled shows a worrying way in which things are dealt with in the hierarchy of the party,, very bizarre 

And who was leader in 2010?

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

The story on sky news regarding a question on bully policy change in 2010 and how the question was handled shows a worrying way in which things are dealt with in the hierarchy of the party,, very bizarre 

This is a total non-story and is an attempt by Sky - and jumped on by the Unionists - to muddy the waters and to make Nicola Sturgeon look bad.   In doing this, it is deliberately conflating two separate things separated by almost a decade.

Firstly, the accusation of misleading parliament aimed at Nicola Sturgeon is that she told parliament that the first she'd heard of the accusations of sexual misconduct was when Alex Salmond told her himself on April 2nd 2018.   That was specifically related to the two allegations made in early 2018 by Scottish Government employees under a new disciplinary process which had been put together in late 2017.   That wasn't "any allegations, rumours or gossip at any time ever".   

There is some suggestion that at an earlier meeting on March 29th with Geoff Aberdein and Liz Lloyd that she might have found out then - I guess if and when we hear accounts from all present of exactly what was discussed, we will be in a better position to decide.

This "story" refers to something completely different, in fact, in attempting to conflate the details outlined above, with these allegations, it also conflates two entirely different things.

The first of these are allegations - which were never substantiated or taken further - of Salmond acting inappropriately at Edinburgh Airport in 2009.   For some reason they were not reported directly to the police or any authorities, the MD of Edinburgh Airport took it up with Angus Robertson - who was the leader of the Westminster group - and asked him to speak to Salmond about it - which he did.  By all accounts no-one else either in the SNP or Scottish Government were aware of this until they were contacted by Sky News for comment in November 2017.

Sky were obviously either not confident in the source or their lawyers spiked the story as it never saw the light of day until a year or so later after the SG investigation was made public.   

In this story, the email chain that has now been leaked to Sky News is about the SG response to those inquiries from Sky.   I'd put money on the person leaking that to be the same person - or connected to - someone who comments later in the piece.   

This is being spun to suggest that Nicola Sturgeon knew about allegations of sexual misconduct against Alex Salmond in November 2017, not April 2018 as she'd stated.   That she knew of unsubstantiated allegations is true, but these were completely different from those which surfaced in April.   In fact, Nicola Sturgeon is on the record as saying that when she heard that Salmond wanted to speak to her in April that she thought the "Sky News story" had resurfaced.

Another interesting aside is that it was apparently this Sky News story that kicked off the whole investigation.   It seems that the first the SG heard was that Salmond had approached some SG employees presumably for their evidence to try and disprove the allegations.  At least one of these was one of the original two complainers and it was her concerns about this which led to discussions with HR where her concerns about historic behaviour first surfaced.

The other part that is being dragged in to muddy the waters is the 2010 Fairness at Work policy which was carried out when Salmond was FM but which Nicola Sturgeon was heavily involved in producing.  That of course is totally different from the one that ultimately led to him being charged.

A lot was made of this in earlier evidence to the committee as to whether or not there had been any allegations or suspicions of sexual misconduct of Alex Salmond then - at a point when he was FM.   The answer was no on both points, they then went on to ask whether or not there had been any complaints made about general bullying.   The implication here is that under that process, the deputy FM - then Nicola Sturgeon - was the person who these allegations would be brought to and that Nicola Sturgeon knew then that Salmond was a bully.   Be clear, that's all about trying to skewer Sturgeon.

Unsurprisingly there were no actual allegations although there was some discussion that he - Salmond - could be considered to be difficult to work for, demanding and set high standards.   I guess depending on your perspective that could be considered as bullying, but without specific allegations and examples its impossible to make a judgement.  However, no formal allegations were made and nothing ended up in Nicola Sturgeon's in-tray.

This story is an utter embarrassment.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh dear Michael Forsyth, looking as if he couldn't be arsed any more, argued against Johnson's border control policy and then said the fishing deal was a mess and should be undone.

Strangely, no questions on the great vaccination roll-out...

Edited by exile